McShay's new Mock

Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by susweel:
Dont like it, we need a real RT in the first round. No more of these tweener type of players.

cosigned. Too high to take Iupati IMO. Not a huge fan honestly.

After one game he's fallen out of favor with so many. It's just plain silly.

For others that have seen him play over the course of the year, and watched him easily be the most dominant lineman in practices-- and that includes against Brandon Graham, whom everybody loves, it's clear he's a special player.

Busts have had great Senior Bowls, and good players have had very poor Senior Bowls. I'll take what I have consistently seen in Iupati over an entire season and an entire week of practice over a single game -- a game where he was moved all over the place, to add.

I've been making the same exact argument in the "Selecting 2 O-linemen" thread. I agree completely, but don't let it get to you OTC. That's all webzone talk, we should be used to it by now. If I remember correctly, no one really talked about selecting Brandon Graham in the 1st until the Senior Bowl. After his performance, "he's a must in the 1st". I just don't get some people sometimes.

After seeing Graham play a lot I've wanted him since middle of the college season. He's going to be a f**king beast whether he has the super measurables or not, just cuz he wasn't on all of yours draft radar in the 1st until then doesn't mean he wasn't on mine! I always knew he was going to be a beast. I'm sure of it. The guy made plays in games through double and tripple teams. He's a beast. BEAST.

I've been a huge fan of Graham's since last season. He has reminded me a lot of Lamar Woodley and I was a big supporter in drafting him as well. The only reason why I never had Graham listed in my 1st round radar was because of his size. I felt like he might get the Woodley treatment and drop to the 2nd. Teams who run the 3-4 are a little hesitant to draft a DE from college and have them transition. They have to be very careful (see Jets and Gholston). Things might be different after a great Senior Bowl and his Combine later this month, but he's still a late 1st early 2nd rounder at this point. I see a 4-3 team taking him like the Bengals maybe.

Dude like 95% of all 3-4 OLBs were college DEs? There's maybe 5 teams in the NCAA that run a 3-4. Case in point look at ours Lawson and Harrelson were both DEs. Gholston was just a monumental bust.

Which makes it even more difficult for teams to really judge these college ends. They would have to learn how to drop back and cover instead of just focusing to rush the QB. Woodley has been good and Ware has been incredible. It also looks like Orakpo could be great but he also played some outside linebacker at Texas. Aaron Kampman couldn't make the transition last season, Kamerion Wimbley hasn't made a great transition either, Lawson and Haralson aren't the pass rushing terrors that we had hoped but are serviceable.

I'm not saying Graham wouldn't be good standing up in a 3-4, I'm just saying that teams running a 3-4 are going to be a little more reluctant to take an end in the 1st round and have them learn a new position. When they interviewed Graham at the Senior Bowl, he said it himself that he would prefer to play end in the pros.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Dont like it, we need a real RT in the first round. No more of these tweener type of players.

For others that have seen him play over the course of the year, and watched him easily be the most dominant lineman in practices-- and that includes against Brandon Graham, whom everybody loves, it's clear he's a special player.

Busts have had great Senior Bowls, and good players have had very poor Senior Bowls. I'll take what I have consistently seen in Iupati over an entire season and an entire week of practice over a single game -- a game where he was moved all over the place, to add.

I've been making the same exact argument in the "Selecting 2 O-linemen" thread. I agree completely, but don't let it get to you OTC. That's all webzone talk, we should be used to it by now. If I remember correctly, no one really talked about selecting Brandon Graham in the 1st until the Senior Bowl. After his performance, "he's a must in the 1st". I just don't get some people sometimes.

After seeing Graham play a lot I've wanted him since middle of the college season. He's going to be a f**king beast whether he has the super measurables or not, just cuz he wasn't on all of yours draft radar in the 1st until then doesn't mean he wasn't on mine! I always knew he was going to be a beast. I'm sure of it. The guy made plays in games through double and tripple teams. He's a beast. BEAST.

I've been a huge fan of Graham's since last season. He has reminded me a lot of Lamar Woodley and I was a big supporter in drafting him as well. The only reason why I never had Graham listed in my 1st round radar was because of his size. I felt like he might get the Woodley treatment and drop to the 2nd. Teams who run the 3-4 are a little hesitant to draft a DE from college and have them transition. They have to be very careful (see Jets and Gholston). Things might be different after a great Senior Bowl and his Combine later this month, but he's still a late 1st early 2nd rounder at this point. I see a 4-3 team taking him like the Bengals maybe.

Dude like 95% of all 3-4 OLBs were college DEs? There's maybe 5 teams in the NCAA that run a 3-4. Case in point look at ours Lawson and Harrelson were both DEs. Gholston was just a monumental bust.

Which makes it even more difficult for teams to really judge these college ends. They would have to learn how to drop back and cover instead of just focusing to rush the QB. Woodley has been good and Ware has been incredible. It also looks like Orakpo could be great but he also played some outside linebacker at Texas. Aaron Kampman couldn't make the transition last season, Kamerion Wimbley hasn't made a great transition either, Lawson and Haralson aren't the pass rushing terrors that we had hoped but are serviceable.

I'm not saying Graham wouldn't be good standing up in a 3-4, I'm just saying that teams running a 3-4 are going to be a little more reluctant to take an end in the 1st round and have them learn a new position. When they interviewed Graham at the Senior Bowl, he said it himself that he would prefer to play end in the pros.

I disagree. It just comes down to some players turn out good and others not so much, the position doesn't matter. Again, 95% of good PR OLBs in a 3-4 were DEs in college, look at Pitt and Dallas the 2 best PR 3-4 teams, all those dudes were DEs in college. Kampman is a poor example because he's been playing DE as a pro his whole career, that's more difficult to change than coming right out of college. Now I'm not saying Graham would be ideal, just that teams are absolutely not hesitant to draft and convert because if they want the position there isn't much choice due to the lack of 3-4 teams in college.

I disagree. It just comes down to some players turn out good and others not so much, the position doesn't matter. Again, 95% of good PR OLBs in a 3-4 were DEs in college, look at Pitt and Dallas the 2 best PR 3-4 teams, all those dudes were DEs in college. Kampman is a poor example because he's been playing DE as a pro his whole career, that's more difficult to change than coming right out of college. Now I'm not saying Graham would be ideal, just that teams are absolutely not hesitant to draft and convert because if they want the position there isn't much choice due to the lack of 3-4 teams in college.

Let's take a look at last year's draft for example: Orakpo, Ayers, and English were the only ends taken in the 1st round last year that were expected to make the move to linebacker. Orakpo had most of the success since he has a history of playing some linebacker. In 2008, there was only Gholston. Now I agree with you completely that it's pretty much hit or miss with end prospects coming in to play OLB in a 3-4, but my main argument is that the value of an end to transition to OLB has gone down to probably the 2nd round.
I like McShay's draft analysis but his mocks are a little out there.

I take this back. I thought it said Mayock and not McShay. I'm actually not that big of a fan of McShay's
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Rookies are a poor example, they rarely contribute right away, especially playing a new position. Ayers played only in the nickel, likely would have played more if Dumervil hadn't exploded. English didn't start, but flashed when he did play, he was drafted to replace Merriman this year. In fact pass rushers in general take about 3 years to develop.

I watch every Horns game, Orakpo played next to no LB in college, the combine was where he showed he could, but in college he played down almost exclusively, as has Kindle. You watch, there are more 3-4 teams that ever and you'll see many DEs in the next few years in the 1st being converted. In the past you could draft them later because there wasn't as much competition, not any more.
Rookies are a poor example, they rarely contribute right away, especially playing a new position. Ayers played only in the nickel, likely would have played more if Dumervil hadn't exploded. English didn't start, but flashed when he did play, he was drafted to replace Merriman this year. In fact pass rushers in general take about 3 years to develop.

I watch every Horns game, Orakpo played next to no LB in college, the combine was where he showed he could, but in college he played down almost exclusively, as has Kindle. You watch, there are more 3-4 teams that ever and you'll see many DEs in the next few years in the 1st being converted. In the past you could draft them later because there wasn't as much competition, not any more.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. I did watch some Horns games, not a lot like you, but I did catch plays with Orakpo standing up. The same goes with Kindle.
  • TX9R
  • Veteran

I guess we can just agree to disagree. I did watch some Horns games, not a lot like you, but I did catch plays with Orakpo standing up. The same goes with Kindle.

They stand up, but generally to rush the passer. Almost never put in coverage other than the occasional zone blitz, but Muschamp is smart enough to know you rush with your best guys. 10 years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you, but now half the league is running a 3-4. Supply and demand is forcing teams to take these guys earlier.

They stand up, but generally to rush the passer. Almost never put in coverage other than the occasional zone blitz, but Muschamp is smart enough to know you rush with your best guys. 10 years ago I would have absolutely agreed with you, but now half the league is running a 3-4. Supply and demand is forcing teams to take these guys earlier.

I guess it all really depends on the combine later this month to see whether or not these hybrids can play the linebacker position. I may be taking in account all over the other rankings or mocks that i've seen that have hybrids like Graham and Hughes being available later in the 1st and 2nd round.

I guess it all really depends on the combine later this month to see whether or not these hybrids can play the linebacker position. I may be taking in account all over the other rankings or mocks that i've seen that have hybrids like Graham and Hughes being available later in the 1st and 2nd round.

You know, I was thinking the same thing until I saw just how many 3-4 teams before the end of the first: Pitt, NE, GB, Bal, AZ, Dal, SD, and NYJ. Eight! Holy crap!

Graham will be the #1 WILL prospect, IMO so I expect him to go shortly before us, to us or shortly after us if we don't choose him. Then who? Kindle, Hughes, and Sapp? Heck, all four of those could go in the first. Then there is a drop off after that, IMO so I expect someone like NE, GB, AZ, and NYJ, maybe SD, to go after these four as they have DE/OLB needs at the top of their lists.

Because this draft if full of good quality between the mid first and the end of the second with DTs, DE/OLBs, and secondary prospects, we should be able to land one of these positions in the second for sure.

As for the first, it will be interesting to watch it develop from a DE/OLB stand point.
Originally posted by ninertico:

You know, I was thinking the same thing until I saw just how many 3-4 teams before the end of the first: Pitt, NE, GB, Bal, AZ, Dal, SD, and NYJ. Eight! Holy crap!

Graham will be the #1 WILL prospect, IMO so I expect him to go shortly before us, to us or shortly after us if we don't choose him. Then who? Kindle, Hughes, and Sapp? Heck, all four of those could go in the first. Then there is a drop off after that, IMO so I expect someone like NE, GB, AZ, and NYJ, maybe SD, to go after these four as they have DE/OLB needs at the top of their lists.

Because this draft if full of good quality between the mid first and the end of the second with DTs, DE/OLBs, and secondary prospects, we should be able to land one of these positions in the second for sure.

As for the first, it will be interesting to watch it develop from a DE/OLB stand point.

I don't think the Chargers draft one in the 1st considering they got English last year and they still have Phillips. GB could be losing Kampman and would want a bookend talent across from Matthews unless they see an OT worth taking. The Pats are up in the air whether they need a corner, safety, end, or pass rusher. AZ could be looking at another OT too just because Gandy was garbage for them. I can see the Jets taking one just because Rex Ryan has stated this already. Graham or Hughes could be going there. I really don't see us drafting one maybe unless they're available for us in the 2nd. I would much rather use our 2nd on Kyle Wilson.

I don't think the Chargers draft one in the 1st considering they got English last year and they still have Phillips. GB could be losing Kampman and would want a bookend talent across from Matthews unless they see an OT worth taking. The Pats are up in the air whether they need a corner, safety, end, or pass rusher. AZ could be looking at another OT too just because Gandy was garbage for them. I can see the Jets taking one just because Rex Ryan has stated this already. Graham or Hughes could be going there. I really don't see us drafting one maybe unless they're available for us in the 2nd. I would much rather use our 2nd on Kyle Wilson.

I thought about SD, too and yes they drafted English, but isn't Merimann a FA this year? I don't think he will be back if that is the case. If he goes, I can see SD grabbing one.

If one of the OTs like Williams or Campbell even Iupati falls, then I can see AZ and GB going the route of OT. If not, I see them going after a nice WILL prospect especially in Graham.

What if we went Spiller and Graham? I would love it as much as I want a RT in the first, but what if they are gone?

Oh the uproar! No RT in the first.

[ Edited by ninertico on Feb 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM ]

I thought about SD, too and yes they drafted English, but isn't Merimann a FA this year? I don't think he will be back if that is the case. If he goes, I can see SD grabbing one.

If one of the OTs like Williams or Campbell even Iupati falls, then I can see AZ and GB going the route of OT. If not, I see them going after a nice WILL prospect especially in Graham.

What if we went Spiller and Graham? I would love it as much as I want a RT in the first, but what if they are gone?

Oh the uproar! No RT in the first.

This draft is so unpredictable and exciting just because we have no idea who is going where. I think it's pretty much a given that we select an o-lineman with one of our picks. But man, I would be happy if we got Spiller.
Just absurd draft. Seattle passing on Clausen? #! Gerald McCoy? 4-5-6 OTs? As well, I cannot see Tampa Bay taking JPP (aka their "new" Gaines Adams R.I.P)? They made the mistake of taking a DE who is a non factor in the run at #4 in 2007 and JPP looks to be a similair style (athletic freak!!! one-year wonder??) as Adams. Anyway, I want what you are smoking dude cuz this draft is wack!
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
4 OT's within the first 8 picks? Come on McShay you can do better than that

It only takes one or two teams to start a rush on a certain position.

Come on, some team like Washington or Detroit takes Russell Okung than all of a sudden everyone is scrambling for OT's? No way. 4 OT's in the top 8 is ridiculous. Just too many other good players for that to happen.

I've seen it happen too many times. Granted, most of the times, the run is on skill players but if the OT's are rated high, anything can happen!
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
4 OT's within the first 8 picks? Come on McShay you can do better than that

It only takes one or two teams to start a rush on a certain position.

Come on, some team like Washington or Detroit takes Russell Okung than all of a sudden everyone is scrambling for OT's? No way. 4 OT's in the top 8 is ridiculous. Just too many other good players for that to happen.

I've seen it happen too many times. Granted, most of the times, the run is on skill players but if the OT's are rated high, anything can happen!

I think there could be 6 OT's take in round 1 overall, but not 4 out of the first 8. That's just ridiculous.
Share 49ersWebzone