There are 213 users in the forums

Would You Guys Be Happy With #13 Haden #17 Thomas?

Last years draft was in many ways a failure.

We had three big needs last year WR, OL and Pass Rusher. We had the best WR fall into our laps so we took him with our first and then traded our second to be in a good position this year. Third rounder was wasted on Coffee.

Now we go into this years draft with three big needs. OL, Pass rusher and Secondary. To once again only address one area with two first round picks would be extremely disappointing.
Originally posted by joey82:
Last years draft was in many ways a failure.

We had three big needs last year WR, OL and Pass Rusher. We had the best WR fall into our laps so we took him with our first and then traded our second to be in a good position this year. Third rounder was wasted on Coffee.

Now we go into this years draft with three big needs. OL, Pass rusher and Secondary. To once again only address one area with two first round picks would be extremely disappointing.

I dont think a passrusher is going to happen. OLBs and DEs are pretty much set. The only way they do that is if the guy really is the obvious BPA when the 9ers pick and there is no close 2nd. They may take a shot later in the draft but I just can't see it in the first 2 rounds.
Originally posted by Yoda_I_Be:
IMO drafting Thomas and Haden would be drafting for the future at a time when we are an explosive KR/PR and Solid RT from taking control of the division for the first time in forever.

Clements, Spencer and Brown are solid so drafting a CB is for depth and a future starter.

Goldson, Lewis and Smith are decent so Thomas would probably takeover FS and move Goldson to SS if something happened to lewis..again..drafting a future starter.

But our defense was not our problem last year. I say go best OT and Lupati and take a future starter at safety in the 2nd round.

I don't get it...so you'd rather draft just for next year rather than long term?
I would like Haden, but I think Goldson will be a baller, so it depends on who else is available at 17.
only if we gave up our 2nd for gaithers and spent the 3rd on a return man
HELL NO!

two words: right tackle

Anything else is unacceptable. We trade up for either Russell Okung (4-6) or Trent Williams (6-8). I would personally be pissed if we spent both 1st rounders on a pair of defenders in the secondary, or a combo of LB and/or CB/SS. If Haden is the choice at 13, we must go offense with the next pick, even if that means trading down from 17 and gaining additional picks in the 2nd-4th rounds. Its a deep draft class, right?

As I said before, I want to trade up for Okung or Williams. For one reason or another the 49er management will not be this aggressive in or before the draft. Its going to be due to the leadership switch. All theyre going to do is sit on their hands and wait for a falling star. Well I dont believe in passive drafting. Be aggressive, especially now that were in a position with two 1st rounders. Thanks Scotty MC.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by amigoj49:
just my opinion, but Haden is too slow, Thomas is too small. Neither for me.

Haden doesn't play slow. Do you guys actually watch him PLAY? Or just hang your assessment of the guy on what he ran at the combine?

exactly

guys criticize al davis for obsessing about the combine but so many people here are doing the same thing
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
HELL NO!

Anything else is unacceptable. We trade up for either Russell Okung (4-6) or Trent Williams (6-8). I would personally be pissed if we spent both 1st rounders on a pair of defenders in the secondary, or a combo of LB and/or CB/SS. If Haden is the choice at 13, we must go offense with the next pick, even if that means trading down from 17 and gaining additional picks in the 2nd-4th rounds. Its a deep draft class, right?

As I said before, I want to trade up for Okung or Williams. For one reason or another the 49er management will not be this aggressive in or before the draft. Its going to be due to the leadership switch. All theyre going to do is sit on their hands and wait for a falling star. Well I dont believe in passive drafting. Be aggressive, especially now that were in a position with two 1st rounders. Thanks Scotty MC.

Being aggresive is great when you're one player away. The niners are not one player away. Okung will cost too much to trade up to and you'll be paying him huge money. He's not good enough to trade that much for.

As much as we need RT you don't trade into the top 10 to take a RT. It's just stupid. If we wait at #13 and one lands you run up to the podium but being aggressive in getting a RT??? That's silly.

This is a deep draft and there will be very good players available at those 2 picks. Just because it may not be at RT doesn't mean the front office is making a mistake. You just need to hope our scouts are good enough that we can address RT in the other rounds.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Haden doesn't play slow. Do you guys actually watch him PLAY? Or just hang your assessment of the guy on what he ran at the combine?

exactly

guys criticize al davis for obsessing about the combine but so many people here are doing the same thing

I for one think Haden is the most overrated player in this draft. At least on this board and thought so before the combine.

Posters want to talk about who only had this or that against him. Without telling the fact that he didn't follow all those receivers around. In the games I watched he stayed on one side while the receivers were moved around. So the receivers only getting this or that should be credited to more than just him. Which brings me to the fact that I seen lesser receivers consistently get open against him. They just weren't for big plays which again can be credited to the rest of that defense.

Yes he may be touted as the best corner in this draft. But he's not a shut down corner. He got to do alot of his work 10 yards and in thanks to the help he got from the other 10 guys.
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
F**k Haden!! I don't like haden!! If the 49ers draft Haden. I will not happy about it. I think, Haden is so bust!

How do you really feel about it?

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

exactly

I for one think Haden is the most overrated player in this draft. At least on this board and thought so before the combine.

Posters want to talk about who only had this or that against him. Without telling the fact that he didn't follow all those receivers around. In the games I watched he stayed on one side while the receivers were moved around. So the receivers only getting this or that should be credited to more than just him. Which brings me to the fact that I seen lesser receivers consistently get open against him. They just weren't for big plays which again can be credited to the rest of that defense.

Yes he may be touted as the best corner in this draft. But he's not a shut down corner. He got to do alot of his work 10 yards and in thanks to the help he got from the other 10 guys.

I disagree man...especially at this point. If anything the guy is underrated now. Despite what he ran at the combine the guy has experience, athleticism can play man to man and zone. Has good ball skills and isn't afraid of contact.

You can't blame him for having a good defense around him you can pretty much say that against any corner on a good team. s**t Revis was a stud but not like the guys in front of him were crap. i don't know if Haden will get to the level of Revis but to me he compares very favorably with Clements.

And every corner gets beat from time to time...hell our defense thrives on keeping the big plays down. If he's there at #13 and the top OTs are gone we'd be crazy to skip this kid.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'd be happy with whoever they pick as long they turn out to be good players. Just don't draft anymore Alex Smith's and Kentwan Balmer's.
As long as we get a tackle in the 2nd, I would be ecstatic. Immediately our defense would go from top 15 to top 7 or 8. Yes, pass rush is still a need, but if we give the guys we've got more time to get to the quarterback, that will result in more sacks. We also have a, hopefully, improved Ahmad Brooks coming back. We could also spend a third or fourth on a passrusher. Elite defenses can hide mediocre offenses. The Jets last year and the 2000 Ravens had decent offenses. Good running games, but bad passing games. We have more weapons on offense than either one of those teams.
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
HELL NO!

Being aggresive is great when you're one player away. The niners are not one player away. Okung will cost too much to trade up to and you'll be paying him huge money. He's not good enough to trade that much for.

As much as we need RT you don't trade into the top 10 to take a RT. It's just stupid. If we wait at #13 and one lands you run up to the podium but being aggressive in getting a RT??? That's silly.

This is a deep draft and there will be very good players available at those 2 picks. Just because it may not be at RT doesn't mean the front office is making a mistake. You just need to hope our scouts are good enough that we can address RT in the other rounds.

"thats stupid" and "thats silly" are lazy supporting arguments....

Hoping our scouts are good enough to steal a stud OT in later rounds.....thats your solution to fixing to O-line???

I should clarify, the player Id trade up for is Okung. He is a left tackle. He would allow Staley to play RT and hence solve the hole at RT. Therefore we are drafting a LT. Williams Im not quite as excited about, and would only move up to maybe from 13-9 to aquire him.

Okung (definitely) and Williams (most likely) will be Top 10 selections. If the Niners are to improve on Offense, what position and prospects do you suggest?

QB- just signed Carr, Nate Davis strong 3
RB- just drafted Coffee last year as 2, Gore is still the bell cow
WR/TE- drafted Crabs last year, Davis is a 1st rd pick, wont pull a Matt Millen
O-Line- Staley is great, Baas is a Baast, Heitmann is aging, Rachal is a baby, RT??? Sims, Snyder, Boone, lol, we need a tackle

My suggestion is to move the 13 up 5-8 spots, and we keep the option to move the 17 down to recoup the losses for moving the 13 up. Kinda like Scotty MC had done pretty well the last few drafts. That leadership is apparently gone, and Im afraid the 49ers brass will do exactly as you want, and I oppose; and thats sit on their hands and not dictact the draft, rather have the draft dictated to them. Aka: Dummy drafting, having a rigid draft board set and unwilling to move, does not respond to stimuli, unwilling to move for fear of failure.

Im not saying go blindly hurling our way to the top of the draft with no regards for future teams. Im saying we should strategically move up and down the board, wheeling and dealing, breaking balls, and imposing our will. And we fix this O-line for future dominance.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
F**k Haden!! I don't like haden!! If the 49ers draft Haden. I will not happy about it. I think, Haden is so bust!

How do you really feel about it?

yes, i seem the first round for cb any team for since 2002 to 2009 that they didn't have talent or bust many. and few cb are some great. it is hard for them CB and very well.. I think, it is best the 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th round that would be great than 1st round!
Share 49ersWebzone