There are 297 users in the forums

The Clausen Propaganda Machine is Going Into Overdrive

There are probably 3-4 guys next year that could come out and would be selected over Clausen. If Smith falters then fine, we get our future QB. This year we are too close and Alex finally has a shot. I am a Smith fan but if he doesn't get it done this yea buh bye. There are NO excuses this year.

Possibly QBs next year: Looks much better than this year's IMO

Jake Locker, Washington
Andrew Luck, Stanford (RS sophomore)
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas (RS junior)
Christian Ponder, Florida State
Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M
Terrell Pryor, Ohio State (junior)
Robert Griffin, Baylor (junior)
Jacory Harris, Miami (junior)
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
Nick Foles, Arizona
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 21, 2010 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by postonhater:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have nothing against Clausen. I just have a problem with taking a QB in the 1st round period...unless he's a SURE FIRE starter who will help us get to the playoffs. That's what the 49ers need to ask themselves...will the QB we draft get us over the "hump?"

I'm not saying Alex is FOR SURE going to lead us to the playoffs but I have MORE confidence in Alex leading us right now than some rookie QB who has to learn the system, etc etc. At the end of the day, we'll have more unproven over paid QBs & the worst o-line in the NFL...and yet another 8-8 or worse season. Its a never ending cycle with this team. BPA is fine...but sometimes, you have to fill NEEDS. We DESPERATELY need a solid RT and RG. We NEED help in the secondary, and WE NEED solid pass rushers. It'd be NICE to have a proven QB/pro bowl guy...but thats not available and its unrealistic.

Say we draft Clausen...then what..? Yeah in theory, it works out if Alex sucks it up (yet another losing season) then HOPEFULLY Jimmy pans out (more relying on HOPE and POTENTIAL for AT LEAST 2-3 years).

OR

We draft Clausen...Smith tears it up or does reasonably well to extend his contract...what do we do then? Extend Smith and trade Clausen? Trade Smith (and he goes and does well elsewhere and we regret it) while we "develop" Clausen (1-3 years of development)....?

I dont know man...just seems like it would create a sh*t storm if we draft Clausen. I feel like this team is FINALLY turning the corner...Alex is FINALLY becoming "FUNCTIONAL" since we actually used common sense and kept the same coordinator/offense, we actually have WRs/TE/RB, a solid defense...ALL we NEED desperately is protection for our QB and RB. And this isn't based on "hope" and "potential...." this is based on IMPROVED performances in 2009. No denying that.

We'll see, but I really hope we don't draft Clausen. If we're going to trade up...let's trade up for Suh or Okung/Williams, etc.

I agree on the sh*tstorm aspect. For one, it could destroy Alex's growing confidence (he looks like a leader in minicamp for the first time) and divide the locker room.

On what we do if Smith tears it up:

- we re-sign Smith to a 3 or 4 year deal with a lot of options in it. We Keep Clausen through '11 and trade him if Smith sputters or gets hurt again.

Think of Clausen as an insurance option.

Agreed.

But Clausen would be a really expensive "insurance option."

Yeah no one is really thinking of the $ side of doing this. I think its hilarious that Kawakami comes and says the 9ers should take him (his opinion) and today ESPN says today that the 9ers are "enamored" with Clausen. That's funny

honestly i thinj kawakami is an idiot has horrible ideas
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by postonhater:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I have nothing against Clausen. I just have a problem with taking a QB in the 1st round period...unless he's a SURE FIRE starter who will help us get to the playoffs. That's what the 49ers need to ask themselves...will the QB we draft get us over the "hump?"

I'm not saying Alex is FOR SURE going to lead us to the playoffs but I have MORE confidence in Alex leading us right now than some rookie QB who has to learn the system, etc etc. At the end of the day, we'll have more unproven over paid QBs & the worst o-line in the NFL...and yet another 8-8 or worse season. Its a never ending cycle with this team. BPA is fine...but sometimes, you have to fill NEEDS. We DESPERATELY need a solid RT and RG. We NEED help in the secondary, and WE NEED solid pass rushers. It'd be NICE to have a proven QB/pro bowl guy...but thats not available and its unrealistic.

Say we draft Clausen...then what..? Yeah in theory, it works out if Alex sucks it up (yet another losing season) then HOPEFULLY Jimmy pans out (more relying on HOPE and POTENTIAL for AT LEAST 2-3 years).

OR

We draft Clausen...Smith tears it up or does reasonably well to extend his contract...what do we do then? Extend Smith and trade Clausen? Trade Smith (and he goes and does well elsewhere and we regret it) while we "develop" Clausen (1-3 years of development)....?

I dont know man...just seems like it would create a sh*t storm if we draft Clausen. I feel like this team is FINALLY turning the corner...Alex is FINALLY becoming "FUNCTIONAL" since we actually used common sense and kept the same coordinator/offense, we actually have WRs/TE/RB, a solid defense...ALL we NEED desperately is protection for our QB and RB. And this isn't based on "hope" and "potential...." this is based on IMPROVED performances in 2009. No denying that.

We'll see, but I really hope we don't draft Clausen. If we're going to trade up...let's trade up for Suh or Okung/Williams, etc.

I agree on the sh*tstorm aspect. For one, it could destroy Alex's growing confidence (he looks like a leader in minicamp for the first time) and divide the locker room.

On what we do if Smith tears it up:

- we re-sign Smith to a 3 or 4 year deal with a lot of options in it. We Keep Clausen through '11 and trade him if Smith sputters or gets hurt again.

Think of Clausen as an insurance option.

Agreed.

But Clausen would be a really expensive "insurance option."

Yeah no one is really thinking of the $ side of doing this. I think its hilarious that Kawakami comes and says the 9ers should take him (his opinion) and today ESPN says today that the 9ers are "enamored" with Clausen. That's funny

honestly i thinj kawakami is an idiot has horrible ideas

Kawakami says things to get his blog more hits. He has filled Skip Bayless's shoes since that douche went to ESPN. He tried to sell Lincecum for Alex Rios. He says things and when they come true he gloats, when he is wrong, he was just throwing it out there. Some journalist. I read his blog just to see how hard I should laugh at his horrid ideas. The Clausen one was around a 5 out of 10. I could see them taking him if they couldnt find a suitor, but to take him within the first 5 seconds of the slot? not happening.
I would literally vomit if we took Clausen--he just inspires nothing in me. I would rather trade a pick this year for a 2nd 1st rounder next year and get a real QB...
Originally posted by ajsjohnson:
I would literally vomit if we took Clausen--he just inspires nothing in me. I would rather trade a pick this year for a 2nd 1st rounder next year and get a real QB...

i will vomit on my wife then on my dog then go down to 49ers war room & raise holy hell!
That pick would set the 9ers back at least 5-7 years. Even worse idea than the Rapists taking Russell....Why does anyone want Cade McNown the 2nd?

Seriously? Who did this kid play in college? Just because he went to ND doesnt mean $#!+. They played Army, Navy, Air force, worst Michigan teams ever, Stanford, UConn, BC, Pitt, BYU etc.......If a real program played a weak schedule like that thier players would be downgraded for it. Jimmy didnt play anyone in college, and failed to beat half of the weak @$$ teams they did play.

Dont buy into this crap about there not being any talent around him either. Most of his teammates were 5* or 4* players out of HS. The coaching staff was so horrible that it just looked like they had no talent.

Beyond all of that Jimmy looks on tape exactly like his brother Casey at Tennessee.....who wasnt even considered an NFL prospect. If Jimmy had gone to UT he wouldnt even be drafted lol....But going to Notre Dame somehow makes him a real player???

The reason so many players bust in the 1st round isnt because its a crap shoot, its because GM's seem to forget that real players show up on game tape, and bums show up in workouts and the combine. They continue to take players who have either never produced anything on the field (Vernon Gholston etc.), have no work ethic/passion (too many to list) , who think they are the second coming of Jesus (Leinart, Leaf, McNown etc.) and/or who have no ability at all but when to a big school (Leinart again).
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Say we actually draft Clausen, what will your reaction be?

I will jump of my roof ...headfirst. WE DONT NEED HIM
  • dj43
Originally posted by Gore_21:
There are probably 3-4 guys next year that could come out and would be selected over Clausen. If Smith falters then fine, we get our future QB. This year we are too close and Alex finally has a shot. I am a Smith fan but if he doesn't get it done this yea buh bye. There are NO excuses this year.

Possibly QBs next year: Looks much better than this year's IMO

Jake Locker, Washington
Andrew Luck, Stanford (RS sophomore)
Ryan Mallett, Arkansas (RS junior)
Christian Ponder, Florida State
Jerrod Johnson, Texas A&M
Terrell Pryor, Ohio State (junior)
Robert Griffin, Baylor (junior)
Jacory Harris, Miami (junior)
Pat Devlin, Delaware
Ricky Stanzi, Iowa
Colin Kaepernick, Nevada
Nick Foles, Arizona
I hope Smith really blossoms this year and makes all this moot. I am also on the fence as to whether Clausen is worth more than a 13 or 17 pick.

So... I believe the 49ers will go 9-7 with a mediocre Smith. If that is the case, it will be clear the 49ers need to go after a top-level QB in the draft next year. Given the fact a 9-7 mark would have them drafting in the mid-20s, how would they get back to a top 5 pick to get the guy they need?

They could also consider a trade for a vet QB but since this is the draft room, I won't go there.
DRAFT CLAUSEN!
Originally posted by bigfan:
DO NOT DRAFT CLAUSEN!

Fixed!

Originally posted by kidash:
DO NOT DRAFT CLAUSEN!

Originally posted by valrod33:
DO NOT DRAFT CLAUSEN!

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by valrod33:
DO NOT DRAFT CLAUSEN!

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by valrod7:
Originally posted by kidash7:
DRAFT CLAUSEN!

Clausen at 13 f**k THE WORLD!!!!

HATE ON HATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think ESPN is on crack to think we are going to trade up to get a player who wont make an immediate impact!
Share 49ersWebzone