LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 237 users in the forums

49ers mock/targets rds 1-4

Earl Thomas???? I just cant see him as an NFL player.

He's going to face qb's that wont be firing the ball right into his hands,

The running backs in the NFL will run over him time and time again if they get past the linebackers,

I dont see him at any position other than FS,

I dont see him as an upgrade over Dashon Goldson, who I want to keep at FS

I dont see him as a nickel corner,

He is a tough little man, but he reminds me of Bob Sanders who is always hurt-and Bob Sanders is a tough man

He may be first round talent, but not for the 49ers; our secondary would only be upgraded with a Joe Haden, a bigger corner, or a more versatile DB, like Arenas
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I will also throw out Jonathan Dwyer, RB, Georgia Tech as a possibility in the 2nd rd if he is available. At 6'0" 235pds he would give us the big, bruising back Singletary craves? Plus he could play some FB and we could have him and Gore in the backfield at the same time. Just throwing it out there....

I see PFW has us taking Jimmy Clausen. I seriously, seriously doubt he would fall that far but I would take him if im the 49ers but I wouldn't touch Sam Bradford with either of our 1st rd picks and I wouldn't touch Tebow at all, not even with our 3rd or 4th rd pick, maybe a 5th or 6th rd pick but obviously he will be gone by then.

I got a question for you guys, would you rather have Javier Arenas or Dexter McCluster in the 2nd rd?

Means we can finally get rid of Micheal robertson...

Who is Micheal robertson? Do you mean MichAEl RobINson? Do you really think that either of these guys would be that capable of doing what Robinson does on
special teams?

By the way, do you mean Michael Robertson who plays for Manly Warragag Sea Eagles of the Australian Rugby league. I wasn't aware that we had signed him.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Feb 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM ]
Qb in the 3rd, heck no how about Gilyard
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Choices, choices, choices......

I would add Brandon Graham to your first round list after his great Senior season plus his Senior Bowl performance.

The second round willl still be loaded with talent but I would narrow my focus to the CB/KR's in Arenas and Wilson or D. McCluster.

Apparently you are high on the idea of getting a QB in the 3rd round if McCoy, LeFavour or Snead is available. If they are there at that point, I wouldn't be pissed if we picked up a McCoy or Snead. I would add a good OG at this point in M. Johnson Alabama or John Jerry Ole Miss in this round if the QB's aren't there.

Fourth round would be nice to pickup the best safety available.

I hope we don't pick up a QB at all. I wouldn't touch Tony Pike. Also Jerry, Michael Johnson in the 3rd would be great.

Yup, no QB. It's going to be Alex, Nate or trade for our QBOTF
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

The running backs in the NFL will run over him time and time again if they get past the linebackers,

He is a tough little man, but he reminds me of Bob Sanders who is always hurt-and Bob Sanders is a tough man

He may be first round talent, but not for the 49ers; our secondary would only be upgraded with a Joe Haden, a bigger corner, or a more versatile DB, like Arenas

Funny how so many draft experts are so wrong.
Originally posted by rapid4:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:

Funny how so many draft experts are so wrong.

I know. I hear what the analysts are saying and see where he is projected, but do you see him as a nickel corner, playing in space, close to the line?

There are first round bonified busts too, just like there are third round Adrian Wilsons, or Oshiomogho Atogwe for instance.

Oh, Ive also seen Earl Thomas get run over, literally; not just once.

Give me Jones, or Ward first. Then Cox, or Robinson as corners before Thomas.
[ Edited by SFL49ER on Feb 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM ]
  • ramlive10
  • Info N/A
Looking at the 49ers defensive stats, the team should be far more concerned with getting cover safety, then one that plays closer to the line. Last season the Niners were sixth in rushing defense, while twenty-first against the run. Also, in terms of run support they seemed to have more trouble with faster backs, then with bruisers who are more inclined to run over defenders.

I believe that playmaker like Earl Thomas is exactly what the 49ers need to get to the playoffs. We should all be able to agree that his ball skills rank with the best defenders in the draft, and provides better range then any safeties currently on the roster. This would push Dashon Goldson into strong safety which he is at the least equally equipped for, considering his size, and nose for ball carriers.
Earl Thomas is a player. The guy was all over the field, in pass coverage and run support. He plays the ball as well as any safety I have seen coming out and yeah he is not that big but Polamulu, Bob Sanders or even Ed Reed are all that big. They are good (to very good) football players and that is what Earl Thomas is.
Share 49ersWebzone