LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 185 users in the forums

Worst Draft Pick Ever

Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by smileyman:

I know who i'd say was the worst draft pick ever. But not trying to hijack the thread plus the comments i'd receive wouldn't look at the whole picture so why bother.

I'd say this is a topic that's perfect for it.

Who do you think is the worst draft pick in the 49ers history?

Let's just say a guy who essentially cost us the #15 pick, the 37th pick and the 68th pick.

That's right one guy we drafted was basically a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. But no one wants to see it like that!

Because i'm going to bed. I'll explain 1 more time and 1 time only. Denver wanted our #6 pick. They offered their #15 and #22 pick. We declined and countered with our #37 and #68 for the #22.

So instead of the #15, #22 (Manny Lawson), #37 and #68. We ended up with Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson.

Which means Davis essentially cost us the #15, #37 & #68. a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. All for a TE.

I know I will hear this and that for saying this. But it's the truth. Assuming the rumors that Denver did offer this is true. Which we can't deny or confirm. But the rumors were there.

You can spin it all you want. But a TE is not worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

This VD talk is starting to look more and more like delusions.

As for Frank Gore, I was ecstatic that we drafted him...a 3rd round pick on a RB from the U is always great value. Moreover, many people had Frank as a potential 1st or 2nd rounder had he stayed in college for one more year. He was forced to leave for financial reasons.
I am going to with R. Woods. That guy didn't really even see the field to suck. He was a bust immediately.
  • krizay
  • Veteran

[ Edited by krizay on Feb 24, 2010 at 22:47:07 ]
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Because i'm going to bed. I'll explain 1 more time and 1 time only. Denver wanted our #6 pick. They offered their #15 and #22 pick. We declined and countered with our #37 and #68 for the #22.

So instead of the #15, #22 (Manny Lawson), #37 and #68. We ended up with Vernon Davis and Manny Lawson.

Which means Davis essentially cost us the #15, #37 & #68. a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick. All for a TE.

I know I will hear this and that for saying this. But it's the truth. Assuming the rumors that Denver did offer this is true. Which we can't deny or confirm. But the rumors were there.

You can spin it all you want. But a TE is not worth a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick.

I can see why you'd think that way. The real question though is this--who was there at #15 that we would've wanted instead?
  • krizay
  • Veteran

I can see why you'd think that way. The real question though is this--who was there at #15 that we would've wanted instead?

Does that really matter? let us trade the #13 and #16/17 for Eric Berry. Then trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move back into the 1st for an OT. Or trade a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks for ANY PLAYER in the league (both scenarios same as the Vernon scenario) . And see how many posters s**t frisbees!

[ Edited by krizay on Feb 24, 2010 at 23:02:54 ]

I agree, this scenario would have been better, IF you are a good talent evaluator and drafter. Certainly these 3 picks below theoretically would have been better:
#15: Antonio Cromartie (all pro CB)
#37: Marcus McNeil (all pro OT), or Colledge, or Harper, etc
#68: Greg Jennings WR, or Devin Hester, or Maurice Jones-Drew, Tony Scheffler, etc.

But they probably would have drafted bums, so who knows?
  • smileyman
  • Info N/A

Does that really matter? let us trade the #13 and #16/17 for Eric Berry. Then trade our 2nd and 3rd round pick to move back into the 1st for an OT. Or trade a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round picks for ANY PLAYER in the league (both scenarios same as the Vernon scenario) . And see how many posters s**t frisbees!

Well most people in 49er land seem to be happy with the idea of trading up to get Berry. I only want to do it if he falls to #5 or later because that would just take a 1st and 2nd and we could then try to move our 1b back and pick up another second. No way would I do two firsts for him, or even a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
Having checked on the meaning of the word worst, it clearly cannot include any starters, like Davis or Smith.

Whilst Woods may be in with a shot, how about the overall first pick wr spent securing the services of a broken down OJ Simpson?
Getting back to this topic, here are some other names besides Israel Ifyeani:

1. QB Jim Drukenmiller (Niners were enamored with him because he can pull a station wagon with his back. Too bad he threw like one)
2. ILB Keith DeLong (Never got healthy enough to get on the field. Seifert's mistake after Walsh retired)
3. OLB Todd Shell (the players nicknamed him 'crystal' because he was always fragile when he got in a game)
4. CB Mike Rumph (never had the quickness who was appropriately nicknamed 'Rumph Roast')
5. OG Jeff Bregel (2nd round steroid induced player who always got injured)
6. RB Terrence Flagler (he always thought he was good enough to start over Roger Craig but his play says otherwise because always ran away to the sidelines)
7. TE Wesley Walls (2nd round) (actually turned out pretty good when he played for NO and Carolina. Reason why I put him here is he was a bust with us but came back to harm us every time we played him)
8. RB Ricky Moore (3rd round) (Only mentioned here because Walsh thought really hard about drafting Hershel Walker who was playing in the USFL here but decided against it and chose this guy was cut after a year because he was too fat. That was the year they picked Jerry Rice in the first round)
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Kwame Harris, Todd "TKO" Kelly

• PlayAction
  • Info N/A
NFL career of Rashaun Woods
Woods had 7 catches for 160 yards and 1 touchdown in his rookie season (2004) and spent the 2005 season on injured reserve with torn ligaments in his thumb. In April 2006, he was traded to the San Diego Chargers for cornerback Sammy Davis. In August 2006, he was cut from the San Diego Chargers. On August 3rd 2006 he was claimed off waivers by the Denver Broncos but failed his physical and was released. In Dec. of 2006 he worked out with the Minnesota Vikings [1]

[edit] NFL Europa
In 2007, the Hamburg Sea Devils selected Woods in the 5th round of the NFL Europa free agent draft.

[edit] CFL career
On July 23, 2007, Woods signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. He was released by the Toronto Argonauts on August 8, 2007. He was signed by the Hamilton Tiger Cats on October 4, 2007. On June 22nd 2008 Woods was 1 of 14 players to be cut from the Hamilton Tiger Cats final roster.

Niners dropped down twice in 1st round to take Woods at #31 when we could have drafted...Vince Wilfork at #21?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft#Round_one

ps..even when we traded Woods we got the wrong Sammi Davis........lol
Originally posted by PlayAction:
NFL career of Rashaun Woods
Woods had 7 catches for 160 yards and 1 touchdown in his rookie season (2004) and spent the 2005 season on injured reserve with torn ligaments in his thumb. In April 2006, he was traded to the San Diego Chargers for cornerback Sammy Davis. In August 2006, he was cut from the San Diego Chargers. On August 3rd 2006 he was claimed off waivers by the Denver Broncos but failed his physical and was released. In Dec. of 2006 he worked out with the Minnesota Vikings [1]

[edit] NFL Europa
In 2007, the Hamburg Sea Devils selected Woods in the 5th round of the NFL Europa free agent draft.

[edit] CFL career
On July 23, 2007, Woods signed with the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League. He was released by the Toronto Argonauts on August 8, 2007. He was signed by the Hamilton Tiger Cats on October 4, 2007. On June 22nd 2008 Woods was 1 of 14 players to be cut from the Hamilton Tiger Cats final roster.

Niners dropped down twice in 1st round to take Woods at #31 when we could have drafted...Vince Wilfork at #21?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_Draft#Round_one

ps..even when we traded Woods we got the wrong Sammi Davis........lol

I was more than certain we were gonna take Wilfork.

Jesus F*cking Christ!

Those hypothetical situations are not the same as the Vernon scenario!! How does this logic make sense to you?

Whether or not the Broncos wanted to trade with us doesn't matter, because it didn't happen, and we don't even know if it's true. We were 4-12, giving us the 6th pick in the draft. We spent that pick on Vernon.

He cost us a single pick. All this bulls**t about "We spent 3 picks on Vernon" is so f**king retarded and makes absolutely no sense.

F*CK!!!
Worst draft pick ever? Not going there because who really knows. But i'm sure i'm not alone in saying the worst pick ever (in terms of present time drafting) had to be Frank Gore. We went with a RB with 2 knee Surgeries in the 3rd round? I was like WTF. I remember sitting on the toilet when my buddy told me who we picked. I flushed the toilet and was like well there goes that pick. Luckily I was wrong. But i'm sure i'm not alone in thinking that was a HORRIBLE pick at the time.

I know who i'd say was the worst draft pick ever. But not trying to hijack the thread plus the comments i'd receive wouldn't look at the whole picture so why bother.

agreed. The worst picks in recent history had jerseys with 2 same digits (i.e. 77 or 11). Not trying to hijak the thread. Just saying...
For some of you kiddies out there, how about Jeff Bregel, the original 49ers workout warrior. 2nd round pick I believe and never made it. How about Keith DeLong.
Share 49ersWebzone