There are 279 users in the forums

At #13, Spiller or MCClain?

At #13, Spiller or MCClain?

• cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by cupcheck:
The Minnesota vikings had a 1000 yrd. rusher in Chester Taylor the year they took the #1 RB. in the draft, Adrien Peterson.Do you think they couldn't have used that pick on a more urgent need? QB! The point is IF Frank Gore gets hurt or worn down by playoff time then what?Sometimes #1 at a position trumps #4or #5 at a need position.

They were no qbs avaliable worth the selection and gore >>>>>> Chester Taylor then and now and theyalrwady had a solid o line. O line is the most important especially if u rank in the bottom 5

I was just point out a similar scenario of a#1 RB available to a running team, verses the #4 or #5 option of a need.
Not sure if this is a good comparison. But during the playoffs Thomas Jones didn't do s**t, it was all Greene.
Honestly, I don't think McClain is going to be in the conversation for the Niners. He is a good player, who will probably be drafted in the 14-18 pick area, but is not good value for a Ted. He is also a player who benefited a lot playing behind Cody, so it is difficult to know how talented he will be at the next level.

I think he's the best ILB in this draft, but his skills don't match what the Niners want from their Ted backer. Ted backers often assume the role of swallowing up blockers to free their Mike to make plays.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by teeohh:
Not sure if this is a good comparison. But during the playoffs Thomas Jones didn't do s**t, it was all Greene.

It speaks volumes to the benefit of a back with fresh legs in the playoffs
Originally posted by ImaMod:
This is simple, we need Spiller, we dont need McClain.
  • nuggetsNcarrots
  • Info N/A
Post number one

I'd like to see us take an OT or Iupati in the first. And in the first round, a NT or Mays . Toby Gerhardt might be a good second round pick. A corner or safety in the second are other possibilities.

[ Edited by nuggetsNcarrots on Feb 25, 2010 at 22:36:04 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Honestly, I don't think McClain is going to be in the conversation for the Niners. He is a good player, who will probably be drafted in the 14-18 pick area, but is not good value for a Ted. He is also a player who benefited a lot playing behind Cody, so it is difficult to know how talented he will be at the next level.

I think he's the best ILB in this draft, but his skills don't match what the Niners want from their Ted backer. Ted backers often assume the role of swallowing up blockers to free their Mike to make plays.

Niners were willing to spend the 10th overall pick on Maualuga last year to play TED
Originally posted by Sinsation:
Originally posted by strickac:
More likely, neither. I could get excited about Spiller, but McClain would be a bad pick, IMO.

I think it'll be Brandon Graham, Trent Williams or Mike Iupati at #13. Then we'll come back for a power back (Dwyer, Blount or even Charles Scott, Anthony Dixon or Toby Gerhart).

For the value, Blount would be a steal in the 5th. Had he not been suspended, he'd probably be projected in the 2nd-3rd round.
that dood deserved to get punched...

Why exactly is that?
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Niners were willing to spend the 10th overall pick on Maualuga last year to play TED

They were going to take Oher #10 until Crabs fell. They would not have traded their 2nd round pick if Maualuga was there. I would rather hope Spikes falls to the 2nd, then draft McClain at #17.
How about we take the best OT on the board...and that's not Iupati. Campbell, Bulaga, Charles Brown are all guys who fit OL Coach Solari's criteria better than Williams and Davis. Okung will be gone in first few picks. With the 2nd pick, you can go in several different directions...DL, CB, RB. I think Haden may be the only exception at #13...if he's there, no way you pass on him. Much as I like what Spiller could bring, there are quite a few other guys who'd improve our KR game. It could just be that Mac wants a bigger RB...like Gerhart or Dixon. Agree on McClain, good player, but not a position of need and too many other higher priorities.

I've now got a boner for spiller. So spiller.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

They were going to take Oher #10 until Crabs fell. They would not have traded their 2nd round pick if Maualuga was there. I would rather hope Spikes falls to the 2nd, then draft McClain at #17.

Singletary said that the next on the list would be Oher (after Crabtree), and then Maualuga, for the #10 spot.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I've now got a boner for spiller. So spiller.

You mean you have a BROner
Better scenario: sign Sproles, then draft Campbell and Iupati in 1st rd. That takes care of the OL upgrade, then Singletary/Mac can go a zillion different directions to acquire BPA at a number of positions.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
I would rather take Spiller since we already have McKillop developing. MLB should be the least of their concerns right now.

Spikes is most likely done after next year and at that point they have nothing at that position. McKillop is a fifth rounder who has shown nothing outside of ST play.

MLB is going to be a huge concern next season.

(I agree that McClain is not the right guy to play next to Willis, I'm just pointing out that the logic is wrong)
Share 49ersWebzone