LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

Joe Haden is Horribly Overrated

I'm hoping the first 12 teams in the draft feel the same way as you.
LOL@ the term "endless tape" = 3 1/2 mins of youtube footage.
I can't even believe I am dignifying this post with a response......

Look at the stats of the opposing teams leading WR in games against Haden this year.

Julio Jones -- 2 rec for 28 yds? Jones is considered by many one of the top 3 WR's in NCAA right now

Mardy Gilyard -- 7 rec for 41 yds? Gilyard has 87 rec for almost 1200 yds and 11 TD's and this is his bowl game?

Brandon Lafell -- 4 rec for 44 yds?

AJ Green -- 3 rec for 50 yds?

Oh yeah, most importantly???? NO TOUCHDOWNS by any of these guys!

If he's there we should certainly grab him. Why? See Roddy White's Week 5 performance vs. our defense.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by SFCH3DDERZ:
um pretty sure our scouts did their homework. they will know if or not to pick him up.

so as long as the scouts do their homework they are guaranteed not to draft busts? Dammit why didnt our scouts do their homework on Reggie McGrew, Mike Rumph, Rashaun Woods, Kentwan Balmer

Exactly! I agree, do NOT draft Haden at #13. I like the safety from Texas
Originally posted by 52isabeast:

Look at the stats of the opposing teams leading WR in games against Haden this year.

Julio Jones -- 2 rec for 28 yds? Jones is considered by many one of the top 3 WR's in NCAA right now

Mardy Gilyard -- 7 rec for 41 yds? Gilyard has 87 rec for almost 1200 yds and 11 TD's and this is his bowl game?

If he's there we should certainly grab him. Why? See Roddy White's Week 5 performance vs. our defense.

That doesn't necessarily mean much. Look at Tye Hill for example, he's similar to Haden in that he's about 5'10" was considered the best corner in the 2006 draft, was a first team All-American and taken 15th overall. He also basically shut down every WR he faced in 2005, including a guy by the name of Calvin Johnson, who is way better than any receiver you have listed. However, look at him now, he's most definitely not an elite CB, hell he was traded for a 7th round draft pick last September ...
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM ]
He's the consensus #1 CB in the draft. Unless you find the position of Cornerback to be overrated, we'd be lucky to get him at #13.
Some NFL personnel evaluators reportedly believe that Iowa OT Bryan Bulaga is the most overrated prospect in this year's draft.
"It'll shock you when I say this, but I know some people have him graded out as a third-round pick," said one personnel man. "A lot of pass rushers beat him badly last year. And if you watch that film, and add in that his arms are shorter than you'd like a tackle to have, how high can you take him? I know he's well-coached...(but) he's falling a bit in some people's eyes." Rotoworld.com
Originally posted by Niners23:

That doesn't necessarily mean much. Look at Tye Hill for example, he's similar to Haden in that he's about 5'10" was considered the best corner in the 2006 draft, was a first team All-American and taken 15th overall. He also basically shut down every WR he faced in 2005, including a guy by the name of Calvin Johnson, who is way better than any receiver you have listed. However, look at him now, he's most definitely not an elite CB, hell he was traded for a 7th round draft pick last September ...

Now I may be wrong but wasn't Calvin Johnson a Freshman that year? I respect your opinion and what you're saying, but I think Haden is a faster version of Clements and may have Revis type skills.

The SEC is widely considered the best conference in the NCAA and to compete at the level he did was special. I do think he's smooth in transition and has the burst to make plays at corner.

At the end of the day you have to take the BPA for our team. Like it or not our team has too many average players and superstars are what you look for in Rd 1. Haden is graded by Scouts Inc as the 11th overall prospect and has a 94 grade. Tye Hill was a 91 and the 26th best prospect. Revis was a 95 overall and 10th ranked prospect of his class. Now rankings don't mean much on the field, but it means something when EVERYONE has him as the top CB in the draft.

We need the BPA at both of our first round picks for sure, if Haden is on the board, it's hard to believe that he isn't the BPA.
I totally agree with the original poster. He is being inflated because there is no one else.
Isn't there 2 for sure guys in the first round (Haden & Wilson) and fringe guys like McCourtey and the kid from Alabama?

Originally posted by mug0mug:
I'm hoping the first 12 teams in the draft feel the same way as you.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

Way to use the lack of production by other guys to help your argument.

The mere fact that Haden didn't mirror any (or atleast not all) of these receivers should let you know how great the rest of taht defense was. Haden was not exclusively on any of the guys. He palyed his side of the firld and who ever lined up accross from him. So the whold UF defense shut these guys down. He did not do it all by his self.

I really wish somehow we knew what his completions against percentage was. Cause I know the gmaes I watched he gave up a high completion percentage. With most coming by guys not mentioned above. Which is why your numebers and arguument are misleading. And why i feel he is overrated.
I think he is the best CB in this draft. And, I think the Niners would run their card to the podium in world-record time if he is on the board at 13.

Now, is he worth the 13th? That is a good question.
nvm
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Apr 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think he is the best CB in this draft. And, I think the Niners would run their card to the podium in world-record time if he is on the board at 13.

Now, is he worth the 13th? That is a good question.

What's your take on that issue MadDog? Is Haden worthy of a 13th pick?
Share 49ersWebzone