LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 310 users in the forums

Iupati or Pouncey at #17 overall... which makes more sense?

...am I the only one that thinks that perhaps a proven SEC performer and a guy who can play all 3 interior positions is worth VERY STRONG consideration?

1) I think Pouncey could be more ready to step in from day one.

2) Heitman is no spring chicken and we dont really have great depth behind him.

3) If we do move toward more zone run blocking, pouncey's agility may be a better fit for that.

what do you guys think?
pouncey makes alot of sense for niners...for reasons you state...just not sure he makes sense at #17
Iupati is a beast. Teach him how to snap the ball, and he can play all three interior positions. Who knows, maybe he can make the bump outside to RT?

Iupati at #17!
Yeah I actually like Pouncey better, he's more talented IMO. He could replace Baas better than Iupati IMO.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Yeah I actually like Pouncey better, he's more talented IMO. He could replace Baas better than Iupati IMO.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Iupati over Pouncey for me.
Iupati has the mean streak that Singletary looks for, but I think I would take Pouncey for his versatility.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

+1 No way he gets passed the steelers at #18. Good enough to go #18, why not #17?
I'd take Iupati. You can't coach the strength and power that kid has. He's already a very good LG and is still very raw and new to football. I don't know if he'd ever be a good LT but with coaching if we wanted to go that way I think he would make a very good RT since those guys don't need to be as strong in pass protection. He is already a beast opening up running lanes and has long arms that can help him keep guys outside and away from the QB.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
Are we really considering using a top 20 draft pick for a C/OG?

You don't draft one that early in the draft.

Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

Why not? We had one of the worst lines in the league, OG is a top priority.

I hate this stupid f**king argument. If the guy you want (and need) is on the board, and you don't think he'll be there by your next pick, you take him. Forget all the s**t about "Well, we can't pick this guy yet, it's not good value."
Oh, and I'd be happy with either Iupati or Pouncey at #17, and I think we should draft one of them at that spot.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:

Why not? We had one of the worst lines in the league, OG is a top priority.

I hate this stupid f**king argument. If the guy you want (and need) is on the board, and you don't think he'll be there by your next pick, you take him. Forget all the s**t about "Well, we can't pick this guy yet, it's not good value."

werd...
by all accounts pouncey has what it takes to hold down one of the 3 interior spots for the next 10 years, and for probably 5-7 of those it will be at C (the 2nd most important spot on the OL) do you mean to tell me that is not "worth" a #17 overall pick? I just cant seem to believe that.

now, i will admit that just about everyone seems to think that iupati has the higher "ceiling" but from where i sit i am honestly starting to think pouncey is the way to go. i just like that PROVEN SEC pedigree, but that might be due to the fact that i dont have access to Iupati's senior bowl practices, workouts, college tape, interviews and interviews with coaches, etc. maybe if i had all that on iupati i'd feel more confident in the kid.
both!
I think Pouncey is by far the more versatile player. I have serious questions on whether or not Iupati can play any position other than left guard. His intelligence and ability to learn is a huge issue.

That being said Iupati projects to be a beast of a left guard and I'm not against taking him.
Share 49ersWebzone