There are 305 users in the forums

Joe Haden runs a pedestrian 4.57 on his 40! (Eric Berry at 4.45)

yeah ledge judge a players value based on ONE 40 yard dash time.

if hes there at 13, we seriously have to consider it. i say pick one of Okung, Bulaga, or Williams. best of whatever T is left at 13.

then if Haden falls to 17, we jump on it. a slow 40 will makes teams shy away especially in a very very deep CB draft.
Originally posted by smileyman:
Originally posted by jta854:

What if the runs a faster time at his proday (its happened before)? Will all of you jump back on the Joe Haden bandwagon?

Guarantee he'll run faster on his pro day. He'll be running on a track, with cleats and if it's windy he'll have a headwind at his back.

No, I won't jump back on the Haden band wagon. I was never on it.

They always run in cleats, so I will disregard that part of your statement. So that leaves us with track and wind. If it’s not windy that day, are you going to credit a faster time (if it is) just to the surface?

The difference in a great DB 40 time (4.3) and a bad 40 time (4.5) is just 2 tenths of a second. A human eye blink takes 3-4 tenths of a second. So some of you are killing this guy for being half of blink of an eye slower than we expected! The kid ran slower than we expected, and I’m sure the scouts will go back and watch more film. But he will still be picked before our 13th pick IMO. If he is there at 13, I say take him.
Game speed only please...he's still dang good
Haden is a player, there is a reason people expected him to run in the 4.3's and that is because of his game tape. The guy has great fluid hips, great RECOVERY speed and good quickness. Is he a top 10 pick? No, he does not have the athleticism for be a true shutdown guy, he would be much better of in a Zone type defense(ala Tampa 2 or Indy's Defense) much like Aqib Talib a couple years back but with better ball/cover skills. Hinging your opinion on him based on this 40 is silly because he plays much faster then he times.
Who gives a s**t. He's a press cover corner. He doesn't need to be all that fast.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Who gives a s**t. He's a press cover corner. He doesn't need to be all that fast.

Press Corners need to be faster, typically speaking. Being a press corner would implying that he is a Island corner or a pure man cover corner. That being said being left on an island normally means the guy is faster and quicker then a zone corner which is much more likely what Haden will be. Some people may think he is a press corner but if you look at his film he won't be big enough or fast enough to be one in the NFL.
Originally posted by nvchamp9ers:

Press Corners need to be faster, typically speaking. Being a press corner would implying that he is a Island corner or a pure man cover corner. That being said being left on an island normally means the guy is faster and quicker then a zone corner which is much more likely what Haden will be. Some people may think he is a press corner but if you look at his film he won't be big enough or fast enough to be one in the NFL.

Do you feel that he fits our system? Also I've been eager to hear your opinion on some other DBs in this draft, namely: Wilson, Earl Thomas, Arenas, McCourty, and Rashad Jones. Thanks!
i would love joe haden due to our weak pass defense he offers an upgrade he has football speed jerry wasn't a 4.3 in the 40 yrd dash but simply best reciever to eva play stop being cheap pick up some free agents jed york promised us playoffs open up ur wallet that the 1st step in showing us ur for real about winning
we dont need to trade any picks we are in a prime position with 2 1st rounders in a draft filled with talent the problem i have is this conservative or cheap approach team is taking during free agency when we won our superbowl eddie d stockpilled our teams with quality veterans for our superbowl run now i know some may disagree but darren sharper nine ints 6 house calls is a great addition for a team weak at safety and pass defense michael lewis is one concussion away from retirement we need a safety i hate mark roman 1 pick in four years a s starter why would we not try to pick up a rolle or sharper both probowlers also t.o would be a good addition to wr corps to replace aging bruce and a non productive brandon jones if not t.o what about antonio bryant he was good for us one year great for tb next year he has some character issues but we have strong coach in place to deal with any characters remember at one point vernon davis was a character mike crabtree was supposed to be a diva both our prime playmakers under iron mike we need to stop being cheap and pick up a starter or two in free agency
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Do you feel that he fits our system? Also I've been eager to hear your opinion on some other DBs in this draft, namely: Wilson, Earl Thomas, Arenas, McCourty, and Rashad Jones. Thanks!

I would say that he could definetly excel in our system for the simple fact that he is physical and we run a lot of zone or man top coverage. I would not pick him up at 13 but at 17 he would be a real value to us, especially since we are getting older in the CB department as far as our starters go. As far as the other guys mentioned, I am not really a big fan of many of them. Arenas has major holes in coverage range and is easily fooled by QB's eyes which will be a major problem on the next level. Jones is mediocre on film as far as his footwork and technique go and I am still not sold on the fluidty of his hips. Wilson raises those same concerns to me. Now the 2 I really like are Thomas and Mccourty, both look very fluid on film and seem to have very good coverage skills. Thomas will get beat because he is a risk taker and likes to go for the Home run. Overall I would be happy if we got Thomas or Mccourty although the best Db's are still far and away Mays, Berry, and Haden.

I would say that he could definetly excel in our system for the simple fact that he is physical and we run a lot of zone or man top coverage. I would not pick him up at 13 but at 17 he would be a real value to us, especially since we are getting older in the CB department as far as our starters go. As far as the other guys mentioned, I am not really a big fan of many of them. Arenas has major holes in coverage range and is easily fooled by QB's eyes which will be a major problem on the next level. Jones is mediocre on film as far as his footwork and technique go and I am still not sold on the fluidty of his hips. Wilson raises those same concerns to me. Now the 2 I really like are Thomas and Mccourty, both look very fluid on film and seem to have very good coverage skills. Thomas will get beat because he is a risk taker and likes to go for the Home run. Overall I would be happy if we got Thomas or Mccourty although the best Db's are still far and away Mays, Berry, and Haden.

What are your thoughts of Jerome Murphy out of USF?

Originally posted by jreff22:

The first thing I think when I see him in games is "wow that's a tough son of a b***h right there". He is aggressive and not afriad to make a hit, however his leverage when tackling and wrapping up are both pretty bad. He definetly does not have the speed to be a man cover corner, he will be a cover 2 guy all the way if he wants to be sucessful. Sometimes he has some major isssues about getting off blocks and being taken out of plays when he needs to hold the edge. One thing he is great at is rerouting WR at the line and throwing off their timing. I would expect him to be a solid #2 guy or an outstanding nickel back in the league and he would be worth a look in round 3 or 4 if I was the one doing the drafting.

The first thing I think when I see him in games is "wow that's a tough son of a b***h right there". He is aggressive and not afriad to make a hit, however his leverage when tackling and wrapping up are both pretty bad. He definetly does not have the speed to be a man cover corner, he will be a cover 2 guy all the way if he wants to be sucessful. Sometimes he has some major isssues about getting off blocks and being taken out of plays when he needs to hold the edge. One thing he is great at is rerouting WR at the line and throwing off their timing. I would expect him to be a solid #2 guy or an outstanding nickel back in the league and he would be worth a look in round 3 or 4 if I was the one doing the drafting.

Couldn't agree more with his physicality...watching the Senior Bowl practices I immediately pegged him as a tough son of a b***h. He is a guy I will be eying in the 3rd round, cant see him falling to the 4th.

Couldn't agree more with his physicality...watching the Senior Bowl practices I immediately pegged him as a tough son of a b***h. He is a guy I will be eying in the 3rd round, cant see him falling to the 4th.

The thing that will determine whether he goes in the 3rd or the 4th is when teams that run a pure cover 2 really value him as because teams running a man coverage scheme won't take him unless they really need a nickel(most teams wouldn't spend a 3rd for a Nickel) he could be a 2nd guy for a cover 2 team so it really will all just depend on supply and demand at that point.

The thing that will determine whether he goes in the 3rd or the 4th is when teams that run a pure cover 2 really value him as because teams running a man coverage scheme won't take him unless they really need a nickel(most teams wouldn't spend a 3rd for a Nickel) he could be a 2nd guy for a cover 2 team so it really will all just depend on supply and demand at that point.

Fair enough....Looking at our situation and seeing Hudson gone, Bly up in the air, Harris is a big ?, and Brown didn't show much of anything last year.....I would take him in the 3rd.
im not sold on Haden, but take for example how everyone was so impressed with jason hill's 40 time I think he ran a 4.37 but in reality he's a 4.5 wr. So yes game speed is a real thing. I say take Wilson at 17 but if one of our 2 picks is Haden I cant complain.
Share 49ersWebzone