LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 264 users in the forums

Ultimate Draft

Originally posted by tbyrdc3:
After reading every mock draft we have to offer here. Do you think we can pull this off:

First pick: CJ spiller
Second pick : Trent Williams / or / Bryan Bulaga

Trade up in the early 20's: Trade this years 3rd and next years 1st
and take Mike Lupati
Then in the second round eithor take a FS, SS or even try to do what we did last year and trade it for a 2011 first round pick again.

Championship!!!!

If we could somehow manage to sign Mankins in FA that would be a dream offseason.
I was actually thinking along those same lines last week. I was tinkering with trade ideas in order to a) trade up to get Iupati, on top of Spiller and an OT/Graham, or b) trade some picks to get another first rounder for next year (which could put us in a good position to get a top quarterback, or just good players). This is what I came up with...

Give: 2010 2nd + 2011 2nd
Receive: Patriots 2010 1st (24)
Potential: 13 – Spiller, 17 – Best OT, 24 – Iupati
More: It makes sense to trade with the Patriots as they have demonstrated to find good value all over the board. More picks for them (at less cost) could be something they’d be open to.

Give: 2010 2nd + 2011 2nd
Receive: Patriots 2011 1st (17-26ish)
Potential: 13 – Spiller/Best OT, 17 - Best OT/Iupati
More: New England has Oakland’s 2011 first round pick, which should net them another top 10 pick. This will free them up to potentially trade back and acquire more picks in the 2nd.

Give: 2010 1st (13)
Receive: Patriots 2011 1st (Oakland's?)
Potential: 17 – Best OT
More: Doesn't pay off immediate dividends, but if the Patriots are absolutely in love with a particular player (Spiller, Bryant, OT, NT), maybe they'd be willing to trade their 2011 Oakland pick straight up? At worst, Oakland's pick next year should be 15 or lower.

Give: 2010 1st (#17)
Receive: Carolinas 2011 1st (12-24) + 2010 2nd (#48)
Potential: 13 – Best OT, 48 & 49 – any combination of J. Best, J. Hughes, M. Gilyard, V. Ducasse, L. Houston, G. Tate, K. Chancellor, etc.
More: Carolina, although coming on strong late in the year, may look to acquire their 1st back depending on who might be available. If, by some chance, Bradford, Clausen or another player of great value to Carolina fall, they might be a good fit for a trade. Getting their pick back will come at a cost, however.

The only problem I see with the Patriots is that they already have 3 2nd rounders THIS year alone. A fourth might be pushing it, though they could probably just trade back into the 1st. Anyway, just stuff to think about.
Originally posted by mayo63:
I'd love to have Spiller, but a Bulaga/Williams and then Graham combination would be better.

If we don't get Spiller that is the combo I want in the 1st round.
Maybe if we draft Iupati, everyone will start spelling his name right, realizing it doesn't start with an "L."
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Feb 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Maybe if we draft Iupati, everyone will start spelling his name right, realizing it doesn't start with an "L."

I seriously doubt it.
Trading away next year's 1st rounder for a guard when we don't have a QB. This right here takes the cake in bad ideas.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Trading away next year's 1st rounder for a guard when we don't have a QB. This right here takes the cake in bad ideas.

EXACTLY! I would never ever trade a future first round pick for an offensive guard even if we did have a QB. Trading away first round picks is bad business. Ask the Carolina Panthers.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

EXACTLY! I would never ever trade a future first round pick for an offensive guard even if we did have a QB. Trading away first round picks is bad business. Ask the Carolina Panthers.

A dominant LG like Iupati is worth a future 1st round pick. I don't understand how you can question the value of one of the highest paid positions.

Trading away future 1st round picks isn't a bad idea when your getting one upfront in return. Especially if your looking like the division favorites, it will most likley be a late pick that's given up.

Basically we get a pro bowl guard on the front.
[ Edited by GMniner805 on Feb 9, 2010 at 11:06 PM ]
I will punch someone in the throat if we trade away a first round pick for a guard.

With any luck, we can use this draft to fill a lot of needs and see how Alex Smith develops with a consistent offense in the offseason. If he's the QB of the future, great. If not, then let's use our first-round pick next year to draft the QB we need, beyond a team without a lot of holes.

The plan outlined in this thread is a plan to get us to--what? 10-6 and one-and-out in the playoffs while sacrificing any attempt to improve beyond that next year? Forget that nonsense.
I agree, we need to keep our first next year just in case the looming QB-pocalypse is realized.

I'd rather see us trade later picks to move back into the 2nd round and end up with some combination of:

OT + Graham/Spiller in the 1st

DB + OG/dynamic return man in the 2nd

Given how deep the second round is and the fact that, as a team, we need playmakers more than depth this seems like a good value proposition. Anyone know what it would take to move back into the middle of the 2nd round?

Originally posted by GMniner805:

A dominant LG like Iupati is worth a future 1st round pick. I don't understand how you can question the value of one of the highest paid positions.

Trading away future 1st round picks isn't a bad idea when your getting one upfront in return. Especially if your looking like the division favorites, it will most likley be a late pick that's given up.

I seriously doubt that OG is one of the highest paid postions. In fact, I would say for sure they are near the bottom along with TE's. OT's are where the money is - especially LT.

As far as trading a future #1 to get a dominant guard... there may be a few times when it could make some sense. For example, if you had a great QB with terrific skill players and just needed that one spot filled to put you over the top then it could make sense. That certainly isnt the case for the Niners. ALso, there are OG's that can be picked in rounds 2-3 that look to be very good.

I would just hate it if the Niners didnt have a #1 pick next year and ended up with a top 7-8 pick with a chance to get a franchise QB. It isnt worth it.

I seriously doubt that OG is one of the highest paid postions. In fact, I would say for sure they are near the bottom along with TE's. OT's are where the money is - especially LT.

As far as trading a future #1 to get a dominant guard... there may be a few times when it could make some sense. For example, if you had a great QB with terrific skill players and just needed that one spot filled to put you over the top then it could make sense. That certainly isnt the case for the Niners. ALso, there are OG's that can be picked in rounds 2-3 that look to be very good.

I would just hate it if the Niners didnt have a #1 pick next year and ended up with a top 7-8 pick with a chance to get a franchise QB. It isnt worth it.

Not to mention we'd have to PAY 3 first round picks. NO THANKS!
Second pick : Terrence "Mount" Cody

One of the most valueable positions. That's laughable. Here's the value of interior lineman. Should we pass on Iupati in the 1st that's the only interior lineman we're passing on. We can wait to our 2nd round pick and take Pouncey whose a much more proven prospect than Iupati. On average 2 interior lineman go in the 2 rounds each year. So even in round 3 we're still looking top 5 prospects at G/C.

The only reason why we're looking like division favorites is because we're in the worse division in football by a mile. The reality is we're not a good football team and we're only a couple of bad breaks from going 4-12 next season.
Originally posted by TlSSER:
Second pick : Terrence "Mount" Cody

NO, that is all
Share 49ersWebzone