LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 136 users in the forums

Post MDog 200 Big Board "Spiller is gone at #13 mock!"

So Spiller is gone by #13, so now I can be more practical about getting an OT with our first pick at #13. While this is what most of you want us to do, I still would take Spiller and Graham if it were up to me (if he was available). But he is not, so here it goes....(and based on MadDog's new 200 Big Board)

FA:

Best G available (Neal, etc...) - will play left G for us
Hixon KR/PR - will give us depth at KR/PR, considering I will be drafting one as well.

Resign:

Sims
Franklin
Brooks
Bly
Wilhelm

Draft:

1.a.) #13 -- Bryan Bulaga RT - Ok so if we don't get Spiller here, I hope and pray that we are not passing on him, but that he has already been picked. In this mock I am assuming he has been seleced by #13. Bulaga fixes our huge issues at RT. Starts immediately and gives Smith more time to find open receivers. Most importantly, Bulaga will help give us the best idea of whether Alex Smith will be our quarterback in 2011 by helping keep Alex Smith upright. Bulaga could also project to the LT position, which would be of great help if Staley ever goes down in the future and Sims is no longer with the team.

With our most glaring need taken care of, we now have the leverage to move back in the first round to the mid-twenties and pick up an extra second round pick. While I would be more than happy to select Graham at #16, I'm trying to think a little differently n this mock, considering many people will now have Graham in their mocks at oursecond 1st round pick.

1.b.) #26 -- Dan Williams NT - Trading down to this point gives us a lot of options. If Graham is still on the board here, we can take him if we want. In this scenario, he is not, so we take Franklin's eventual replacement at NT, a position that is very difficult to fill. This pick gives us more options next year when Fanklin's contract is up and we have to decide whether to give him a huge contract. Williams is the best NT prospect in this draft, and we keep our eyes to the future and makethe pick.

2.a.) #45 -- Jerry Hughes DE/OLB - Hughes deciding to skip the Senior Bowl is our gain. If he went, we would probably be talking about him or Graham as a guy we needed to get. He was an absolute beast as a pass-rusher for TCU, he was very productive, and has a nonstop motor similar to Graham. We get the next best thing in Hughes, who just like Graham, would probably start pretty soon after joining the niners.

2.b.) #58 -- Nate Allen FS - After Berry, he is the best pure FS prospect in the draft IMO (I like him better than Earl Thomas). He is excellent in coverage, and when Lewis is finished, Goldson can move to SS and Nate Allen will become our starting FS. The ballhawking safety that we need.

3. #77 -- Mardy Gilyard WR/PR/KR - We have a huge need on special teams in the return game, and Gilyard can return both kicks and punts. He also has some speed and can be a nice shifty slot receiver for us, so this pick gives us good value. We also only have four receivers (Crabtree , Morgan, Hill, Jones), so we will be needing a fifth one as well.

4. #109 -- Jason Fox RT - While we just selected Bulaga with our first pick, Fox gives us tremendous value here in the fourth round, as if it wasn't for his shoulder injury, he might have been a late first round pick. Gives us immediate depth now at RT, a position coming into the draft where we not only had no depth, we had no talent either. Now we have both. Also gives us much flexibility in the future, as Sims, while he filled in excellently at LT this past year for Staley, is getting pretty old and will not be around for much longer. Fox backs up Bulaga at RT.

5.a.) #141 -- Brandon Carter G - He comes in with experience inthe spread offense at Texas Tech and brings with him a nasty attitude that we need on the Oline. Competes with Rachal at RG and gives us depth at the position.

5.b.) #145 -- Brian Jackson CB - Trade our 6th and 7th round picks to move back into the 5th and grab Jackson, a solid cover CB that played for a big time program at Oklahoma. Gives needed depth in the secondary, so we never have to see Keith Smith on the field ever again if we have an injury to one of our CB's.

Depth Chart:

QB: Smith, Davis, Hill
RB: Gore, Coffee, Robinson, Norris
WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Gilyard
TE: Davis, Walker
OL: Staley, FA GUARD, Heitmann, Rachal, Bulaga
Sims, Baas, Wallace, Carter, Fox Wragge

DL: Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith,
Balmer, Williams, McDonald
LB: Hughes, Willis, Spikes, Brooks
Haralson, Wilhelm, McKillop, Lawson, Briggs
CB: Spencer, Clements, Brown, Bly, Jackson
S: Lewis, Goldson, Allen, Smith

LS: Jennings
K: Nedney
P: Lee
KR/PR: Hixon/ Gilyard

So with this draft we are looking at the present AND the future. We now have talent and depth at OL, NT, OLB, and S. Next year, and the years following, we will have SO many options as a result of shoring up our needs with talent at very important positions. We even have depth at KR/PR as well.

I admit I am becoming addicted to the draft because of reading the zone the past few years, and I appreciate everyone's comments on my other mocks. I really do put a lot of thought into them. All my picks are almost exactly around the area MadDog has them slated on his new 200 big board so I tried to mke it as realistic as possible. So what do you guys think of this one? Good? Bad?

Go niners!
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Jan 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM ]
wow...pretty wishful thinking there if you think you can get Hughes, Gilyard and Fox at those picks.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
wow...pretty wishful thinking there if you think you can get Hughes, Gilyard and Fox at those picks.

:)
Gilyard is not a 3rd rounder.

Take it up with MadDog if you believe that is wishful thinking. Hughes is slated at right where we pick in the second, Gilyard at right where pick in the third, and Fox is slated a few slots behind where we draft in the fourth. THAT IS WHY I MADE THESE PICKS.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

According to MadDog, you are wrong. Check out his Big Board he just put up. And I wrote a disclaimer saying that I based these picks off his new board.
even though i dont think Fox and Mardy making it to our 3 and 4 picks, I love it.

I'd freaking be pumped if we got Hughes, Fox and Mardy in 2nd-4th rd's.
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
So Spiller is gone by #13, so now I can be more practical about getting an OT with our first pick at #13. While this is what most of you want us to do, I still would take Spiller and Graham if it were up to me (if he was available). But he is not, so here it goes....(and based on MadDog's new 200 Big Board)

FA:

Hixon KR/PR - will give us depth at KR/PR, considering I will be drafting one as well.

Resign:

Sims
Franklin
Brooks
Bly
Wilhelm

Draft:

1.a.) #13 -- Bryan Bulaga RT - Ok so if we don't get Spiller here, I hope and pray that we are not passing on him, but that he has already been picked. In this mock I am assuming he has been seleced by #13. Bulaga fixes our huge issues at RT. Starts immediately and gives Smith more time to find open receivers. Most importantly, Bulaga will help give us the best idea of whether Alex Smith will be our quarterback in 2011 by helping keep Alex Smith upright. Bulaga could also project to the LT position, which would be of great help if Staley ever goes down in the future and Sims is no longer with the team.

With our most glaring need taken care of, we now have the leverage to move back in the first round to the mid-twenties and pick up an extra second round pick. While I would be more than happy to select Graham at #16, I'm trying to think a little differently n this mock, considering many people will now have Graham in their mocks at oursecond 1st round pick.

1.b.) #26 -- Dan Williams NT - Trading down to this point gives us a lot of options. If Graham is still on the board here, we can take him if we want. In this scenario, he is not, so we take Franklin's eventual replacement at NT, a position that is very difficult to fill. This pick gives us more options next year when Fanklin's contract is up and we have to decide whether to give him a huge contract. Williams is the best NT prospect in this draft, and we keep our eyes to the future and makethe pick.

2.a.) #45 -- Jerry Hughes DE/OLB - Hughes deciding to skip the Senior Bowl is our gain. If he went, we would probably be talking about him or Graham as a guy we needed to get. He was an absolute beast as a pass-rusher for TCU, he was very productive, and has a nonstop motor similar to Graham. We get the next best thing in Hughes, who just like Graham, would probably start pretty soon after joining the niners.

2.b.) #58 -- Nate Allen FS - After Berry, he is the best pure FS prospect in the draft IMO (I like him better than Earl Thomas). He is excellent in coverage, and when Lewis is finished, Goldson can move to SS and Nate Allen will become our starting FS. The ballhawking safety that we need.

3. #77 -- Mardy Gilyard WR/PR/KR - We have a huge need on special teams in the return game, and Gilyard can return both kicks and punts. He also has some speed and can be a nice shifty slot receiver for us, so this pick gives us good value. We also only have four receivers (Crabtree , Morgan, Hill, Jones), so we will be needing a fifth one as well.

4. #109 -- Jason Fox RT - While we just selected Bulaga with our first pick, Fox gives us tremendous value here in the fourth round, as if it wasn't for his shoulder injury, he might have been a late first round pick. Gives us immediate depth now at RT, a position coming into the draft where we not only had no depth, we had no talent either. Now we have both. Also gives us much flexibility in the future, as Sims, while he filled in excellently at LT this past year for Staley, is getting pretty old and will not be around for much longer. Fox backs up Bulaga at RT.

5.a.) #141 -- Brandon Carter G - He comes in with experience inthe spread offense at Texas Tech and brings with him a nasty attitude that we need on the Oline. Competes with Rachal at RG and gives us depth at the position.

5.b.) #145 -- Brian Jackson CB - Trade our 6th and 7th round picks to move back into the 5th and grab Jackson, a solid cover CB that played for a big time program at Oklahoma. Gives needed depth in the secondary, so we never have to see Keith Smith on the field ever again if we have an injury to one of our CB's.

I really like the picks but we pick at 49, 79, and probably 112 based on 3 comp picks average after the third round. So will this change who you believe we draft or are able to pick?

FA:

Resign:

Sims
Franklin
Brooks
Bly
Wilhelm

Draft:

Depth Chart:

QB: Smith, Davis, Hill
RB: Gore, Coffee, Robinson, Norris
WR: Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Gilyard
TE: Davis, Walker
OL: Staley, FA GUARD, Heitmann, Rachal, Bulaga
Sims, Baas, Wallace, Carter, Fox Wragge

DL: Sopoaga, Franklin, Smith,
Balmer, Williams, McDonald
LB: Hughes, Willis, Spikes, Brooks
Haralson, Wilhelm, McKillop, Lawson, Briggs
CB: Spencer, Clements, Brown, Bly, Jackson
S: Lewis, Goldson, Allen, Smith

LS: Jennings
K: Nedney
P: Lee
KR/PR: Hixon/ Gilyard

So with this draft we are looking at the present AND the future. We now have talent and depth at OL, NT, OLB, and S. Next year, and the years following, we will have SO many options as a result of shoring up our needs with talent at very important positions. We even have depth at KR/PR as well.

I admit I am becoming addicted to the draft because of reading the zone the past few years, and I appreciate everyone's comments on my other mocks. I really do put a lot of thought into them. All my picks are almost exactly around the area MadDog has them slated on his new 200 big board so I tried to mke it as realistic as possible. So what do you guys think of this one? Good? Bad?

Go niners!

Dude you are beggin... Fox is a 2nd, Gilyard is a 2Nd Allen will be long gone by 58. You basically have us taking 5 2nd rounds in the draft. I like the wishful thinking but this is very unrealistic

Nice mock if it fell this way.
I don't think Dan Williams will last that long. If we want him, we have to take him at 17.

Here's a thinking bubble for people -- Would Scot pull the trigger at #17? I bet you he'll strongly consider it if Williams is there. I'm not sure Dan even makes it to 17 though. It's possible he may not.
If we somehow accomplished this sort of draft we'd definitely be locked for a strong playoff position, and more for years to come.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

According to MadDog, you are wrong. Check out his Big Board he just put up. And I wrote a disclaimer saying that I based these picks off his new board.

Which means what?
Gilyard has moved up to at least the 2nd round,looked real good lately!
Share 49ersWebzone