LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 149 users in the forums

Ninerjohn's No-Iupati Mock Draft

OK.. I know this wont be popular because it doesnt include the Chosen One but here is a draft that I would be happy with:

1A Brian Bullaga OT Iowa
Top talent that will become an immediate starter on the right side and can slide
over to the left side if necessary. Big, athletic, and versatile

1B Brandon Graham OLB Michigan
The Niners had good sack results but lets not fool ourselves. This team still needs
a better pass rush from their OLBs and another true playmaker outside of Willis.

2 Dexter McCluster WR/RB/KR Mississippi
Would have loved to get him in round 3 but he flies up the board after an
incredible Senior Bowl Week. The Niners need Spiller of McCluster to add
a real speed threat on both offense and special teams.

3 Mike Johnson OG Alabama (or John Jerry Mississipi)
Johnson or Jerry would provide a huge upgrade at OG and give real value
in round 3. While not as good as Iupati they still have ability to be top level
guards in the NFL

4) Major Wright FS Florida
Fast,productive FS from powerhouse Florida will allow Goldson to move to SS
where he will shine in my opinion

5) Walter Thurmond CB Oregon
Talented kid who would have gone in top 2-3 rounds if not for injuries suffered
at Oregon. He played just 4 games this past year but has the ability to play
in the nickel and dime packages and contribute right away

6) Taylor Price WR Ohio (or Marcus Easley Conneticut)
Intriguing prospect because of speed and he may be gone before this round.
Niners need speed at WR and Price would provide that

7) Ekom Udofia NT Stanford
Getting a local kid who can provide depth at NT is not a bad thing in round 7.
He would have real shot to make team

Thats it. 8 players .. 4 on Offense and 4 on Defense. I know it doesnt include Iupati who will be a star but it does hit on the Niners needs in my opinion.

Thoughts?
Like the first 4 picks. Would like Iupati, but don't mind Graham.
Who does Udofia make the team over?
Originally posted by teeohh:

I'm not sure the Niners have a true NT other than Franklin. He could possibly make the team as a backup NT or as a minimum make the practice squad. Reality is .. most 7th round picks dont make it but he would have a better shot than most because of the position in my opinion
Love that you picked up Graham. We still NEED to get better at OLB and pass rush. If Brook continues to develop, he and Graham on the edge would be downright scary. And Lawson and Haralson to rotate in gives us huge depth at the postion.

While I really want Spiller AND Graham in the first, I understand the urgency to pick up a bluechip OL. So as long as Spiller or Graham get selected with the OL pick then I will be content.
Udofia would be sweet in the 7th imo.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Jan 30, 2010 at 11:43 AM ]
Love that draft! Don't think Price will be there in there the 6th after his performance so far at the Senior Bowl, but would be great to get him.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by teeohh:

I'm not sure the Niners have a true NT other than Franklin. He could possibly make the team as a backup NT or as a minimum make the practice squad. Reality is .. most 7th round picks dont make it but he would have a better shot than most because of the position in my opinion

Balmer is backup NT right? and is RJF NT or DE?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I'll be very happy with the outcome since this is a No-Iupati mock.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
LOL at the "No Iupati" Mock Drafts now.

No Iupati? Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple notes: Bulaga is spelled with one "l". I wouldn't cry with your first round combo, although you undoubtably know that I have been beating the Iupati drum for far too long now.

McCluster may not even be on the board in the second. He the consensus player of the week at the Senior Bowl.

Price may move inside the top 75 picks, so he's not going to be on the board in the 6th. May have been the top WR in Mobile. And, he's going to run really fast at the combine.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
No Iupati? Sacrilege!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple notes: Bulaga is spelled with one "l". I wouldn't cry with your first round combo, although you undoubtably know that I have been beating the Iupati drum for far too long now.

McCluster may not even be on the board in the second. He the consensus player of the week at the Senior Bowl.

Price may move inside the top 75 picks, so he's not going to be on the board in the 6th. May have been the top WR in Mobile. And, he's going to run really fast at the combine.

I'm a little less sold on Price. He strikes me as a player who is similar to Santonio Holmes in a few ways, but he's not dominant, I don't feel his hands have been as consistent, I don't feel he's great at catching the ball in traffic or under pressure, and he didn't produce much at all despite not facing top competition. Plus, what about his blocking? RAC? To me, Price grades as a 4th-5th round talent.

Might he run a fast 40 and have a team reach for him? Sure. But I don't think he's worth taking any higher than the 4th round. My honest take on Price. We'll see if he does anything to change my mind today.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:52 PM ]
I like the mock and think this draft would really help our team. However, do you think Johnson or Jerry would be an upgrade over Baas/Rachel in their rookie season? I'm not so sure. That is why I would prefer Iupati. But I like the mock
A few comments:

1) MD - Sorry about that spelling. I will make sure Bulaga is spelled correctly from now on .

2) Price.. There is no way the guy was a 3rd round and prob not 4th round before this week. He has certainly made himself some money this week. I think I put that he probably wouldnt be there where I put him but I dont see him in top 75.

3) Johnson and Jerry. I like them both and think they will both be better than Baas in the long run. Really hard to say that they would be better in rookie years and start right away though. No question they are not to Iupati's level.

4) If the Niners do not think that McCluster will be there in rd 2 then I think Spiller should be their pick in the first. I really think they need one of these 2
When Webzone mocks go for a guard no earlier than 2nd R, #49, I wonder how will that help the team that already has two 2nd Round guards in Baas and Rachal. No one's really addressed my this issue. Won't the 2nd or 3rd guard have to compete for a starting position? Won't that take time away from OL cohesion and success?
Share 49ersWebzone