There are 149 users in the forums

Anyone else concerned about Anthony Davis's strength?

OT Anthony Davis - Only put up 21 reps on the bench press and followed it up by showing only pedestrian athleticism during the tests making one wonder whether he has the strength to play right tackle or the athleticism to play the Blind Side. On the plus side, he showed good footwork in the drills.

I see a lot of mocks predicting we take Davis at 17. I gotta say I am not liking this pick at all.

Name Reps
Petrus, Mitch 45
Okung, Russell 38
Hawley, Joe 35
Olsen, Eric 35
Campbell, Bruce 34
Byers, Jeff 33
Washington, Tony 33
Lauvao, Shawn 33
Veldheer, Jared 32
Ducasse, Vlad 29
Wang, Ed 29
Welch, Thomas 29
Young, Sam 29

He should be in this range somehwere but he isnt.

Kyle Wilson a corner had 25 reps.
Clark, Daryll QB had 21 reps
Brown, Levi QB had 20 reps

I could go on and on but this should be a major concern. Especially for a team that is more run orientated.
  • JDog
  • Veteran
yes
No, not me. His run blocking seems to be exactly what Singletary is looking for. His pass blocking and his ability to play on the right side are my concerns. I would be happy with the pick though.

Worst case, he's a stud LG.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Trent Williams only put up 23 reps.

Michael Oher also put up 21.

Eugene Monroe put up 23.

Ryan Clady put up 24 in 2008.
Not all all. If he is there at 17 the Niners need to take him.
No. Of all the first round OT's, his run blocking ability is second only to Williams (and maybe not even that).

I think you're putting much emphasis on measureables here.
These guys aren't finished products you have to actually coach them up and get them in better conditioning physically and mentally.
Doesn't bother me at all. Oher is a stud and he didn't put up a huge number either.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Eugene Monroe put up 23.

It should be pointed out that all of the guys listed are LTs. Oher played RT last year but he will be starting LT for the Ravens this year. LT is more of a finess position with emphasis on quick feet and agility.

I dont want Davis at all!
There are players that can bench all day long that don't play all that well in the trenches. OL is about leverage, angles, and strength. I'll take someone who's excellent at the first two over someone who's a He-Man, but gets put on his back by a technician any day.

Originally posted by Dominate:
OT Anthony Davis - Only put up 21 reps on the bench press and followed it up by showing only pedestrian athleticism during the tests making one wonder whether he has the strength to play right tackle or the athleticism to play the Blind Side. On the plus side, he showed good footwork in the drills.

I see a lot of mocks predicting we take Davis at 17. I gotta say I am not liking this pick at all.

Name Reps
Petrus, Mitch 45
Okung, Russell 38
Hawley, Joe 35
Olsen, Eric 35
Campbell, Bruce 34
Byers, Jeff 33
Washington, Tony 33
Lauvao, Shawn 33
Veldheer, Jared 32
Ducasse, Vlad 29
Wang, Ed 29
Welch, Thomas 29
Young, Sam 29

He should be in this range somehwere but he isnt.

Kyle Wilson a corner had 25 reps.
Clark, Daryll QB had 21 reps
Brown, Levi QB had 20 reps

I could go on and on but this should be a major concern. Especially for a team that is more run orientated.

Originally posted by Butter:
There are players that can bench all day long that don't play all that well in the trenches. OL is about leverage, angles, and strength. I'll take someone who's excellent at the first two over someone who's a He-Man, but gets put on his back by a technician any day.

Exactly. I'm sure this guy put up a lot of reps...

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dominate:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Eugene Monroe put up 23.

It should be pointed out that all of the guys listed are LTs. Oher played RT last year but he will be starting LT for the Ravens this year. LT is more of a finess position with emphasis on quick feet and agility.

I dont want Davis at all!

As of right now Oher will still be the team's RT unless they move Gaither. And he played well at RT for a guy who only put up 21 reps. Eben Britton the Jags 2nd rounder put up 24 reps last year, and he has short arms yet he did a good job as their RT.

Bench press reps are somewhat overrated.
Nope, not concerned at all.
Im concerned more with his label of being lazy.

He could have all the talent in the world, but if he doesn't care about getting better you cannot draft him.

I'd rather have a 2nd round tackle with a little less talent and a lot more drive and motivation.
Share 49ersWebzone