LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

mayock says if clausen is at 17, we take him

Honestly, if it happened, I wouldn't be mad at the move. I dont think the Niners have much invested in the QBs on the roster anymore. Smith is on a one year deal, Carr is 2 years IIRC, and Davis was a 5th rounder. If they take Clausen, I would be willing to bet that they get rid of either Davis or Carr.

Smith would be the guy until his contract was up since he knows the offense, and then they would make way for Clausen. As far as who they would choose between Davis and Carr, I think Carr gets the axe. I could be wrong, but I dont think his cap hit would be that high, and Davis has been in the system longer.

Obviously, it would not be my first, second, or third choice with the 13th pick, but I would at least understand why the Niners did it. They know they have a really talented surrounding cast, and QB is just as big of a question as the OL.

To be honest, I am more frustrated that the Niners seem to think they can solve the entire offensive line problem in the draft. It often takes linemen just as much time to develop as it does QBs. They have made no moves to improve the line in free agency at all. Not even moves for depth
Originally posted by crabman82:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/09/jimmy-clausen-enjoys-solid-pro-day/

I could be wrong, but I think he was misquoted there. I distinctly remember he said that he won't fall past the 17th pick... but didn't specify that we would take him.
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

If Smith plays very well this year and looks like a long term answer then what? We have 2 QB's who will be expensive to carry while 1 actually plays?

Worked out well for SD, except they got nothing for Brees. How much confidence does anyone have that Smith will play very well this year? Because of an OK half a season last year? I'm not saying I'm for it and we don't have other needs, but it's far from the worst idea ever.
The logic I don't get is it's perfectly reasonable to draft Spiller that high, at a position of lesser importance, when we actually DO have a guy at his position that IS a proven pro bowler. How does that make sense, but not a QB?

Thanks homie exactly what I was about to say. You just trade him. It's not rocket science.
i am actually not against taking clausen in terms of thinking for the future, but we will not win the div this year by passing up a haden, graham, e thomas...to take a qb who wont play unless everyone gets hurt
I think they would take him 13 before he even gets to 17. I don't see why folks are so against it. Maybe I missed the part where the niners have a proven stable qb on the roster.

If Smith plays very well this year and looks like a long term answer then what? We have 2 QB's who will be expensive to carry while 1 actually plays?

Worked out well for SD, except they got nothing for Brees. How much confidence does anyone have that Smith will play very well this year? Because of an OK half a season last year? I'm not saying I'm for it and we don't have other needs, but it's far from the worst idea ever.
The logic I don't get is it's perfectly reasonable to draft Spiller that high, at a position of lesser importance, when we actually DO have a guy at his position that IS a proven pro bowler. How does that make sense, but not a QB?

Thanks homie exactly what I was about to say. You just trade him. It's not rocket science.

Well from the looks of that trade New Orleans got the better half of that deal.

bro do u watch the nfl? teams play 2 rb's, carolina has 2 1st round running backs, teams dont play 2 qb's, and teams dont draft a 1st round qb when they have 3 qb's they already like, as i said right or wrong decision they are sticking with the guys they have
The time to win is never better than next year. The Cards are down, the Rams stink, and the Seahawks are still in flux. They need to take the division, which means that they need to take two starters (or in the case of a guy like Spiller, a guy who can contribute on offense and in the return game) with the first two picks.

Clausen will not start right away and we'd still have a gaping hole on the offensive line.

We get our two starters with the first round picks and if Smith fails to take the team to the playoffs this year, then we draft a QB.
Jimmy Clausen looks like a young Derrick Smith!

Originally posted by crabman82:
i am actually not against taking clausen in terms of thinking for the future, but we will not win the div this year by passing up a haden, graham, e thomas...to take a qb who wont play unless everyone gets hurt

I really dont think those guys will make a big impact either. Not in terms of the division title. To me, the Division title is completely dependent on the offensive line. Im frustrated that they seem to think they can fix the OL solely via the draft. I really hope they are right.
Originally posted by English:

1) Other needs

2) Starting qb in place. Development qb in place. Backup qb may in in place. Draft pick goes where?

3) see (1). O line. No develoment on O line, no qb.

4) 2 first round picks. 2 starters. That would be good.

You know this. You know we won't take him in the first. It just wouldn't make sense this year.

1 i agree

2 a starting qb on the last year of his contract that has been in the league 6 years and still is a big question mark. Sorry not on the Nate Davis will be a starter bandwagon cut him

3 how does drafting him stop the team from helping the o line? If they take him at 17 i would assume at 13 they took a o lineman. Or maybe at 17 they take one. so the same would be said if they drafted Spiller or Bryant

4 I agree with that also I'm just saying if they take Clausen i won't be upset and i don't see why anybody should be. Once again it's not like this team has a proven stable quarterback on the roster. That's like having a nice car with a transmission that slips. i have no clue what's gonna happen with Smith this year so I wouldn't be upset about a insurance policy for the future. If Smith plays as if he is the future then trade him. I don't see Carr or Davis as the future. Now some folks see Davis as the future so I can see why this really would make no sense to them.

is that pic of clausen at his pro day? or a casting call for a new scooby doo movie?
Originally posted by English:

1) Other needs

2) Starting qb in place. Development qb in place. Backup qb may in in place. Draft pick goes where?

3) see (1). O line. No develoment on O line, no qb.

4) 2 first round picks. 2 starters. That would be good.

You know this. You know we won't take him in the first. It just wouldn't make sense this year.

1 i agree

2 a starting qb on the last year of his contract that has been in the league 6 years and still is a big question mark. Sorry not on the Nate Davis will be a starter bandwagon cut him

3 how does drafting him stop the team from helping the o line? If they take him at 17 i would assume at 13 they took a o lineman. Or maybe at 17 they take one. so the same would be said if they drafted Spiller or Bryant

4 I agree with that also I'm just saying if they take Clausen i won't be upset and i don't see why anybody should be. Once again it's not like this team has a proven stable quarterback on the roster. That's like having a nice car with a transmission that slips. i have no clue what's gonna happen with Smith this year so I wouldn't be upset about a insurance policy for the future. If Smith plays as if he is the future then trade him. I don't see Carr or Davis as the future. Now some folks see Davis as the future so I can see why this really would make no sense to them.

We aren't arguing. I don't see Carr or Davis as strong contenders for the future either. But I think we will give Smith the year to prove himself, and we have so many other holes. Is Clausen good enough to pass.on a tackle, a safety or a pass rusher? Dunno. Don't think the question will arise but what do I know?

Have a great Friday evening

ps bet we don't take him!
If Clausen falls to17, or even 13, I bet the phone will be ringing off the hook.
TRADE.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to move a few spots down and get some extra picks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Same here, I would love it if the niners drafted him.

People need to realize that Alex just sucks.
Hey, I'm all for the smoke and mirrors of everyone thinking we don't pass on Clausen at 17, because we'll get trade offers.
Share 49ersWebzone