LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 222 users in the forums

Mike Mayock and Charley Casserly Talk about the 49ers Draft

Originally posted by rapid4:
We don't need Iupati, John Jerry or Jon Asamoah would do just fine.

This. taking a guard in the first round with a pick in the teens would be a waste. especially so in a draft as deep as this. IMO it would be utter stupidity.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i've seen a lot of 'experts' having us pick sergio kindle. why????

Because he's hands down the best 3-4 OLB in the draft, which is tough position to fill and frankly a position of need on this team. A lot of people said the same about Orakpo last season and he was a beast. Many rate Kindle as a better prospect, physically he has it all.

You are such a Longhorn homer

Only for the players who deserve it. I was all over Limas Sweed not being any good and some people wanted him. I'm not saying anything diffrent than pretty much every scout and analyst out there. And if you look in the last decade, the success rate for UT players, especially on the defensive side, and even moreso in the secondary, is extremely good. pretty much since mack took over. Can you beleive in 2001 UT's dline had Casey Hampton, Shaun Rogers, and Cory Redding? Filthy.
I'll take Mayocks
MM and I have the exact same 2 players for the 9ers......he must be looking at my mocks
Mayock has the same picks as Kiper. I like it

This.

And they'd be available later in the draft, freeing up the first round for some higher impact player.

And don't forget Newhouse, who posted excellent times at the Combine.
Originally posted by Toronto49er:

This. taking a guard in the first round with a pick in the teens would be a waste. especially so in a draft as deep as this. IMO it would be utter stupidity.

I don't think "fine" is good enough. We need some excellence on the OL. To be a playoff team, excellence is needed at many if no every positional area.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

I don't think "fine" is good enough. We need some excellence on the OL. To be a playoff team, excellence is needed at many if no every positional area.

Well, obviously he would prefer to draft a different prospect to bring excellence to a different position. He sees the margin between Iupati and Jerry or Asamoah to be less than the margin between a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder at a different positions.
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Well, obviously he would prefer to draft a different prospect to bring excellence to a different position. He sees the margin between Iupati and Jerry or Asamoah to be less than the margin between a 1st rounder and 2nd rounder at a different positions.

I'd take that a step further. Excellence isn't something you can import to the OL, through the draft or through free agency, anymore than you can import teamwork or chemistry. That comes from guys working hard, working together, understanding their assignments, and getting the coaching they need to excel.

There probably isn't that much difference between Iupati, Pouncey, Jerry, Asamoah, etc. They're all great prospects, but it seems unlikely that any of them could be simply plugged in along the OL and there'd be instant "excellence."

Paul Hofer is one of my all time favorite 49ers. Thanks for keeping him in our thoughts!

• fan49
  • Veteran
i brought this up in a thread last night.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by ghostrider:

I'd take that a step further. Excellence isn't something you can import to the OL, through the draft or through free agency, anymore than you can import teamwork or chemistry. That comes from guys working hard, working together, understanding their assignments, and getting the coaching they need to excel.

There probably isn't that much difference between Iupati, Pouncey, Jerry, Asamoah, etc. They're all great prospects, but it seems unlikely that any of them could be simply plugged in along the OL and there'd be instant "excellence."

Excellent appraisal.

This time of year, fans get an idea into their head and lose all sense of reason.

For instance, for those so "over the top" on Iupati: Have you actually evaluated the guy's play? Or are you just parroting some other unkowledgeable persons evaluation that he is a "beast" or whatever? For all you know he's not any better than Baas, who actually played better and better as the season wore on. the knock on Baas is that he is slow of foot. But he looked like the only one who was able to execute a pulling block effectively. Know what? Iupati doesn't have quick feet either.

I agree with Toronto and rapid4: Taking a Guard in the teens would be utter stupidity. And what would be even more aggregeous would be to pick TWO offensive linemen with both our early picks. Davis in the first round would be outstanding. And a SPEED corner with the other. Or a game changer on offense. Or even a monster pass rusher. All would be fine.

Supplement the line and other spots (not selected in the first round) in the second and later rounds.

Then let the coaches take over and coax the "excellence" out of the players. As so excellently pointed out by ONdude.
[ Edited by Rsrkshn on Apr 14, 2010 at 11:08 AM ]
Originally posted by Butter:
I love to get Davis at 17 and trade down from 13, pick up Kyle Wilson later and get an extra pick in the 2nd!

This would be incredible, if it could be accomplished. Then Best in the second.

Did you say the same thing about taking a TE at 6th overall?
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Did you say the same thing about taking a TE at 6th overall?

According to the consensus of draft gurus, Vernon was picked at about the right spot. Iupati is generally ranked below the mid-first round, and the comments rate him highest if you assume he can transition from G to T. I think that is a very risky assumption for a mid-first round pick, particularly given his lame showing when tried at RG.

I also would not count on Baas beyond this year, because he is chronically injury-prone and it will be risky to re-sign him, so obtaining a LG through the draft or FA is important. I just wouldn't use a mid-first pick to do it.
Share 49ersWebzone