LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

PTulini's 2010 49ers Mock Draft- Version 1 (03/01/10)

I have no problem with the draft, but I do think that we will very likely retain Barry Sims and could definitely see us not retaining Dre Bly.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
The first thing I will say is that you and I have similar tastes. Williams, Graham, Norwood, and Brown are all some of my favorite players in this draft. I do think you may have over drafted a few positions though.

As much as I like both Norwood and Graham, I think we should just pick one of them. After all, we have 3 other pretty good OLBs that need playing time. Having 4 OLBs all rotating and staying fresh makes sense. Having 5 sounds like a bit of a log jam.

And while I can see the logic behind taking two tackles, I think we'd be better off drafting just one and retaining either Sims or Pashos.

With those extra picks you could handle some other needs, like safety.

Still, not a bad draft. And certainly one that's full of exciting players.

Agree, nice post.
Well thought out and would be thrilled if things played out this way. But I doubt a few of the points:

Retention:

Sims was excellent as Staley's back-up at LT over half a season. He might suck as a RT, but he makes the club as the back-up at LT, for at least one more year.

Wragge has been the primary back-up at all 3 interior OL positions. Do you see Wallace beating-out Wragge? Snyder can't play center, so is not as versatile as Wragge on the inside. I agree that Foerster was not a Wragge fan. Let's see how Solari/Brown view this hard-working, bull-strong over-achiever. My guess is that Wallace may be the interior OL who gets cut. The club could also pick-up a seasoned OG/C in FA to muddy the water for the interior OL.

Roman has been a whipping boy as the starting FS, but he is a valuable back-up and played better in that capacity in 2009. He can back up at BOTH FS and SS, and the coaches have trust in Roman knowing his own assignment and those around him (wore the green dot). I haven't seen anything yet from R. Smith or Taylor to challenge Roman's immediate value. With BOTH starters (M. Lewis and Goldson) possibly injury-prone, Roman remains very valuable for at least one more year.

Finley looks to be ready to contribute in 2010. He beat out Pascoe last year and has had almost 2 years in the Niner system via the PS. With Raye's preference for the 2 TE sets, the club will almost surely carry 3 TE's on the Final 53 this year, and Finley will almost assuredly bring more value than a rookie, although a FA TE (Curtis?) could possibly move ahead of him.

The Draft:
Post-combine, it seems evident to me that Okung, Bulaga and Williams will all be gone before the 13th pick. I don't like Davis (lazy and fat-prone) or Campbell (way too green to help before 2012), or the USC kid (too much like Staley), so the OT selection (and Scotty HAS TO make one within the first 3 rounds) is going to be a very tough call. Keep an eye on the kid from Abilene Christian (Tony Washington), a developmental prospect like Campbell, but at a much cheaper cost.

Re Rolle, 3 words: Dr John Frank. For those too young to remember, this Round 2 pick was committed to medicine over football (good for him!), and, while he was good for 2-3 years or so, the club never got the career that one should get from a Round 2 pick. Rolle wants to be a doctor, not a football player.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Mar 2, 2010 at 10:26:41 ]
A+ on this one
For the most part, I like the draft (not crazy about Perrish Cox from a character/dedication standpoint)...swap out Darren Sproles for Willie Parker (serious injury concerns) and I'm completely behind it.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
For the most part, I like the draft (not crazy about Perrish Cox from a character/dedication standpoint)...swap out Darren Sproles for Willie Parker (serious injury concerns) and I'm completely behind it.

What kind of character issues does Cox have?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, get rid of Parker, but the rest looks good. Nice job.
So overall, I did ok?
Originally posted by lamontb:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4435851

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-states-perrish-cox-suspended-from-cotton-bowl/article/3429185

http://newsok.com/perrish-cox-drops-the-ball-again/article/3442978?custom_click=lead_story_title

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 2, 2010 at 13:35:39 ]

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-states-perrish-cox-suspended-from-cotton-bowl/article/3429185

http://newsok.com/perrish-cox-drops-the-ball-again/article/3442978?custom_click=lead_story_title

Whoa suspended license thing doesn't bother me but breaking curfew to party instead of being there for your teamates isn't the best thing in the world. and he should've expected to be harassed on the subject. It's obvious that teams want to know if you are dedicated to the team or the money you bout to make.

Whoa suspended license thing doesn't bother me but breaking curfew to party instead of being there for your teamates isn't the best thing in the world. and he should've expected to be harassed on the subject. It's obvious that teams want to know if you are dedicated to the team or the money you bout to make.

Its risk vs. reward. I'd still take him! Like the one article says:

Quote:

"You’re going against the grain,” Gil Brandt said of trying to convince NFL personnel to overlook transgressions.

Brandt, the Dallas Cowboys’ scouting director in the Tom Landry days and now chief draft analyst for nfl.com, said Cox is a "talented player. But people now have taken the attitude, they’d rather have a 70 percent dependable player than a 100 percent undependable player.

"It’s unfortunate. I don’t think he’s going to go as high as had he not had those two late nights out in Dallas. When he does things like that, it costs him money.”

Cox has first-round talent; he’s a very good cornerback with big-play ability returning kicks. First-round talent and 20th-round common sense.
Originally posted by PTulini:

Round 1 #13- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma (6'5, 315 lbs.)

Round 1 #17- Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan (6'1, 268 lbs.)

Round 2 #49 Chad Jones, S, LSU

[b][u]Round 3 #79 Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida

[b][u]Round 4
- Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian (6'6, 311 lbs.)

NO PICTURE...

Round 5- Antonio Brown, WR/PR/KR, Central Michigan (5'10, 186 lbs.)

Round 6- Brandon Carter, OG, Texas Tech (6'5, 329 lbs.)

Round 7- Nathan Tripplett, ILB, Minnesota (6'3, 250 lbs.)

-Pat

Nice job, I changed 2nd an 3rd picks if available I like them better.
Originally posted by 5xChamp:
Originally posted by PTulini:

Round 1 #13- Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma (6'5, 315 lbs.)

Round 1 #17- Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan (6'1, 268 lbs.)

Round 2 #49 Chad Jones, S, LSU

[b][u]Round 3 #79 Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida

[b][u]Round 4
- Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian (6'6, 311 lbs.)

NO PICTURE...

Round 5- Antonio Brown, WR/PR/KR, Central Michigan (5'10, 186 lbs.)

Round 6- Brandon Carter, OG, Texas Tech (6'5, 329 lbs.)

Round 7- Nathan Tripplett, ILB, Minnesota (6'3, 250 lbs.)

-Pat

Nice job, I changed 2nd an 3rd picks if available I like them better.

That would work for me. I appreciate your imput.
Trent Williams won't last that long.
  • dj43
I like it overall.

Somewhere along the way I would add a RB besides Parker. Gore is terrific but the team really needs a match up back the demands the opponent account for him both running and catching the ball. I just don't think this team has a much offensive firepower as it needs to really roll.
Share 49ersWebzone