LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

mayock says if clausen is at 17, we take him

Mayock's just another guy who doesn't think Alex will cut it...but what he doesn't understand is if Singletary gets him a better OL, he'll be fine. And, now that they've signed Carr and want to keep Nate Davis, there's really nowhere for Clausen on the roster. They could trade/release Carr, but I don't see Coach opening the season w/Alex, Davis and a rookie QB.
he's not slipping that far
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

If Smith plays very well this year and looks like a long term answer then what? We have 2 QB's who will be expensive to carry while 1 actually plays?

Too many able quarterbacks isn't a bad thing... look at the Eagles when they drafted Kevin Kolb, Packers with Aaron Rodgers, and Falcons who had Matt Schaub. All of those players would be worth more than a first round pick, and teams are willing to trade for them. At least this way we have a longterm franchise worthy prospect at QB in the likely chance that Smith continues to unimpress. Nate Davis has potential, but he fell to the fifth round for a reason. If Davis shows growth and Alex improves we can cut David Carr.

This may be the last year we have a pick high enough to grab a franchise qb in a long time. If we think Claussen can be that guy, we'd be foolish not to. This way he could develop on the bench, a luxury Smith was never afforded.

Go back and look at those picks for a second....

Eagles drafted Kolb in Round 2, McNabb was 30.

Packers drafted Rodgers late Round 1, Farve was 35.

Falcons drafted Schaub in Round 3, Vick was 24.

You want to draft a kid 17th overall when our current starter is only just 26? If Smith was in his 30's I wouldn't have a problem with it but considering he's still very young it doesn't make sense when so much is still unknown. Yes, I know that statement can mean many things but if Smith blows up and has a good year then we burned a VERY high pick on a backup who will be sitting for who knows how long. Also that leaves us with 2 backups who have no starting experience in Clausen and Davis. If we were talking about McCoy in the 2nd (for example) I wouldn't be so hard against it but not with the 17th overall.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
hes an idiot.... ill really hate the front office if this bulls**t happens.....bring in a qb again with no line.... that will work weve never seen it b4...
BEST OT available at #13, If Clausen is there at 17, TAKE HIM!! If Clausen is not there, take best DB. If Colt McCoy is there RD2, TAKE HIM!! Im really high on the top 3 Qbs this year.. Bradford, Clausen, AND McCoy!! The league is buzzing about the 3, they all had OUTSTANDING PRO DAYS, and I do credit Mayock in his scouting and grades. You cant be sold on Smith, even though im a big supporter since day 1. and you DEFINTELY cant be on Nate Davis's sack just yet.. he hasnt done s**t but shown a nice quick release and some very good arm stregnth. We can afford to have another franchise QB come in, even though alot are bitter about the Smith situation.. Maybe Smith pans out?? maybe not?? I say draft Clausen at 17, if not, McCoy rd2 even consider Tebow there if he were to drop!! THEN lets see what we have in a year or two.. then deal
[ Edited by 49ersnum1 on Apr 13, 2010 at 11:05 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ibleedgoldnred:
he's not slipping that far

The same was said about Brady Quinn and Aaron Rodgers.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
he just brought that up on path to the draft. Charlie weiss I think old redskins coach,GM? he shot him down said no, I would give alex a shot and he like iupati.... he said build the team and give alex his shot.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by fan49:
he just brought that up on path to the draft. Charlie weiss I think old redskins coach,GM? he shot him down said no, I would give alex a shot and he like iupati.... he said build the team and give alex his shot.

Even if Clausen was drafted, Smith would still get his shot.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

yeah but we would still have no oline..... thats a shot? better than previous years w/ same offense, but damn we barely ever gave him any time. it would turn out way better to build an overall better team, maybe a cb, and oline. that imo fills way more pressing needs. If alex sucks this year then go get a qb. Im a smith homer but if he gets a line and still sucks, good riddens
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

yeah but we would still have no oline..... thats a shot? better than previous years w/ same offense, but damn we barely ever gave him any time. it would turn out way better to build an overall better team, maybe a cb, and oline. that imo fills way more pressing needs. If alex sucks this year then go get a qb. Im a smith homer but if he gets a line and still sucks, good riddens

So your saying we should draft O-line with the first two picks, Correct?? Because even if we drafted Clausen at #17, I would have to assume the club went with an OT with the 13th pick. And we could always pick up good talent or value in the 2nd.
Larry Allen, probably the best O-line to ever play the game was drafted in the 2nd round. Tell me this wouldn't work:

13. Trent Williams ----- Anthony Davis ------ Bryan Bulaga

17. Jimmy Clausen

49. Vladimir Duccasse

And who's to say Iupati wouldn't be there at the top of the 2nd, and if he isn't there's always John Jerry who's much more versatile.

• fan49
  • Veteran

So your saying we should draft O-line with the first two picks, Correct?? Because even if we drafted Clausen at #17, I would have to assume the club went with an OT with the 13th pick. And we could always pick up good talent or value in the 2nd.
Larry Allen, probably the best O-line to ever play the game was drafted in the 2nd round. Tell me this wouldn't work:

17. Jimmy Clausen

49. Vladimir Duccasse

And who's to say Iupati wouldn't be there at the top of the 2nd, and if he isn't there's always John Jerry who's much more versatile.

thats a possibility, but I really like db and ot. that would fill the biggest needs imo. give pass rush more time on d, and a little protection. but really davis would lose his job, or send carr packin. I love davis he has a bigger arm than clausen, and all our qbs. last year he threw further than anyone in the draft over 70 yards. he showed me accuracy in last preseason. I just hate payin a first round qb that much to sit. Waste of money. I like Iupati a lot. all those tackles you have poss. in first Ill take any of em
[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

17. Jimmy Clausen

49. Vladimir Duccasse

thats a possibility, but I really like db and ot. that would fill the biggest needs imo. give pass rush more time on d, and a little protection. but really davis would lose his job, or send carr packin. I love davis he has a bigger arm than clausen, and all our qbs. last year he threw further than anyone in the draft over 70 yards. he showed me accuracy in last preseason. I just hate payin a first round qb that much to sit. Waste of money. I like Iupati a lot. all those tackles you have poss. in first Ill take any of em

Well it just so happens that your two biggest needs at the DB and OT position are deep in this years draft. There will be DB value going all the way back to the 4th round, remember we drafted Dashon Goldson in the 4th who now starts. Shoot we even have or had two starters we drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds on our O-line last year in Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder. And as for Nate Davis, I'm in NO WAY sold on him, hes easily replaceable same goes for Carr who I care less for.
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Again, I'd still take Clausen if available at #17. There's no reason NOT to have a contingency plan. Smith hasn't given us a reason to 'believe.' Having two good QBs is never a bad problem.

LOL we don't even have ONE now and this team has had no plan for going on 10 years.
How long do teams have to make ther picks in the first round this year? 12 or 10 minutes?
hes an idiot.... ill really hate the front office if this bulls**t happens.....bring in a qb again with no line.... that will work weve never seen it b4...

i agree, but more like bring in a Qb who is a f****t!!
Share 49ersWebzone