Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
NO. WR isnt a major need and there are many more areas to address

But he can be a very good player and he's always open because of his height, and it's not like we're wasting a 1st rounder here

We have needs at OT OG OLB CB S - all of which are more important in my opinion. He didnt have a great Senior Bowl practice week either from what I read. Anyway, no chance I'd take him in the 3rd. 4th-5th perhaps.

And who would you rather have a guy like Reggie Smith or a guy like Brandon Marshall? Seriously man...

LOL Way to pick extremes. Just a ridiculous statement by you there.

Not really. It really really isn't. This guy has a s**t load of potential and he had a very productive season. He's 6'5'' with a 45 inch vertical leap and he had 113 catches and 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns. You don't pass that up JUST because "well we need a safety and an OG and an OT and blah blah blah blah blah". That line of thinking is what got us Kentwan Balmer over DeSean Jackson, Reggie Smith over Mario Manningham, Brandon Williams("because we needed a WR that can return!") over Brandon Marshall, etc. We need good players. Alexander has a great shot at being a very good player IMO. There for, if he is there and our scouts like him, you pick him because we need good players.

The Niners need good players at lots of spots that are more critical than WR. Alexander isnt what the Niners need. If the Niners were to take a WR I would want a speed burner who can really stretch the field. Alexander runs about a 4.6 40 if I'm not mistaken. I am not saying he isnt a good player but that he isnt who the Niners should take in rd 3. That is hardly the same thinking on Balmer over JAckson. Please.. that is insulting.

A wr who can stretch the field doesnt allways have to be a speed burner, but someone who can out jump and go up and fight for the ball. Aka Larry Fitz or old Plaxico burres

We have that kind of player who can fight for the ball in Michael Crabtree. All I am saying is that the Niners would be much better off using a selection around that spot for McCluster. The Niners have a huge need for speed.

Also.... Alexander isnt exactly rated as an elite WR thats for sure. Scouts has him as the 16th rated WR and I am sure his lack of top end speed is the reason for that.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:53 PM ]

But he can be a very good player and he's always open because of his height, and it's not like we're wasting a 1st rounder here

We have needs at OT OG OLB CB S - all of which are more important in my opinion. He didnt have a great Senior Bowl practice week either from what I read. Anyway, no chance I'd take him in the 3rd. 4th-5th perhaps.

Atwoge or Rhodes in FA

Williams, Buluga, Hughes in the draft.

Bam 4/5 of your needs are already addressed and we can a take a playmaker. Yeah McCluster might be better for us but you're making a pretty big assumption that he's there in the 3rd.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jan 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM ]
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Atwoge or Rhodes in FA

Bam 4/5 of your needs are already addressed and we can a take a playmaker. Yeah McCluster might be better for us but you're making a pretty big assumption that he's there in the 3rd.

You want Williams AND Bulaga? Hmmm . I think you meant Iupati but I could be assuming too much.

Yes.. McCluster could be gone by rd 3. I would take him in rd 2 unless we take Spiller in the first. SPEED is what this team needs in my humble opinion. Speed and size up front on the OL. I would be very happy with Bulaga, Iupati, and McCluster with our first 3 picks.
Originally posted by marshniners24:

And who would you rather have a guy like Reggie Smith or a guy like Brandon Marshall? Seriously man...

Not really. It really really isn't. This guy has a s**t load of potential and he had a very productive season. He's 6'5'' with a 45 inch vertical leap and he had 113 catches and 1700 yards and 14 touchdowns. You don't pass that up JUST because "well we need a safety and an OG and an OT and blah blah blah blah blah". That line of thinking is what got us Kentwan Balmer over DeSean Jackson, Reggie Smith over Mario Manningham, Brandon Williams("because we needed a WR that can return!") over Brandon Marshall, etc. We need good players. Alexander has a great shot at being a very good player IMO. There for, if he is there and our scouts like him, you pick him because we need good players.

The Niners need good players at lots of spots that are more critical than WR. Alexander isnt what the Niners need. If the Niners were to take a WR I would want a speed burner who can really stretch the field. Alexander runs about a 4.6 40 if I'm not mistaken. I am not saying he isnt a good player but that he isnt who the Niners should take in rd 3. That is hardly the same thinking on Balmer over JAckson. Please.. that is insulting.

A wr who can stretch the field doesnt allways have to be a speed burner, but someone who can out jump and go up and fight for the ball. Aka Larry Fitz or old Plaxico burres

We have that kind of player who can fight for the ball in Michael Crabtree. All I am saying is that the Niners would be much better off using a selection around that spot for McCluster. The Niners have a huge need for speed.

Also.... Alexander isnt exactly rated as an elite WR thats for sure. Scouts has him as the 16th rated WR and I am sure his lack of top end speed is the reason for that.

Crabtree isn't the same type of player. Plaxico/Marshall/Jackson type of recievers present a HUGE target, and can really aid QBs who aren't extremely accurate because they just have to throw them the ball in that area and they can go get it. McCluster might not even be there and even if he is I think Alexander winds up as a better NFL player than him. Those little WRs better have elite speed or run great routes/have great hands because it takes more for them to get open than a super tall guy with an elite vert.

As for him being the 16th rated WR, please. Anyone who has watched him play knows he's legit. I don't think there are 16 recievers better than him/more potential. Give me that list and I can find probably at least half of those guys and point out why he's a better prospect then them. Also, Marshall was a 4th rounder. Vincent Jackson was at the very end of the 2nd round. Colston was a 7th rounder. Rankings from websites don't mean anything IMO when a guy has the athleticism he has, the height he has, and the production he's had.

Crabtree isn't the same type of player. Plaxico/Marshall/Jackson type of recievers present a HUGE target, and can really aid QBs who aren't extremely accurate because they just have to throw them the ball in that area and they can go get it. McCluster might not even be there and even if he is I think Alexander winds up as a better NFL player than him. Those little WRs better have elite speed or run great routes/have great hands because it takes more for them to get open than a super tall guy with an elite vert.

As for him being the 16th rated WR, please. Anyone who has watched him play knows he's legit. I don't think there are 16 recievers better than him/more potential. Give me that list and I can find probably at least half of those guys and point out why he's a better prospect then them. Also, Marshall was a 4th rounder. Vincent Jackson was at the very end of the 2nd round. Colston was a 7th rounder. Rankings from websites don't mean anything IMO when a guy has the athleticism he has, the height he has, and the production he's had.

agree completly
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Atwoge or Rhodes in FA

You want Williams AND Bulaga? Hmmm . I think you meant Iupati but I could be assuming too much.

Yes.. McCluster could be gone by rd 3. I would take him in rd 2 unless we take Spiller in the first. SPEED is what this team needs in my humble opinion. Speed and size up front on the OL. I would be very happy with Bulaga, Iupati, and McCluster with our first 3 picks.

I meant Iupati. Taking a receiver in round 3 has no effect whatsoever on what we do with the line.

I'm fine with McCluster but's he's not going to do much to help stretch the field. You're talking about someone who might get on the field 10 times a game and he's not going to stretch it vertically. Sure he might have a Sproles like impact, but that's best case scenario.

agree completly

Glad to hear it
i don't think a cj spiller, mcluster type of player would back off the defense any in the secondary...if any it would bring more attention to the backfield. But i can surely recognize that if a 6 foot 5 reciever is doing 9 routes he will surely be double covered. That is exactly what we need to open up the offense. Although both can surely help i think a obvious deep threat would expand are offense leaps and bounds.

Obviously there are always guys that are finds later in the draft. I just dont think he is as great as you think he is. I also dont think he has the speed we need. Finally, I would rather use our top 4 picks on Bulaga, Iupati, McCluster, and a passrusher before taking it on someone like Alexander.

He was productive but hardly elite. Here is one scouting report:

Weaknesses:
Durability is a major concern --- Average speed --- Is not very quick or explosive and lacks a burst --- Isn't a polished route runner --- Doesn't get a lot of separation --- Not overly elusive --- Will not contribute as a return man --- Stats were exaggerated by pass-happy spread system.

Also.. he has torn his ACL in his left knee not once but TWICE. Will he be a good and maybe a very good WR - I think its possible certainly. I just dont think its a given at all and would focus on our need areas.
By the way.. I do believe he will be a 3rd round pick so the OP was not off when suggesting 3rd round. Not saying he isnt worth that for many teams.

Just thought I would also post a few comments from people who do this for a living. I cant find anyone who was impressed by his week in Mobile.

Rob Rang NFL DRAFTSCOUT.COM
Fallers
WR Danario Alexander, Missouri: Like many big receivers, Alexander struggles changing directions quickly -- a fact that was quickly exposed in the pro-style offense he was forced to acclimate to this week. The long strider is a good enough athlete to make plays when he gets the ball delivered to him on the move, but the expectations that he could enjoy the same sort of immediate impact in the NFL as former teammate Jeremy Maclin appear misguided.

Scott Wright NFL Draftcountdown
"• Missouri WR Danario Alexander is a bit lumbering and not very quick. However, he did a good job of blocking downfield."

Colin Lindsey Great Blue North Draft:
"Meanwhile, it was also a kind of a tough week for WRs Danario Alexander of Missouri, who was physica enough, but lacked the speed and quickness to get much separation,"

Russ Lande Sporting News:
"Missouri WR Danario Alexander did not show quickness or explosiveness in his routes and looked like a one-speed runner. Alexander (6-4 5/8, 221) also did not consistently catch the ball well and did not win jump-ball battles that big receivers like him must win.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:43 AM ]

As long as he makes plays. We are at the point that we just needs ballers. Were on the brink of a championship team. We just need 2-3 more play-makers, preferably on offense and special teams.

(cough) Ahemm. Spiller, McCluster or Bush. Cribbs would be nice too.
Originally posted by thaakingd:
i don't think a cj spiller, mcluster type of player would back off the defense any in the secondary...if any it would bring more attention to the backfield. But i can surely recognize that if a 6 foot 5 reciever is doing 9 routes he will surely be double covered. That is exactly what we need to open up the offense. Although both can surely help i think a obvious deep threat would expand are offense leaps and bounds.

Let me explain a simple concept to you..

Fast explosive players like spiller/mcluster put the defense on their heels. Safetys can't step up to line in fear of getting burned. Both can line up as slot receivers & you better believe they'll have dbs back peddling in 2010.

They will have secondarys backing up.
Originally posted by GMniner805:
Originally posted by thaakingd:

Let me explain a simple concept to you..

Fast explosive players like spiller/mcluster put the defense on their heels. Safetys can't step up to line in fear of getting burned. Both can line up as slot receivers & you better believe they'll have dbs back peddling in 2010.

They will have secondarys backing up.

I agree. I think having Vernon, Crabtree and Spiller/McCluster all on one side would put fear into any team. RIght now we just dont have that guy who can line up in the slot and scare anyone.

Have some logic.

You are acting like you are a psychic. Mel Kiper or some of the top talent scouts couldn't predict how players turn out.
Ninerjohn's review above really showed the struggle he had playing better competition this week. Not a ringing endorsement. However, the same Senior Bowl butchery of Cody Wallace didn't stop the Niners from burning a fourth rounder, so who knows what the team thinks.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jan 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone