LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 234 users in the forums

Seahawks acquiring Marshall means Spiller available at #17?

It's looking more and more likely that the 49ers will take a RT with the #13 pick, unless someone like Berry or maybe Haden is still available. Either way, Webzone favorite C.J. Spiller is considered a "luxury" pick for the Niners, on account of not being a position of need and having two first-round picks, and is therefore not likely to be taken at #13.

This has led to multiple mock drafts that will certainly be a punch to the gut of all 49er fans: a scenario where Spiller is available at #13, we pass on him to take a RT, the Seahawks take Spiller at #14, the Giants and Titans don't take an OT, and we're on the clock at #17 facing a scenario where we could have taken Spiller #13 and still gotten the same RT at #17. And we have to defend against Spiller twice a year for the next decade.

In fact, the most popular slots that Spiller has been going in mock drafts is to San Fran (at either pick), to Seattle at #14, or to Houston at #20.

Part of the problem is that Seattle has two first-round picks, and they're both before our second pick. So they could easily take a player like Berry, Clausen, or Okung at #6, fill a huge need, and still draft a back like Spiller.

But if the reports are true, which peg Seattle as the likely landing for Denver WR Brandon Marshall---and surrendering their #6 pick as a result---suddenly Seattle is drafting behind SF, and has only one 1st-round pick to fill their biggest needs.

If Seattle gets Marshall, I think that means that they won't take use their 1st-round pick on an undersized back, and instead solidify their OL, pass-rush, or secondary with the BPA at #14. Which means we can draft the best tackle available at #13, which the front office is keen on doing anyways, and still have Spiller at #17, who would pretty easily be the BPA.

Consider:

1. St. Louis: Bradford
2. Detroit: Suh (scary D-Line, btw)
3. Tampa Bay: McCoy
4. Washington: Okung (Campbell's coming back)
5. Kansas City: Davis
6. Denver: Berry
7. Cleveland: Haden
8. Oakland: Campbell
9. Buffalo: Clausen
10. Jacksonville: Griffen or Williams
11. Denver: Bryant
12. Miami: McClain
13. San Francisco: Williams or Buluga
14. Seattle: Williams or Buluga
15. New York: Thomas
16. Tennessee: JPP or Morgan
17. San Francisco: Spiller`

Follow that up with a CB or S in the 2nd round and interior lineman or pass-rusher in the 3rd, and we have a solid, solid draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Im willing to bet you my left nut that McClueless will not draft him.
Originally posted by susweel:

But what if no one wants your nut? Can I have your boob?
I don't care about Spiller...but I hope they do that trade. I think giving up #6 in this draft for Marshall would be a huge mistake with his head the way it is.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

But what if no one wants your nut? Can I have your boob?

it better be the left boob cause he already owes me his right!

I respect that you stand by that statement. We'll see come April if you're right or not.

-Dom
lol not goingto happen. seattle will probably wind up giving Denver their 2nd round pick. anything can be negotiated.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sspiker:

If Seattle gets Marshall, I think that means that they won't take use their 1st-round pick on an undersized back, and instead solidify their OL, pass-rush, or secondary with the BPA at #14. Which means we can draft the best tackle available at #13, which the front office is keen on doing anyways, and still have Spiller at #17, who would pretty easily be the BPA.

The NY Giants may not need Spiller but could take him if he is deemed BPA just like any team can trade up ahead of 17 to grab Spiller.

The 49ers will take the highest rated player on our board.
I don't think I'd celebrate having to face Brandon Marshall twice a year. When that guy is on the field and not being a distraction he dominates even with suspect QB play.

Since when did one RB change a franchise? People in the 'Zone are acting like if we get Spiller then our troubles are over. Spiller can't block for Spiller. Spiller can't rush the passer. Spiller can't help our DB's cover. If he's the best player available when we pick then we should take him, but remember running backs are a dime a dozen in th NFL. Would he help immediately in the return game? Yes. Will he help to spell Frank and possibly help to prolong his career? Possibly. Will one player change our team into a Super Bowl Contender? In my opinon no. If we take the best player available with our first four picks we will help our team improve. Falling in love with a player leads to reaching and over-compensation. All of the thing that I said he could do above we could easily do with what we've got or through free-agency.
Why are the Seahawks going after Marshall and we are not?

and Spiller being available at #17 probably means Spiller will be available at #18 #19 and #20

If you dislike what McClueless (as you call him) does, why don't you go become a fan of say the Raiders until he is gone.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Just a wild guess: cause he's a head case with character issues who's also a cancer in the locker room and will require one HUGE contract once he gets to Seattle, in addition to the draft pick he will cost them. Then when he arrives, he will no longer be motivated to play for a big contract, meaning that Seattle will have wasted time, money, and draft picks.
So the NFC west loses Boldin but gains Marshall.

I still think the 49ers need to get a corner to compensate.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Just a wild guess: cause he's a head case with character issues who's also a cancer in the locker room and will require one HUGE contract once he gets to Seattle, in addition to the draft pick he will cost them. Then when he arrives, he will no longer be motivated to play for a big contract, meaning that Seattle will have wasted time, money, and draft picks.

Not to mention Seattle is really baring a TON of other needs to get anywhere close to being a fully competitive team again outside of the NFC West/Quest Field.

People are running s**t-scared thinking that when they get Marshall their offense is going to unleash hell upon us... ok?

LOL:

1. Seattle's o-line is still a piece of garbage. (Even with Gibbs running the show that line is going to be at least a 4-year work in progress).

2. Hassleback is old as f**k (and any other QB they acquire still has to play behind that o-line).

3. Defense, the only relevantly talented player on that team is Tatupu, and all Lofa does is get injured these days.

Pete Carroll is seriously in over his head (even with all the money and coaching talent at whim), and this will be first football season for him in ages where he won't be able to bring in talent from all over the country through scholarship recruiting.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone