LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

Pat Kirwan's 1st Mock-Post Combine

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Mays is not anywhere near as bad as he is made out to be on this board. Every single year the WZ falls in love with a player and in hate with a player for the draft.

This year it's these.

Love: CJ Spiller.

Hate: Taylor Mays.

Everywhere in the U.S. other than the 49ersWZ Mays is a consensus 1st round pick and a super rare athlete. He wouldn't make a team worse. He would in fact make any team better.

That would be because Spiller not only showed his stuff and the combine but actually was a star on the field in college. Mays? Not so much when it counted.

How was Mays not good in College?
The niners better not pass on Iupati with the 17th pick.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
The niners better not pass on Iupati with the 17th pick.

Iupati would be my pick at 17th too.
Mays is not anywhere near as bad as he is made out to be on this board. Every single year the WZ falls in love with a player and in hate with a player for the draft.

This year it's these.

Everywhere in the U.S. other than the 49ersWZ Mays is a consensus 1st round pick and a super rare athlete. He wouldn't make a team worse. He would in fact make any team better.

Finally, a Mays supporter. We are few and far between around these parts.

This year it's these.

That would be because Spiller not only showed his stuff and the combine but actually was a star on the field in college. Mays? Not so much when it counted.

He was a FS who got 2 INTs in the last 3 years and he's horrible in coverage. He's pretty much a younger version of Michael Lewis with better straight line speed. But he's not great laterally or anything, he doesn't cover well. He's going to be a lot like Roy Williams. I'd much rather have a guy like Earl Thomas who PRODUCED in college (8 INTs last year) or Berry(14 career INTs) if we're taking a FS in the first, not that Berry will be available but ET might. If those guys are on the board when we pick, if JPP or Brandon Graham are on the board or Golden Tate and we already have our RT I'd take any of them over Mays.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

This year it's these.

He was a FS who got 2 INTs in the last 3 years and he's horrible in coverage. He's pretty much a younger version of Michael Lewis with better straight line speed. But he's not great laterally or anything, he doesn't cover well. He's going to be a lot like Roy Williams. I'd much rather have a guy like Earl Thomas who PRODUCED in college (8 INTs last year) or Berry(14 career INTs) if we're taking a FS in the first, not that Berry will be available but ET might. If those guys are on the board when we pick, if JPP or Brandon Graham are on the board or Golden Tate and we already have our RT I'd take any of them over Mays.

See, this is the ignorance im talkin about. USC's defense this year didn't play with a Free and Strong Safety. Mays played essentially a center fielder, rover type coverage. It's difficult to get picks when youre asked to cover....everything. It just so happens that he also dips down into the box a lot, thus the nearly 100 tackles.

Mays isnt being drafted to be any teams FREE Safety, he'll be a teams heckuva STRONG Safety.

I compare Mays most accurately to Adrian Wilson. A big time hitter with tons of athletic ability. Somewhat limited in coverage-but thats not his job. So i ask you, wouldnt you take the second coming of adrian wilson with 4.3 speed @ 17???? I sure as heck would.
Just hoping for Jerry Hughes to slip to us in the 2nd or for us to trade up and grab him... Trent Williams and Iupati in the 1st with Hughes in the 2nd and maybe Demarius Thomas in the 3rd would make me a very happy man.

This of course is assuming that Berry doesnt stand a chance and making it to us in the 1st.

This year it's these.

Couldn't agree more. Fans should never fall in love or hate a player prior to the draft because more than likely the 49ers will not draft who you really want (like Aaron Rodgers, Desean Jackson, Everette Brown, Quentin Groves)
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Just hoping for Jerry Hughes to slip to us in the 2nd or for us to trade up and grab him... Trent Williams and Iupati in the 1st with Hughes in the 2nd and maybe Demarius Thomas in the 3rd would make me a very happy man.

This of course is assuming that Berry doesnt stand a chance and making it to us in the 1st.

would love this, Demarius had biggest hands at the combine IIRC. Iupati is going to be a pro bowler, Williams would be great on the RT side, and Hughes just would help keep the rush fresh.

Make it happen Scott
  • Chief
  • Veteran
I would be really happy with that draft.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

This year it's these.

He's faster and more athletic than Michael Lewis and Roy Williams. No comparison there. As other posters have said USC asked their safety to be a center fielder and not necessarily to get interceptions. He was used often near the line of scrimmage to make hits.
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
No thank you Pat, I don't want Taylor Mays. GTFO.

+1
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
If Berry makes it to Jacksonville's pick we should trade up to get him. If Williams is there at 13 he should make it to 17, and IMO it's worth the risk that he doesn't make it to 17.

And if Williams doesn't make it to 17, it's easy. Just draft Graham or Spiller and pick up a tackle later.

NOW THIS WOULD BE A POWER MOVE!!!!

This is exactly the kind of aggresive moves we have to make this draft/offseason. Identify your guy and go get 'em!!
Originally posted by noobie:
Dez Bryant at 25? I would take him at 17 in a second.

Mike Iupati, G,

as a fan....

i would be in a very happy place at 17 looking at that pair
I would be happy with Trent Williams and Taylor Mays.

Could you imagine Mays and Willis knocking everbody's head off. That would be great. I know most people on here dis him alot, but I actually like the dude.
Share 49ersWebzone