LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 367 users in the forums

Would you be mad if we went williams,bulaga,davis at #13 and Pouncey at #17?

Our Biggest needs are at T,CB,G,SS,KR/PR,ILB,OLB In that order. This draft is deep at Cb,FS/SS,kr/Pr and Olb. The Tackle position is weak after the first round and the Guard position its not very deep either. "IF" the draft went this way with any tackle mention above and pouncey i feel like they can come in and start right away and with the other positions of need being so deep we can still find a solid player at those positions. What do you guys think?

*LupatI Fans, I know its in the same vicinity as to a drafting at tackle at #13 and Lupati at #17 but i feel like pouncey would be a better pro and has more versatility as he can play C or guard without any dropoff in play.
I wouldnt mind if we grabbed a Tackle AND a Guard with the two first round picks, the Jets used 2 first rounders on Mangold (C) and Ferguson (OT) and that seems to have worked out for them
Not at all.
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I wouldnt mind if we grabbed a Tackle AND a Guard with the two first round picks, the Jets used 2 first rounders on Mangold (C) and Ferguson (OT) and that seems to have worked out for them

This would allow our offense to be that much better and for those who think pouncey is too high or a reach at #17, he wont get pass the steelers at #18. For once we would also have solid depth if anybody went down.
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

Doesn't make sense to me.
Originally posted by fandemonium:
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

Because he can play guard and center. Heitman is getting up there in age and as o-linemen get older their play can fall off very quickly, so we need to have a quality player waiting in the wings to take over for him. I don't think that Wallace is that player. We would plug Pouncey in at guard until he is needed to take over for Heitman.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd rather take Iupati and move Baas over to center when Heitman retires.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

Because he can play guard and center. Heitman is getting up there in age and as o-linemen get older their play can fall off very quickly, so we need to have a quality player waiting in the wings to take over for him. I don't think that Wallace is that player. We would plug Pouncey in at guard until he is needed to take over for Heitman.

And Iupati appears to be able to play both guard and tackle. So in essence you're prioritizing our needs at center over those at tackle, which doesn't make sense to me.
Nope
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

And Iupati appears to be able to play both guard and tackle. So in essence you're prioritizing our needs at center over those at tackle, which doesn't make sense to me.

No, I'm assuming that we take an OT in the first round this year to take care of the RT position. I'm not one of those people that wants to draft a guard and try him out at tackle. We need a RT that can be plugged into the position THIS year, not be developed and learn the position and then be plugged in. At this point in our team development we shouldn't be "developing" any of our starters, that's what backups are for. We are now in win mode and can't have starters that are still learning a new position.
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Apr 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM ]

Let's go for the trifecta and trade the #49 and another pick to move up and grab Iupati

Staley - Iupati - Pouncey - Rachal - Davis

We could also trade down from 13 and Brown later in the first while getting another 2nd or more picks and grab Pouncey, and Iupati.

That would be one young, athletic group
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Let's go for the trifecta and trade the #49 and another pick to move up and grab Iupati

We could also trade down from 13 and Brown later in the first while getting another 2nd or more picks and grab Pouncey, and Iupati.

OMG.
Why Pouncey over Iupati?

No, I'm assuming that we take an OT in the first round this year to take care of the RT position. I'm not one of those people that wants to draft a guard and try him out at tackle. We need a RT that can be plugged into the position THIS year, not be developed and learn the position and then be plugged in. At this point in our team development we shouldn't be "developing" any of our starters, that's what backups are for. We are now in win mode and can't have starters that are still learning a new position.

You're right - I was forgetting the part about the OT at #13.
Originally posted by mayo63:
Originally posted by DesiDez:

OMG.

As crazy as that sounds to take two guards and a tackle in the first round, I actually wouldn't have a problem with it. Our O-line would be set for years.
Share 49ersWebzone