LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't mind Clausen at 13 and Davis/Bulaga/Iupati at 17. Clausen's got a good arm and seems to be real accurate. Alex still has alot of question marks and Clausen maybe the answer for the next 10 years. We'll see what happens.
^^^

Nice post. The jury is definitely out on Alex. Is he really the QB that will lead us deep into the playoffs? I respectfully say no.

I went back to watch the Crabtree highlight video and noticed that Alex's passes are all over the place. Rarely does he hit a receiver in the numbers. His mechanics are still flawed because he doesn't get his hips into the throw, he doesn't step into his tosses, has very limited vision, isn't a great leader and he's quick to bail out of the pocket (ala the famous sprint to the right sideline play). Let's face it, Alex has a long laundry list of items that need quick improvement.

The Clausen topic has me waffling back and forth. I've finally come to a conclusion that I would be upset if we trade multiple picks to move up. But would I would not be upset if the Niners pick Clausen at #13 or #17.
Originally posted by kem99:

I don't believe Clausen will make it to 13 much less 17 but Kawakami is right in saying it would be the right thing to do IF you believe he can be a franchise QB.

But if we end up trading both picks in exchange (with the Browns) for let's say... their 7th + 38th, I think we'd be starting Clausen from day one of mini-camp, and deal Alex Smith away by the end of Friday. (That's Tim K's estimated scenario, but highly unlikely).

But I think Jed has max authority on this draft ala Jerry Jones, if Jed wants Jimmy Clausen the deal will be done.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kem99:

I don't believe Clausen will make it to 13 much less 17 but Kawakami is right in saying it would be the right thing to do IF you believe he can be a franchise QB.

But if we end up trading both picks in exchange (with the Browns) for let's say... their 7th + 38th, I think we'd be starting Clausen from day one of mini-camp, and deal Alex Smith away by the end of Friday. (That's Tim K's estimated scenario, but highly unlikely).

But I think Jed has max authority on this draft ala Jerry Jones, if Jed wants Jimmy Clausen the deal will be done.

I'd agree that scenario would seem unlikely unless it comes from ownership. A smaller move from 13 to 10 might be more likely. My comments were mainly focused on whether the 49ers would or should pick Clausen at 13 if he fell into their laps like Crabtree did last year.
If we get our RT at #13 and Clausen is sitting there at #17, we better trade back.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by foreign49er:
If we get our RT at #13 and Clausen is sitting there at #17, we better trade back.

Lol my thouhgts exactly, I just don't like Clausen or don't see him as our starter for some reason.
  • yummy12
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Luca:

Lol my thouhgts exactly, I just don't like Clausen or don't see him as our starter for some reason.

yet you like a 6 year bust in smith...go firgure...
Originally posted by yummy12:

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Originally posted by pete98146:
^^^

Nice post. The jury is definitely out on Alex. Is he really the QB that will lead us deep into the playoffs? I respectfully say no.

I went back to watch the Crabtree highlight video and noticed that Alex's passes are all over the place. Rarely does he hit a receiver in the numbers. His mechanics are still flawed because he doesn't get his hips into the throw, he doesn't step into his tosses, has very limited vision, isn't a great leader and he's quick to bail out of the pocket (ala the famous sprint to the right sideline play). Let's face it, Alex has a long laundry list of items that need quick improvement.

The Clausen topic has me waffling back and forth. I've finally come to a conclusion that I would be upset if we trade multiple picks to move up. But would I would not be upset if the Niners pick Clausen at #13 or #17.

Keep in mind that they didn't have good timing together because Crab missed all of TC and Smith didn't practice with the 1s for the first 5 weeks of the season. Better indicator is looking at Smith's throws to Davis, some of which are high, but included 10 TDs.

They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

Ya those teams really have a lot to show for it dont they?

the Packers, Falcons, Jets and even the Ravens would beg to differ about your formula, they all are playoff teams with newly acquired 1st round QB's.

LMFAO...........
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Clausen.....sure....1st round HELL NO.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
They say, sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. The smart move would be to sit tight, grab two impact players at #13 and #17 and continue to build this team into a SB contender. To gamble again on a 1st round QB that many experts aren't completely sold on would just be repeating the Alex Smith mistake. This team is not in rebuilding mode anymore where we have 2-3 years to wait for a rookie QB to possibly develop...we're in the hunt for a division title and playoff spot THIS YEAR. We're on the cusp of returning this franchise to prominence, and people are talking about gambling with a 1st round QB?

Unbelievable.

Over the last few years, teams like Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC have been able to make upgrades to their QB position by trading for proven veterans...we can do the same if we're willing to be shrewd about it.

Question is, how shrewd is our front office? Are they really willing to go down that high draft pick rookie QB path again, given how close this team is?

You're missing the point. First, how often are the "experts" ever completely sold on a player in the draft, much less a QB? If that's going to be your criteria, then you would be waiting a long time before ever getting a franchise QB, which recent history shows you need to win a SB in today's NFL.

Second, it would not be "repeating the Alex Smith mistake." Taking a QB at 13 in the first round is a lot different than taking one at 1st overall in terms of the investment. Beyond that, as you note, this team is not rebuilding so even if Clausen had to play, he would have the support around him that Smith lacked until last year. Even more important, however, is that with Smith still here, Clausen would not have to play his first year. He could sit and watch and not get beat up physically or mentally the way Smith did. And, that does not even mention that Clausen comes in having played in an NFL style offense and having been coached by a very respected NFL OC/QB Coach as opposed to Smith coming in from Urban Meyer's spread offense where he did not have to make progressions in his reads.

Third, the 49ers would still be in the division race THIS year with Smith as the starter.

Fourth, lets look at your mentioning of Chicago, Washington, Houston and KC's trades for QBs. As has been mentioned, so far, none of those have worked out very well for the Bears, Texans and Chiefs. Schaub was not a "proven" veteran and it took him a couple of years before he had a breakout year. Cutler cost the Bears a bundle in terms of $$$ and draft picks. KC gambled on Cassel, who did not look the same without the support he had in NE and there are already rumblings questioning whether he is the long term answer. McNabb we don't know about yet but do you really want to invest a 1st or 2nd round pick in a 30+ year old QB in the last year of his contract? Really?

Okay, how close is this team? Do you want to win the NFC West or do you want to contend for championships? I'm willing to give Smith 1 more year but if you close your eyes and picture the next 49er SB championship, do you see Smith as the QB? If the answer is no, then the 49ers have to at least consider taking Clausen if they think he can be that guy.
Share 49ersWebzone