There are 176 users in the forums

Mav's Pre-Combine Mock v1.3

I don't mind passing on Spiller if we:

A. Draft Gilyard or another explosive return man that I've seen on TV or heard of. I'm tired of this played out philosophy that you can find a good return man in the 6th round. In college football, if you're good at returning kicks, you're probably good at being a RB/WR/DB as well. That's the trend in the NFL now too. If you're good in space, you need to be on the field.

B. Draft another RB at some point in the draft. I don't think anyone is sold on Coffee are they? If Gore misses a few games, we need a good RB who can carry the load. More than that, we need a good 2nd RB to spell Gore and keep him fresh to AVOID injury if we're serious about making a playoff run.

But this is exactly why I think a good 2nd RB who can also be a good return man is an area of NEED, not luxury...CJ Spiller fits our NEEDS.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Originally posted by noobie:
Originally posted by elguapo:
spiller will be gone by 16 or 17, i would rather take a good OT and a great pr/kr and great rb than a very good OT and ???? at 16 or 17. This way we get a good OT and a great need filled return man not to mention the best rb in the draft. The only problem is we got coffee last year with a 3rd, so i hope we don't shy away from a rb like spiller to take the 2nd rb spot from a high pick last year.

Read that like 4 times and I couldn't tell what you wanted or meant.

Spiller could be there at 16/17. Only team I see possibly taking spiller is Seattle. If we pass on Spiller at 13 for the best OT he probably wont be taken by the Giants or Tennessee.

That was exactly my thought. I really feel there's a good chance Spiller could be waiting at 16/17. But, let's say Seattle does take Spiller. Maybe a B. Graham or trade back could fit the bill? In any event, OT's are a premium in the draft and letting an elite OT pass by at 13 would be a huge mistake IMO.

Seattle needs an OT almost worse than we do. If Seattle doesn't get their OT at #6 and we're sitting at #13 with Bulaga, Spiller and Iupati on the board, and we take Bulaga, I wouldn't be shocked in Seattle took Iupati over Spiller strictly out of need.

And this is the part that leaves me scratching my head. Alot of people on here has every GM and their sister passing on Spiller despite them needing a RB greater than us. But we have to have this DO IT ALL STUD despite Frank Gore. If this guys is such a MUST DRAFT! Why are teams in need of a RB passing on him?

I just don't get it around here someimes. Zoners see speed and go Coo Coo For Co Co Puffs!

We do have one of the slowest football teams in the NFL. I mean it's pretty bad when your TE is your fastest playermaker.

What separates us from other teams is we actually have the oppurtunity to draft that lineman we desperately need a couple of picks later. BTW what team that desperately needs a running back is passing on him other than Seattle? Cleveland found their running attack with Harrison and Cribbs, Oakland is set, Buffalo is set, Jacksonville is set, Miami is set, Denver just picked a HB in the 1st last year, Giants are set, and Ten is set. Sure there's a couple of teams in the top 5, but Spiller's not a top 5 kind of player, and very few backs are for that matter.

None of this changes the fact that most if not all of those teams you named has a greater need at RB than us. Why is he not good enough for them because of needs else where. But perfect for us despite needs elsewhere?

Having 2 1st round picks doesn't mean we're in a position to make a luxury pick.

With that said, if we nail the 2nd and 3rd round picks A Spiller selection COULD work. Still wouldn't like it. But it could work if we get more than adequate starters in the 2nd and 3rd.

But with 2 1st round picks we need to come away with 2 more than adequate starters Period!

Who are you leaning towards with our 2 picks?

Man I have flipped flopped like a mofo with ALL of our picks. I have no idea what the hell I want anymore.

1 draft I do like that won't happen would be to trade our 13th and whatever to move up from 13th to 7thish if Bradford is still there. Then take an OT at 16/17. But again, not likely to happen. Staying put I'm leaning towards Graham/OT or OT/ Earl Thomas. I'm sure i'll change my mind another 99 times before the draft though.

Same here dude. I've been flip flopping like mad. At one point i was thinking to trade up for Eric Berry with the two 1st rounders.

As of now 1 of the 2 picks has to be an OT, as for the other im changing between the usual guys (Spiller, Thomas, Graham etc)

Now I have this idea of Graham/Thomas and HOPING for Jason Fox in the 2nd. Who should/may be there.

But Bradford, Graham or Thomas & Fox.

To trade up for Bradford at 7 what would we be giving up?

Not that I am against it, but do you really see the 49ers taking Bradford?

I mean our #13 and our 3rd this year and 3rd next year COULD get it done. Or Even #13, 3rd this year and 2nd next year.

Do I see this going down? Nope!

Another thing we could try to do is trade 13 and 17 for 5/6 and 37/38. We end up with 1 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders but for the right guy I wouldn't mind that.

It's amazing that we're not going to be aggressively looking for a QB. I can't believe how scared people are to move on.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Feb 16, 2010 at 19:01:40 ]
- Bulaga or Trent Williams would be ideal OT picks. I see Singletary getting his OT with the #13 pick...no sense taking any chances.

- Coach/Mac take BPA w/#16/17 pick. That could literally be Spiller, CB Warren, DL Odrick (those would be my choices)...any of 3-4 different positions would be on the table.

- If no CB in 1st rd, then Perrish Cox would be an excellent pick in 2nd rd. He's got very good all-around skills.

- 3rd rd, agree it's OG, but not Jerry. The pick is Alabama's Mike Johnson. Reason? He's more agile and quick on his feet than Jerry. Remember, OL Coach Solari plans to employ a good deal of zone blocking with his OL next season. That requires players who can move and do many things well...not really for maulers.

- 4th rd, if Coach takes DL in 1st, WR would be good pick here...someone like Blair White (Mich St.) would work.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by mavfd9er:
Originally posted by noobie:
Originally posted by elguapo:
spiller will be gone by 16 or 17, i would rather take a good OT and a great pr/kr and great rb than a very good OT and ???? at 16 or 17. This way we get a good OT and a great need filled return man not to mention the best rb in the draft. The only problem is we got coffee last year with a 3rd, so i hope we don't shy away from a rb like spiller to take the 2nd rb spot from a high pick last year.

Read that like 4 times and I couldn't tell what you wanted or meant.

Spiller could be there at 16/17. Only team I see possibly taking spiller is Seattle. If we pass on Spiller at 13 for the best OT he probably wont be taken by the Giants or Tennessee.

That was exactly my thought. I really feel there's a good chance Spiller could be waiting at 16/17. But, let's say Seattle does take Spiller. Maybe a B. Graham or trade back could fit the bill? In any event, OT's are a premium in the draft and letting an elite OT pass by at 13 would be a huge mistake IMO.

Seattle needs an OT almost worse than we do. If Seattle doesn't get their OT at #6 and we're sitting at #13 with Bulaga, Spiller and Iupati on the board, and we take Bulaga, I wouldn't be shocked in Seattle took Iupati over Spiller strictly out of need.

And this is the part that leaves me scratching my head. Alot of people on here has every GM and their sister passing on Spiller despite them needing a RB greater than us. But we have to have this DO IT ALL STUD despite Frank Gore. If this guys is such a MUST DRAFT! Why are teams in need of a RB passing on him?

I just don't get it around here someimes. Zoners see speed and go Coo Coo For Co Co Puffs!

We do have one of the slowest football teams in the NFL. I mean it's pretty bad when your TE is your fastest playermaker.

What separates us from other teams is we actually have the oppurtunity to draft that lineman we desperately need a couple of picks later. BTW what team that desperately needs a running back is passing on him other than Seattle? Cleveland found their running attack with Harrison and Cribbs, Oakland is set, Buffalo is set, Jacksonville is set, Miami is set, Denver just picked a HB in the 1st last year, Giants are set, and Ten is set. Sure there's a couple of teams in the top 5, but Spiller's not a top 5 kind of player, and very few backs are for that matter.

None of this changes the fact that most if not all of those teams you named has a greater need at RB than us. Why is he not good enough for them because of needs else where. But perfect for us despite needs elsewhere?

Having 2 1st round picks doesn't mean we're in a position to make a luxury pick.

With that said, if we nail the 2nd and 3rd round picks A Spiller selection COULD work. Still wouldn't like it. But it could work if we get more than adequate starters in the 2nd and 3rd.

But with 2 1st round picks we need to come away with 2 more than adequate starters Period!

Who are you leaning towards with our 2 picks?

Man I have flipped flopped like a mofo with ALL of our picks. I have no idea what the hell I want anymore.

1 draft I do like that won't happen would be to trade our 13th and whatever to move up from 13th to 7thish if Bradford is still there. Then take an OT at 16/17. But again, not likely to happen. Staying put I'm leaning towards Graham/OT or OT/ Earl Thomas. I'm sure i'll change my mind another 99 times before the draft though.

Same here dude. I've been flip flopping like mad. At one point i was thinking to trade up for Eric Berry with the two 1st rounders.

As of now 1 of the 2 picks has to be an OT, as for the other im changing between the usual guys (Spiller, Thomas, Graham etc)

Now I have this idea of Graham/Thomas and HOPING for Jason Fox in the 2nd. Who should/may be there.

But Bradford, Graham or Thomas & Fox.

To trade up for Bradford at 7 what would we be giving up?

Not that I am against it, but do you really see the 49ers taking Bradford?

I mean our #13 and our 3rd this year and 3rd next year COULD get it done. Or Even #13, 3rd this year and 2nd next year.

Do I see this going down? Nope!

Another thing we could try to do is trade 13 and 17 for 5/6 and 37/38. We end up with 1 1st rounder and 2 2nd rounders but for the right guy I wouldn't mind that.

It's amazing that we're not going to be aggressively looking for a QB. I can't believe how scared people are to move on.

I for one could live with that.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
- Bulaga or Trent Williams would be ideal OT picks. I see Singletary getting his OT with the #13 pick...no sense taking any chances.

- Coach/Mac take BPA w/#16/17 pick. That could literally be Spiller, CB Warren, DL Odrick (those would be my choices)...any of 3-4 different positions would be on the table.

- If no CB in 1st rd, then Perrish Cox would be an excellent pick in 2nd rd. He's got very good all-around skills.

- 3rd rd, agree it's OG, but not Jerry. The pick is Alabama's Mike Johnson. Reason? He's more agile and quick on his feet than Jerry. Remember, OL Coach Solari plans to employ a good deal of zone blocking with his OL next season. That requires players who can move and do many things well...not really for maulers.

- 4th rd, if Coach takes DL in 1st, WR would be good pick here...someone like Blair White (Mich St.) would work.

I agree with your reasoning for Mike Johnson and I would definatly prefer him over Jerry. But do you think he'll be there at the middle of the 3rd round? Perrish Cox is a nice pick but I chose to go the Safety route because getting Roman off the 53 roster is a definate priority. I'd also like to add Earl Thomas to your list of potiental 16/17 guys. Nice picks and thanks for the input.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
just to let you guys know i go on a website where all fans come together and talk about the draft the seahwks dont seem to intrested in spiller they seem to want Brian Price Morgan or another DE at 14 while taking a OT or BPA with the first pick

what website?
Waiting 'til 3rd rd for Mike Johnson could be a gamble...I've seen some of the better OG's there in a lot of mocks, but I wouldn't take that to the bank. Given OL is Singletary's highest off-season priority, he might want to pull the trigger in the 2nd rd. If he has his OT, an impact defensive player and his OG heading into the 3rd rd, I think Coach would be smiling...broadly.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Waiting 'til 3rd rd for Mike Johnson could be a gamble...I've seen some of the better OG's there in a lot of mocks, but I wouldn't take that to the bank. Given OL is Singletary's highest off-season priority, he might want to pull the trigger in the 2nd rd. If he has his OT, an impact defensive player and his OG heading into the 3rd rd, I think Coach would be smiling...broadly.

I really do think we could be a starting caliber guard in the 3rd. But it wouldn't surprise me if they went OG in the 2nd because of need. This is such a hard draft to mock because there's so many different ways they could take it.
Share 49ersWebzone