LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 189 users in the forums

Steelers may shake up draft

Originally posted by hungarian9erfan:
so if the steelers trade Ben to either Oakland or buffalo, who's gonna be their pick?

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

I would think a QB unless they think Dennis Dixon is the man
Originally posted by valrod33:
so if the steelers trade Ben to either Oakland or buffalo, who's gonna be their pick?

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

yeah, it would have to be Clausen.
  • dj43

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

Though Dixon showed some promise last year, he certainly did not seem ready to be the starter.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

I could actually see Clausen fitting in well there.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

i'd rather him be there than here

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

so if their pick is Clausen, that would be great news as both OAK and BUF is projected to go with OT.
[ Edited by hungarian9erfan on Apr 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM ]

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

so if their pick is Clausen, that would be great news as both OAK and BUF is projected to go with OT.

exactly, Clausen going in the top ten only benefits us: it means he has no chance of ending up here, and it means that a player that we can use immediately will probably fall to us.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by dj43:

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

Though Dixon showed some promise last year, he certainly did not seem ready to be the starter.

NFL: QB Byron Leftwich returns to Pittsburgh Steelers in trade

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_14923947
Yes, I saw that. Obviously a BandAid to protect if Ben is suspended.

The big question will be what Rooney decides about Ben. The Steelers have a long history of being on the squeaky clean side. Also, the Rooney family is royality around the NFL. They do not want to see that image tarnished, and Ben appears to have tarnished it. The Steeler culture is quite different from much of the rest of the league. I would not be at all surprised to see the Steelers draft Clausen via a trade for Ben, ie., send Ben to one of the top teams that need a QB in exchange for draft position and a 2nd round pick. Ben has legit value as a QB hence could give the Steelers the chance to draft two impact players in exchange for him.

Clausen?
Spiller?
OT?

NFL: QB Byron Leftwich returns to Pittsburgh Steelers in trade

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_14923947
Yes, I saw that. Obviously a BandAid to protect if Ben is suspended.

The big question will be what Rooney decides about Ben. The Steelers have a long history of being on the squeaky clean side. Also, the Rooney family is royality around the NFL. They do not want to see that image tarnished, and Ben appears to have tarnished it. The Steeler culture is quite different from much of the rest of the league. I would not be at all surprised to see the Steelers draft Clausen via a trade for Ben, ie., send Ben to one of the top teams that need a QB in exchange for draft position and a 2nd round pick. Ben has legit value as a QB hence could give the Steelers the chance to draft two impact players in exchange for him.

OK, it looks like Big Ben is getting a 6-game suspension from Goodell. The fact that this was announced BEFORE the draft (bad timing for bad NFL publicity), tells me that Goodell wanted to make Big Ben marketable for the Steelers during the draft. And I do believe that thw Rooneys will, in fact, move Big Ben this week, absolutely affecting the draft. Who woul go after him? My guess would be Cleveland (because they hate the Steelers) or Buffalo (where they can never attract a unique talent like Big Ben otherwise and fans will accept him).

I agree tha Leftwich is just a placeholder. If the Steelers go for QB in the draft, who better to restore integrity and fit the Steelers tough guy - run first persona than Tebow? They wouldn't even have to trade-up to get him (unless they were worried about Al Davis picking Tebow at #8 to make the Raiders relevant again).

California kid Clausen, with his arrogant Jeff George-like personality, would not be a fit in Steeler-land. Likewise, McCoy is too much of a "pretty boy" for the Steel Town.
[ Edited by jimbagg on Apr 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM ]

Tweet from Maiocco:

RT @Adam_Schefter Here are teams that Steelers have called about Roethlisberger: Rams, 49ers, Raiders, Bills, Jaguars, Seahawks and Browns.

Follow-up Tweet from Shefter:

Here are the known no's on interest in Roethlisberger right now: Rams, Bills. Others might not be, just not known yet.

Damn. Bills are a no. Damn.
I hope the Steelers or some other team trades up for Clausen. They are trading from a position of weakness. Byron Leftwich as their starter for 6 games?
Adam Schaefter reported that the 49ers have been contacted by the Steelers! WOW!
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by teeohh:
here's a pft article

that they've gotten "trade feelers"

They may get feelers but until his legal status is fully defined, no one is going to invest a pick or a player. I don't think his status will settled by Thursday, so it will leave the Steelers in a difficult situation. Of course, there could be some plea bargain to set something up but the league would have to agree to the terms to let him play, and if he pleads to any charge greater than a misdemeanor, I can't see him playing for a while.

The charges sound very serious. Considering it is his second "situation," I don't think he is going to be playing football in September.

There are no "charges." The DA investigated for weeks at a time and found nothing at all.
Make it "allegations."

Somebody must have found something or the NFL would not be considering a 4-6 week suspension (per ESPN).

Yeah there must be some hard evidence or additional hard evidence - maybe not evidence for rape, but certainly a chorus of voices can drown out the best singer. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if there aren't other suits in play.

The NFL doesn't need evidence to suspend Ben. All they need do is to state that his actions (illegal or not) have reflected poorly on the Steelers and the NFL, as a reason.

The NFL is NOT conducting an investigation to form a determination of Bens guilt or lack there of. Goodell is simply debating with himself what is appropriate. I think much of that will depend where Ben resides after the draft. If he remains with the Steelers, I doubt he is suspended at all, or any more than a 2 game at worse. If he is traded I expect a 4 game suspension.

Sources: Roethlisberger ban 4-6 games
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be suspended for four to six games on Wednesday for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy, multiple sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen and ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

When the suspension is announced, it will contain conditions that will allow it to be reduced based on Roethlisberger's behavior and compliance with clinical evaluators.

Commissioner Roger Goodell's verdict will reinforce a message that NFL employees will be held to a higher standard than the law.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5121614

WIN: why did you think that he wouldn't get suspended if staying with Pitt?

Because the Rooney's are so well thought of around the NFL. I think the punishment will be minimal is he remains a Steeler cause of the owners (same scenario's exist with the Jets), but if traded the punsihment will be more harsh.

Also I read or heard somewhere that Goodell wouldn't rule until after the draft. IMO to allow for considerations as to whether he is with the Steelers or not.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Adam Schaefter reported that the 49ers have been contacted by the Steelers! WOW!

Yeah but ...... Remember the local reaction (reportedly) regarding Vick? Surely Ben would be equally unmarketable in SF just when they need friends for the stadium project?Or am I wrong?
Share 49ersWebzone