LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Alright, who now at #13?

Alright, who now at #13?

Take a moment and vote as I believe the only OT available would be A. Davis. From there, how does he compare to the others?
I think you go with Spiller.

Then, at 17, if Davis is still there you take him (if you think he can be motivated). If not, you take Thomas or Graham and look for a RT in round 2.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
It depends if Seattle takes a tackle at 6. If Davis is there at 13, but Seattle hasn't taken a tackle then you have to take him at 13 because Seattle will take him at 14. If Seattle does take a tackle at 6 then Davis should make it to us at 17, thus allowing us to take BPA at 13. Seattle is the key to everything, not to mention if Buffalo goes QB or OT at 9.
I don't think Davis will be there either. Haden and Iupati and Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I don't think Davis will be there either. Haden and Iupati and Vlad Ducasse in the 2nd.

I can live with that.
Just as I thought, A. Davis if he's there, Spiller and Haden seem to be the general consensus as to who may be drafted @ #13. I just think Haden is going to go to Jax. I don't think pass rush is as much as a need as CB. Take a look at who they have. Haden would instantly start over those yahoos.

So I believe it will be Spiller as I don't think A. Davis will get by either Oakland or Buffalo. If he does, he's the pick hands down no matter if Spiller or Haden are just one slot ahead of him on our board. I think all four OTs are higher than Spiller and Haden on our Board.

I am hoping Oakland does another "Bey" this year and allows A. Davis to slip by. Once past Oakland, A. Davis may be taken by Buffalo. The only other candidates for Buffalo would be Clausen and Dan Williams, a QB and a needy NT for their new 3-4 as they don't have a true 3-4 NT.

I am calling it right now that it will be one of the remaining top four tackles, Spiller or Haden at #13, all of whom could be considered top 10 picks.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Just as I thought, A. Davis if he's there, Spiller and Haden seem to be the general consensus as to who may be drafted @ #13. I just think Haden is going to go to Jax. I don't think pass rush is as much as a need as CB. Take a look at who they have. Haden would instantly start over those yahoos.

So I believe it will be Spiller as I don't think A. Davis will get by either Oakland or Buffalo. If he does, he's the pick hands down no matter if Spiller or Haden are just one slot ahead of him on our board. I think all four OTs are higher than Spiller and Haden on our Board.

I am hoping Oakland does another "Bey" this year and allows A. Davis to slip by. Once past Oakland, A. Davis may be taken by Buffalo. The only other candidates for Buffalo would be Clausen and Dan Williams, a QB and a needy NT for their new 3-4 as they don't have a true 3-4 NT.

I am calling it right now that it will be one of the remaining top four tackles, Spiller or Haden at #13, all of whom could be considered top 10 picks.

agreed if top 4 tackles are gone then haden then spiller
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I think you go with Spiller.

Then, at 17, if Davis is still there you take him (if you think he can be motivated). If not, you take Thomas or Graham and look for a RT in round 2.

This
This was really difficult. To me, it was between Anthony Davis and Joe Haden. I chose Joe Haden because we would be picking Anthony Davis out of need and kind of out of value. Haden is the best player here. The reason taking the BPA is the philosophy most teams go with in the draft is because if you reach for a need, the likelihood that it doesn't work out on that player is higher than the BPA. And if it doesn't work out, you still have that need. Right tackle is a major issue for us, but I think we can wait until the second round to address this. Plus if the Seachickens pick a tackle @ #6, Davis will most likely make it to #17. So we could probably end up with Haden and Davis, and we get good value for each of them.
Originally posted by Draftology:
This was really difficult. To me, it was between Anthony Davis and Joe Haden. I chose Joe Haden because we would be picking Anthony Davis out of need and kind of out of value. Haden is the best player here. The reason taking the BPA is the philosophy most teams go with in the draft is because if you reach for a need, the likelihood that it doesn't work out on that player is higher than the BPA. And if it doesn't work out, you still have that need. Right tackle is a major issue for us, but I think we can wait until the second round to address this. Plus if the Seachickens pick a tackle @ #6, Davis will most likely make it to #17. So we could probably end up with Haden and Davis, and we get good value for each of them.

I don't think it's even close. Taking the 4th OT in the draft at #13 is only a need pick, not value at all. Especially a guy with the question marks by his name that Davis has. 1st/best CB in the draft or 4th OT in the draft? Value pick = Haden every time. Not to mention I'm not so sure Davis would be starting at RT this year, even for the 49ers.

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:

I don't think it's even close. Taking the 4th OT in the draft at #13 is only a need pick, not value at all. Especially a guy with the question marks by his name that Davis has. 1st/best CB in the draft or 4th OT in the draft? Value pick = Haden every time. Not to mention I'm not so sure Davis would be starting at RT this year, even for the 49ers.

The flaw in that logic is this is pre-draft rankings. What if Davis turns out to be the best of the bunch and Haden only average? I don't think this class of OTs is all that seperate as propects. There's no Joe Thomas or Jake Long this year. I don't think any of these guys will be dominant, decade long pro bowlers, but all have the potential to be very solid. The same could be said for Haden, solid, not spectacular. There is great value for CBs later in the draft, not so much for OTs.
If A. Davis can be motivated, and singletary and Co. believe this, then he is a steal at #13 since he was once a top 5-7 player.

BUT, if they get a bad vibe from him...then I would like either combination of

Spiller and Thomas

Thomas and Graham

Spiller and Iupati

Thomas and Iupati

Wait till 2nd and see what develops...trading Baltimore for Gaither would also be my favorite option our 2nd for Gaither, a proven player.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TX9R:

The flaw in that logic is this is pre-draft rankings. What if Davis turns out to be the best of the bunch and Haden only average? I don't think this class of OTs is all that seperate as propects. There's no Joe Thomas or Jake Long this year. I don't think any of these guys will be dominant, decade long pro bowlers, but all have the potential to be very solid. The same could be said for Haden, solid, not spectacular. There is great value for CBs later in the draft, not so much for OTs.

I don't agree. Haden is more than solid he's excellent. If it comes down to Haden or Davis at 13, you take Haden and then take Davis at 17. Now if it's between Bulaga/Williams and Haden then you have a more difficult decision.
Originally posted by TX9R:

I definitely feel like there is good value for tackle in the 2nd round. But if the Seahawks pick a tackle @ 6, they won't pick one at 14 and the Giants and Titans don't need a tackle, so if Davis lasts until 13, I think he'll be there @ 17.
I'd be very happy with either Haden or Earl Thomas at #13 and Iupati at #17. We then come back and take a RT in the 2nd round.
Share 49ersWebzone