• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Trade up to draft a guard come on joe that's not smart business

guard/tackle...and he's a guy that Scouts Inc (McShay) has as the #14 prospect in the whole draft. To get his talent in the late 1st would be a steal.

Iupati's dilemma is that guards rarely get drafted high, even if they're the best guard anybody's ever seen. But he plays tackle too.

He's a guard he may be able to attempt to play tackle, but as of right now the guy is a guard. And sorry i'm not at all for trading away a 1st rounder for a guard. the position just doesn't hold the value. Unless you see a QB,LT,CB, or DE that you really want, I wouldn't trade away a future 1st rounder. Yes he's the best guard on the board but I'd rather reach for him then trade away a pick.

You would "rather reach for him then trade away a pick"? Isn't that the same as trading away a future pick???

Also, would you trade away a future #1 for Steve Hutchinson? He went at #17, I believe that's the highest a guard has ever gone...and he's the best Guard in the league.

How is reaching for a guy the same as trading away a pick? If you think the guy is rated between 20-24 and you draft him at 17 then that is a reach. How is that the same as trading away your 1st rounder for 2011?

And i wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for Hutchinson. He's the best in the league but there are plenty of guys drafted below him that do above average work. the problem is the Niners GM keeps picking the wrong guys.

Lamont is correct, Iupati is an OG who some project as a possible OT but he had ZERO starts at OT during his college career.

Once upon a time Hutch was the best OG but now one could easily argue that Jahri Evans, Logan Mankins or Todd Herremans is the best OG in the league. One of those guys was a 2nd round pick, the other 2 were 4th rounders.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Iupati at 17 however I would not trade next year's 1st to move back into the 1st round to get Iupati.

One thing we do need to question Lamont...is it the OL coaching or Scot who has done a subpar job with the interior lineman. We have seen 2 different OL coaches and no progression really from Snyder,Baas or Rachal. Baas and Rachal were both well regarded as prospects coming out of college. It could be Scot but evidence points to the coaching being not so great.
  • evil
  • Veteran
One hypothetical trade-back scenario is Dallas sending us their #90 and the #27 for the #17 to take S Earl Thomas. FS is a huge need for Dallas and he's local.

We can still get a star at 13, Iupati at 27, an OT at 49, and perhaps a couple of defensive backs at 79 and 90.

LT is a big need for Dallas as well. The Hotel has declined quite a bit and finding the longterm answer is necessary. With a plethora of good safety prospects I am not convinced the Cowboys jump up for Thomas but they might if one of the top 4 OT's somehow dropped.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
One hypothetical trade-back scenario is Dallas sending us their #90 and the #27 for the #17 to take S Earl Thomas. FS is a huge need for Dallas and he's local.

We can still get a star at 13, Iupati at 27, an OT at 49, and perhaps a couple of defensive backs at 79 and 90.

LT is a big need for Dallas as well. The Hotel has declined quite a bit and finding the longterm answer is necessary. With a plethora of good safety prospects I am not convinced the Cowboys jump up for Thomas but they might if one of the top 4 OT's somehow dropped.

Doesn't Jerry get infatuated w/ certain players?
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by saj4423:
I think that trading back into the first round will cost them a third this year and next years #1 which is a little more than I would be willing to spend.

Where are you pulling that from? Trade Calculator dictates a 3rd rounder to move up from 49 to 25. I think you're speculating about keeping the #49...which isn't a bd move either.

We'd give up our #1 next year and take 4 players in the first 50 picks this year. We can take Iupati AND an OT!

I never like the idea of trading away a 1st rounder. Instead, I think I would prefer Iupati, a tackle and only one of your sexy picks.

But Iupati is a reach at 13 or 17; You'd get better value trading up for him.

Also, trading away future #1s isn't a bad move if done right. There's a reason draft value charts value "next year" picks at 50% value. That's a year of development lost.

For example, if we traded a #1 to get Iupati, Iupati in his second season in 2011 would be much better than a rookie RT in 2011.

Or we could trade down for him.

Regarding future No 1's, don't try reasoning with me. You may have all the arguments in the world but I still hate the idea! Takes away your flexibility and spoils next year's draft.

Trading with Dallas is like negotiating with Satan. But the deal looks ok and I suspect that in a year's time everyone will have forgotten where we drafted Iupati. And for once we will have a line!

We just wont have any QB worth a s**t and an OC that might possibly be the worst in the history of teh 49ers. Great just great

Way to change the subject. Perhaps you could explain how possibly trading for a guard will solve your perception of our qb or OC problems. I would have thought improving the line would be a good thing if you have qb concerns. But I am fairly sure you can find a thread to moan about Raye or Smith. I seem to recall seeing one once
Iupati is not a reach at 17. I don't understand why he would be if he's considered the best guard prospect in the draft who may have some ability to slide to RT.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Doesn't Jerry get infatuated w/ certain players?

Every GM does (and yes I know JJ is not a GM but he often acts as such), but Jerry Jones is very well aware that LT is probably the 3rd most important position on a football team and a declining soon to be 35 year old OT may cause him to stay put unless one of the top 4 drop. He could look to add a S and OL in the first 2 rounds.

Remember Dallas had no 1st or 2nd round pick last year so they will be leery about trading either of the top 2 picks they possess this year. They need some players who can make immediate contributions in what is one of the toughest divisions in the NFL.
Don't need to trade up for him. He won't be going in the top 10 no matter how good you think he is.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Don't need to trade up for him. He won't be going in the top 10 no matter how good you think he is.

No, trading up from #49.
I think Iupati would likely be gone by the mid 20s. However, I would not be too opposed to losing a 3rd round pick to moving up. I would never take him at 13 and 17 as you say but getting him at the end of rd 1 makes some sense.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Mar 15, 2010 at 10:19 AM ]
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Why on earth would we trade up for a guy that is going to be there at #13 anyway? Iupati isnt going to go before that and if he does somehow that would mean most likely that one of the big OTs like Williams would fall in our laps.

Not a fan of taking an OG that high and certainly not to give up picks to get one with the 13th pick.

He wasn't talking about trading up from 13. Read the thread. He is talking about trading up from our 2nd rounder.

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

No, trading up from #49.

Still, the guy is not going to last past the mid twenties in the draft. Hell, he probably will be taken by the Steelers at #18. There are plenty of other options without giving up any future picks to get this guy in addition to our first two picks (Asamoah, M. Johnson, J. Jerry, etc).
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Why on earth would we trade up for a guy that is going to be there at #13 anyway? Iupati isnt going to go before that and if he does somehow that would mean most likely that one of the big OTs like Williams would fall in our laps.

Not a fan of taking an OG that high and certainly not to give up picks to get one with the 13th pick.

He wasn't talking about trading up from 13. Read the thread. He is talking about trading up from our 2nd rounder.

My bad.
Iupati is not a reach at 17.

I actually like him better than Branden Albert who went at #15 in 2008.
I love Iupati, but I'm not sold on the idea of him playing OT after his performance at the senior bowl.

If we believe Iupati to be a reach at 13 & 17, than I think the smarter play is to trade back, not up. There are some very talented kids at some positions of need (safety, for example) looking at 2nd / early 3rd round selections this year simply because its a deep class. I'd rather trade back, get one of those guys, and keep next year's first in case we need a QB.
Id rather have Nate Allen an John Jerry or Jon Asamoah and ReShard Jones
Share 49ersWebzone