There are 193 users in the forums

Iupati over Bulaga??? WTF

• SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Don't worry, jr80 NickBradely is kind of hard headed.

Davis/Bulaga would have been equivelant to drafting two OT/OGs!

?

why not just draft the best C and play him wherever you want

lol
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigtony2tone:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Did you see how quickly Miami traded OUT of their spot after we jumped over them?

They did it cause they are not solid across their Line and Davis is a stud. If they were after someone else or they thought they could get a better offer(they could have since they went WAY down) they would have sat on it til at least the 3 minute mark was left on the clock. But soon as we jumped over them they pulled the trigger. They wanted Davis. Mark my words on that. They wanted him and instead we got him. I'd waste a 3rd rounder for that kind of reaction any day of the year. That was EPIC.

~Ceadder

That was my assumption. It was REALLY quick. And knowing now how for Bulaga fell, it's obvious that Davis was the better pick.

exactly! miami wanted davis
[ Edited by dmax on Apr 23, 2010 at 7:59 AM ]
We got two freakin' studs...Davis and Iupati will transform our OL...get over it.
Originally posted by dmax:
Why would anyone rather project a high floor/low ceiling OT to OG over the consensus BEST OG in the draft? Why man? Stop it now! I'd understand maybe if we'd picked Pouncey instead. But we're talking about Iupati-----an absolute stud!

Happy with the picks...would have been happier with Bulaga -- maximizes the likelihood of a stud RT.

I'll admit I really REALLY wanted Bulaga. But I understand why Davis was the pick. Much higher ceiling player. I am still confused why we traded up for him though. Seems like a waste of a 4th round pick.

Did you see how quickly Miami traded OUT of their spot after we jumped over them?

They did it cause they are not solid across their Line and Davis is a stud. If they were after someone else or they thought they could get a better offer(they could have since they went WAY down) they would have sat on it til at least the 3 minute mark was left on the clock. But soon as we jumped over them they pulled the trigger. They wanted Davis. Mark my words on that. They wanted him and instead we got him. I'd waste a 3rd rounder for that kind of reaction any day of the year. That was EPIC.

~Ceadder

That was my assumption. It was REALLY quick. And knowing now how for Bulaga fell, it's obvious that Davis was the better pick.

Miami didn't want Davis. They wanted to recoup that 2nd rounder they lost when they traded for Marshall.

I'm convinced Davis would have been there at 17 and may have fallen past Buluga in GB. Other than Pittsburgh there really wasn't any teams looking for OL.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 23, 2010 at 9:06 AM ]
I would bet that all 32 teams had Iupati rated higher than Bulaga. One of the guys on NFLN said that the Steelers were angry because they were set on Iupati. Just because Bulaga played guard doesn't mean he can do it better than Iupati. And with your thinking if Davis doesn't work at RT then move him inside since a lot of people think Iupati can be a very good RT.
Why are we even having this conversation? We had already selected an OT in Davis. Are you advocating for two OTs? That is just not that smart when we had a glaring need at OG.

If you are advocating Bulaga over Davis, fine, that is your opinion. I defintely feel Davis much higher upside, where Bulaga probably has less room to grow.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

~Ceadder

Miami didn't want Davis. They wanted to recoup that 2nd rounder they lost when they traded for Marshall.

I'm convinced Davis would have been there at 17 and may have fallen past Buluga in GB. Other than Pittsburgh there really wasn't any teams looking for OL.

With your knowledge of the other nfl teams draft boards could you enlighten us who might be available at our next pick?

Seriously you have no f**king idea how nfl scouts actually viewed him. What I do know is that both Denver and Miami were actively trying to trade down and that Davis was the player the Niners were targeting and really wanted.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I would bet that all 32 teams had Iupati rated higher than Bulaga. One of the guys on NFLN said that the Steelers were angry because they were set on Iupati. Just because Bulaga played guard doesn't mean he can do it better than Iupati. And with your thinking if Davis doesn't work at RT then move him inside since a lot of people think Iupati can be a very good RT.

after picking Davis, I bet that Pitt did not think we were picking Iupati. They guess wrong.

I concur with everything said.

My feeling is that we blinked when a more studly group would have stood tight. I'm very disappointed that we gave up a pick in a very DEEP draft to jump pver one team (miami), when both teams ahead of us were not in need of an OT. I know the Niners made the standard excuse: "We were afraid someone else would jump ahead of us". Yea, right! Just didn't have the nerve, or ability to analyze what was going on.

It's just plain disingenuous to say that something was wrong with Bulaga ('thoughhe did have that Thyroid problem) and that is why he fell. I'm sure some teams had him rated higher. Davis is NOT perfect. Interesting that Green Bay picked him up (They needed a OT also, but held their ground). There are a lot of highly rated OTs still out there, no need to panic. Shades of Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers (there was something terribly wrong with Rodgers too, right?). Will be interesting to see how Bulaga works out for them versus Davis for us. GBs offensive line has been worse that ours.

We needed to be accumulating picks not giving them away unneccesarily.

Nick: I just knew that you would stir up a hornets nest by bringing this up. I, of course, totally understand the point you are making and I do agree with you. But the homies on this site are so myopic, it's almost not worth the effort to present another point of view. This is supposed to be a DISCUSSION board, but more and more it's becoming dominated by people who just "don't want to know" or discuss anything in a civil manner.

What people are failing to recognized is that you and me (and several others who are silent) are PERFECTLY HAPPY with the way things have gone . . . we just feel that things could have been better. The possibiltites were there, that's all that's being discussed.

I stand for being totally against unnecessarily giving away picks in a deep draft. I believe that we did that yesterday. It has severely limited the team's ability to fill critical needs. Cornerback, for sure. Pass rusher (unless you think Laboy is the answer . . . I don't). Game-breaker is going to have to wait until next year.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Iupati is so underrated on this board he kicked ass at the senior bowl.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1I9VDf1bFI

When the scouts eyes leave, your eyes enter.

Iupati dominated at the Senior Bowl practices against All-Stars. That's all the scouts care to watch.

ok im tired of this

for the last time iupati played RT at senior bowl when he was a LG he dominated in practice as an LG and he will be p[laying LG for us

Exactly. When Iupati was asked to play RT for the Senior Bowl, a position he never played, he struggled big time. BUT, when he played his usual gaurd postion he dominated in practices.

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

My feeling is that we blinked when a more studly group would have stood tight. I'm very disappointed that we gave up a pick in a very DEEP draft to jump pver one team (miami), when both teams ahead of us were not in need of an OT. I know the Niners made the standard excuse: "We were afraid someone else would jump ahead of us". Yea, right! Just didn't have the nerve, or ability to analyze what was going on.

It's just plain disingenuous to say that something was wrong with Bulaga ('thoughhe did have that Thyroid problem) and that is why he fell. I'm sure some teams had him rated higher. Davis is NOT perfect. Interesting that Green Bay picked him up (They needed a OT also, but held their ground). There are a lot of highly rated OTs still out there, no need to panic. Shades of Alex Smith/Aaron Rodgers (there was something terribly wrong with Rodgers too, right?). Will be interesting to see how Bulaga works out for them versus Davis for us. GBs offensive line has been worse that ours.

Nick: I just knew that you would stir up a hornets nest by bringing this up. I, of course, totally understand the point you are making and I do agree with you. But the homies on this site are so myopic, it's almost not worth the effort to present another point of view. This is supposed to be a DISCUSSION board, but more and more it's becoming dominated by people who just "don't want to know" or discuss anything in a civil manner.

What people are failing to recognized is that you and me (and several others who are silent) are PERFECTLY HAPPY with the way things have gone . . . we just feel that things could have been better. The possibiltites were there, that's all that's being discussed.

I stand for being totally against unnecessarily giving away picks in a deep draft. I believe that we did that yesterday. It has severely limited the team's ability to fill critical needs. Cornerback, for sure. Pass rusher (unless you think Laboy is the answer . . . I don't). Game-breaker is going to have to wait until next year.

Exactly how many roster spots do you think are open for rookies coming out of this draft? Would a 4th rounder even made the roster?

If the FO thought there was the possibility that someone was going to trade ahead of them for the guy they think will help solidify the line, then they acted responsibly. Whether they were right is yet to be determined.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

Exactly how many roster spots do you think are open for rookies coming out of this draft? Would a 4th rounder even made the roster?

If the FO thought there was the possibility that someone was going to trade ahead of them for the guy they think will help solidify the line, then they acted responsibly. Whether they were right is yet to be determined.

That is what I am saying, we only have like 5 or 6 roster spots open. The 2 1st rounders, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder, and Ted Ginn will fill those spots and we might fill another spot with another FA or 2. The guys we are drafting, might all be starting, Im talking about the 2 1st rounders and 2nd and 3rd rounder.
Watch the Singletary inverview on ComcastSports. He said that the two guys that they picked personafied the vision that Singletary had: Huge guys with long arms that has a nasty streak and has the ability to maul people. I don't think Bulaga fits that mold.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

~Ceadder

With your knowledge of the other nfl teams draft boards could you enlighten us who might be available at our next pick?

Seriously you have no f**king idea how nfl scouts actually viewed him. What I do know is that both Denver and Miami were actively trying to trade down and that Davis was the player the Niners were targeting and really wanted.

That's not a knock on the pick or the trade up I'm just stating it was unnecessary. You don't need to have an advanced knowledge of other teams draft boards to know that, and you don't need to know how scouts viewed him either. All you need is a little hindsight and the ability to put 2 and 2 together. There wasn't a market for tackles after the run between 6-10, and Philly and San Diego were the teams looking to go up. Neither one of them cared for a tackle.

Tell me the teams that could desired him at 11? Pittsburgh and that's it.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 23, 2010 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Iupati is a guard, Bulaga would be a converted guard.

You can't be serious can you?

Dude, Bulaga IS a converted guard -- he played OG at Iowa before sliding over to OT.

Most tackles start out at guard as freshmen in college, then move to guard as the Seniors and Juniors graduate or move on to the NFL.
Share 49ersWebzone