There are 231 users in the forums

Mike Mayock and Charley Casserly Talk about the 49ers Draft

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Id take Mayocks first pick and Casserly's second!!!

Ditto.
1a Anthony Davis OT
1b Mike Iupati OG
2 Dexter McCluster RB/RS
3 Jason Worilds OLB
4 Torell Troup NT
5 Walther Thurmond CB/RS
6a Harry Coleman SS
6b Micah Johnson ILB
7 Scott Sicko TE

I would love, LOVE, to see the 49ers go O-line with their first two picks, but this is the 49ers we're talking about here - probably not going to happen. And I'd love to have McCluster, too.

Getting perhaps the most talented tackle in the draft (at the least he's the 2nd most talented behind Okung) and the best guard in the draft would be a major coup for this team. Our line would be set for years.
We don't need Iupati, John Jerry or Jon Asamoah would do just fine.
Casserly's first instinct was to trade down.

I also think you switched up the picks as well. His logic was that all the OT were gone by #13 and we needed to address the line and picked Iupati there.
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Casserly's first instinct was to trade down.

I also think you switched up the picks as well. His logic was that all the OT were gone by #13 and we needed to address the line and picked Iupati there.

If I got it mixed up, I'm sorry. But I don't agree with Casserly even more so, if that's the case. In no way is Iupati is worthy of the #13 overall pick! Some people think even #17 is a stretch.
didnt casserly select david carr?
Originally posted by crabman82:

Yes, but he also selected Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. It was a very unpopular decision at the time, but it has clearly worked out for the Texans.
Casserly's picks were if certain players were gone. It was just a "what if" picks
Originally posted by Schulzy:

Yes, but he also selected Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. It was a very unpopular decision at the time, but it has clearly worked out for the Texans.

hopefully he wasnt the same guy who took amobi okoye over patrick willis
Originally posted by Butter:
I love to get Davis at 17 and trade down from 13, pick up Kyle Wilson later and get an extra pick in the 2nd!

That would be nice
Originally posted by Butter:
I love to get Davis at 17 and trade down from 13, pick up Kyle Wilson later and get an extra pick in the 2nd!

This is my first choice also. But one needs trading partners. Trade #13 down with NE (but they don't usually trade up) for their #22 and #57. Then trade up our #49, David Baas (expendable if we pick Iupati at #17) and whatever lower pick (4th or 5th R) for the Lions' #34. (One use of selecting Iupati is having Baas as trade bait. Perhaps his value is low but he is a starter.) The Niners would have #17, #22, #34, #57. But will anybody wish to trade up in this deep but not elite draft?

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Originally posted by 9erluv415:
Id take Mayocks first pick and Casserly's second!!!

Ditto.
1a Anthony Davis OT
1b Mike Iupati OG
2 Dexter McCluster RB/RS
3 Jason Worilds OLB
4 Torell Troup NT
5 Walther Thurmond CB/RS
6a Harry Coleman SS
6b Micah Johnson ILB
7 Scott Sicko TE

I would love, LOVE, to see the 49ers go O-line with their first two picks, but this is the 49ers we're talking about here - probably not going to happen. And I'd love to have McCluster, too.

Getting perhaps the most talented tackle in the draft (at the least he's the 2nd most talented behind Okung) and the best guard in the draft would be a major coup for this team. Our line would be set for years.

If not this year but next year, Davis would allow the 9ers to move Staley to RT and improve both positions.

Also, there may not be much left at #13 to help the Niners enough other than Davis. For instance, it looks like the two DEs will be there. Maybe Earl Thomas but I don't think the 9ers may be interested in getting a safety. They might want to try Reggie Smith or Curtis Taylor as cover safeties. Maiacco wrote about their getting O. J. Atogwe.
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 14, 2010 at 5:18 AM ]
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

He also picked Desmond Howard in the top 5.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i've seen a lot of 'experts' having us pick sergio kindle. why????

Because he's hands down the best 3-4 OLB in the draft, which is tough position to fill and frankly a position of need on this team. A lot of people said the same about Orakpo last season and he was a beast. Many rate Kindle as a better prospect, physically he has it all.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i've seen a lot of 'experts' having us pick sergio kindle. why????

Because he's hands down the best 3-4 OLB in the draft, which is tough position to fill and frankly a position of need on this team. A lot of people said the same about Orakpo last season and he was a beast. Many rate Kindle as a better prospect, physically he has it all.

You are such a Longhorn homer

No he was fired after taking Williams over Bush. Looks pretty smart right now.
Share 49ersWebzone