LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Would you be mad if we went williams,bulaga,davis at #13 and Pouncey at #17?

Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Originally posted by fandemonium:
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Because he can play guard and center. Heitman is getting up there in age and as o-linemen get older their play can fall off very quickly, so we need to have a quality player waiting in the wings to take over for him. I don't think that Wallace is that player. We would plug Pouncey in at guard until he is needed to take over for Heitman.

And Iupati appears to be able to play both guard and tackle. So in essence you're prioritizing our needs at center over those at tackle, which doesn't make sense to me.

No, I'm assuming that we take an OT in the first round this year to take care of the RT position. I'm not one of those people that wants to draft a guard and try him out at tackle. We need a RT that can be plugged into the position THIS year, not be developed and learn the position and then be plugged in. At this point in our team development we shouldn't be "developing" any of our starters, that's what backups are for. We are now in win mode and can't have starters that are still learning a new position.

Exactly im tired of seeing guys change positions, it only sets a player back and we need to win now. We are always stuck with a bunch of projects(reggie smith,Mrob,d. duckett,rasheed marshall,battle to name a few. When we drafted rachel there was talk about him being move and able to play tackle when the dude cant even get the guard thing down. We dont have time to be moving guys around.
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Because he can play guard and center. Heitman is getting up there in age and as o-linemen get older their play can fall off very quickly, so we need to have a quality player waiting in the wings to take over for him. I don't think that Wallace is that player. We would plug Pouncey in at guard until he is needed to take over for Heitman.

And Iupati appears to be able to play both guard and tackle. So in essence you're prioritizing our needs at center over those at tackle, which doesn't make sense to me.

No, I'm assuming that we take an OT in the first round this year to take care of the RT position. I'm not one of those people that wants to draft a guard and try him out at tackle. We need a RT that can be plugged into the position THIS year, not be developed and learn the position and then be plugged in. At this point in our team development we shouldn't be "developing" any of our starters, that's what backups are for. We are now in win mode and can't have starters that are still learning a new position.

You're right - I was forgetting the part about the OT at #13.

Apology accepted.
I'm not sure it'd be cost effective to draft three players with the #13 pick.
I'd have to disagree just because Heitmann is only 30 so IMO we have 3 to 5 years to find a replacement at Center. So if we need a guard that can start, draft Lupati and play him at guard for the next 10 years.

Don't take an inferior guard so he can one day move positions...at least not with a 1st round pick.
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
I'd have to disagree just because Heitmann is only 30 so IMO we have 3 to 5 years to find a replacement at Center. So if we need a guard that can start, draft Lupati and play him at guard for the next 10 years.

Don't take an inferior guard so he can one day move positions...at least not with a 1st round pick.

30 is getting up there for an o-lineman. And when their level of play falls off it can fall off very quickly, so it would be nice to have a player with a few years of being in the league under their belt to take over. And I don't think Pouncey is an inferior guard. I think Iupati might have a higher ceiling, but I don't think that Pouncey could be considered inferior.
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Apr 13, 2010 at 9:52 AM ]

30 is getting up there for an o-lineman. And when their level of play falls off it can fall off very quickly, so it would be nice to have a player with a few years of being in the league under their belt to take over. And I don't think Pouncey is an inferior guard. I think Iupati might have a higher ceiling, but I don't think that Pouncey could be considered inferior.

Maybe not inferior...but considered to be a lesser guard prospect by most. So again, I just wouldn't draft a lesser guard prospect because Heitmann is 30. Draft the best guard now, worry about your 30 yr old center in 2 or 3 years...at least.

Maybe not inferior...but considered to be a lesser guard prospect by most. So again, I just wouldn't draft a lesser guard prospect because Heitmann is 30. Draft the best guard now, worry about your 30 yr old center in 2 or 3 years...at least.

But what if his play drops off dramatically in the next year or so? Then we will be screwed. I guess we will just agree to disagree

We got Heitmann for a 7th round pick. If only we could get someone as good for a similar price . . .

But what if his play drops off dramatically in the next year or so? Then we will be screwed. I guess we will just agree to disagree

I just think you cannot draft based upon a "What if" scenerio. If you do that you end up being.....The Raiders!
I would love if Bryan Bulaga Fell to us @ #13 he would make a difference for both the passing and game

Would love two offensive lineman in the first, but if we're going to get a guard, then it has to be Iupati, without question.
I would be surprised, but not mad if we did this.
No...I'd be thrilled. We get a stud OT and in Pouncey a guy who can thrive at either OG or C. Not too early to begin grooming Heitmann's replacement...I see a Newberry in his prime in Pouncey.
Share 49ersWebzone