LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Prospect Watch: Senior Bowl 2010 GameDay Thread

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
You guys do realize that there is not a lot of stock put into this game from scouts, coaches and GM's. The week of practice is more important.

A couple of ridiculous comments I'm seeing :

-Iupati in the 2nd/No to Iupati

-Graham working himself into the top 10

And FWIW before you go and type up your next mock after this game, Scot looks for OLB's for the 3-4 being at least 6"4 240 lbs. Graham lacks the prototypical height so do not be surprised if we don't take him. His lack of ideal height for a 3-4 OLB is what will likely cause him to go no higher than the 20-30 range overall.

You're acting like Graham just had one game and now he's amazing but he had a very good week of practice, he's very athletic despite being a bit short, and he's been doing this all season in college too. I've always thought of him as a first round pick personally, even when people say no he's a 2nd.

4 year player.......led nation this year with 26.5 TFL........10.5 sacks while being double teamed most of the time.....................had a dominant week of practice and the Defensive MVP of the game............

I think Graham is a little bit more than a one week wonder.

This.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by IdentityCrisis:
You guys do realize that there is not a lot of stock put into this game from scouts, coaches and GM's. The week of practice is more important.

And FWIW before you go and type up your next mock after this game, Scot looks for OLB's for the 3-4 being at least 6"4 240 lbs. Graham lacks the prototypical height so do not be surprised if we don't take him. His lack of ideal height for a 3-4 OLB is what will likely cause him to go no higher than the 20-30 range overall.

good. I can think of one cat who got drafted later because he was short and led the NFL in sacks this year. Pick him at 17.

That dude was 5"11 IIRC but again Scot said it himself last year that he looks for OLB's to be at least 6"4 so that lack of ideal height should make you think twice when penciling him for us at 16/17.

I think he was making a general rule of thumb comment. It doesn't make all his decisions absolute. Doesn't really matter, no body knows what the niners will do, but I think his play this season and all week warrants hope that he will be drafted by us.

It is definitely possible we still would take him but I think in this instance he'd have to be good value from Scot's perspective.

I do have to laugh though that after this game Iupati is now out and Graham is in according to some. He's the new flavor of the week. Iupati performance does not drop his stock IMO, he practiced really well all week and that will be far more important to the evaluators in the end.

No question somebody will draft Iupati. Some scout or GM who didn't see the game, cause its so meaningless to everyone except all us poor, simple, football fans who actually watched it.

Might be a mistake, tho, to take him too high, cause he really didn't show much today--certainly not enough to step in and take Baas's job, or Rachal's. IMHO.

That was a reference to KRS-1's assertion, above, that GMs and scouts don't care about this game and that those of us who watched it and commented on some aspects of it are being "ridiculous" in our observations, or otherwise not living up to his expectations in some way.

He did have a point. They do always leave town before the game. Even before NFLN started airing.

His point wasn't about you guys commenting on games. It was about how some used this game to jump one guy up more than half the spots he was projected to go. Then moved down another by about 20+ spots on this one game. Had general comments have been made i'm sure there wouldn't have been a post about it. As it stands there were some comments that could be viewed as "ridiculous" depending on what side of the fence you're on. It really is just a matter of opinion on where you had these guys rated before this game.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't know about you guys, but Graham just replaced Iupati at #17 on my mock. It certainly will change after the combine, but as of today I'd take Graham over Iupati.
Originally posted by krizay:

good. I can think of one cat who got drafted later because he was short and led the NFL in sacks this year. Pick him at 17.

That dude was 5"11 IIRC but again Scot said it himself last year that he looks for OLB's to be at least 6"4 so that lack of ideal height should make you think twice when penciling him for us at 16/17.

I think he was making a general rule of thumb comment. It doesn't make all his decisions absolute. Doesn't really matter, no body knows what the niners will do, but I think his play this season and all week warrants hope that he will be drafted by us.

It is definitely possible we still would take him but I think in this instance he'd have to be good value from Scot's perspective.

I do have to laugh though that after this game Iupati is now out and Graham is in according to some. He's the new flavor of the week. Iupati performance does not drop his stock IMO, he practiced really well all week and that will be far more important to the evaluators in the end.

No question somebody will draft Iupati. Some scout or GM who didn't see the game, cause its so meaningless to everyone except all us poor, simple, football fans who actually watched it.

Might be a mistake, tho, to take him too high, cause he really didn't show much today--certainly not enough to step in and take Baas's job, or Rachal's. IMHO.

That was a reference to KRS-1's assertion, above, that GMs and scouts don't care about this game and that those of us who watched it and commented on some aspects of it are being "ridiculous" in our observations, or otherwise not living up to his expectations in some way.

He did have a point. They do always leave town before the game. Even before NFLN started airing.

His point wasn't about you guys commenting on games. It was about how some used this game to jump one guy up more than half the spots he was projected to go. Then moved down another by about 20+ spots on this one game. Had general comments have been made i'm sure there wouldn't have been a post about it. As it stands there were some comments that could be viewed as "ridiculous" depending on what side of the fence you're on. It really is just a matter of opinion on where you had these guys rated before this game.

I didn't see anyone posting a mock draft or assigning draft numbers on guys while commenting on the game in this thread, but if that's who he was criticizing, then he should have said so.

The way it came out, it read like he was criticizing all of us who bothered to watch the game (cause the scouts and GMs don't bother to do so) and posted observations about what we saw.

Sorry
Originally posted by mayo63:
I don't know about you guys, but Graham just replaced Iupati at #17 on my mock. It certainly will change after the combine, but as of today I'd take Graham over Iupati.

Exactly, presuming we get an OT at #13.

Sorry

lol.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

I didn't see anyone posting a mock draft or assigning draft numbers on guys while commenting on the game in this thread, but if that's who he was criticizing, then he should have said so.

The way it came out, it read like he was criticizing all of us who bothered to watch the game (cause the scouts and GMs don't bother to do so) and posted observations about what we saw.

He did say so by typing

Quote:

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by DesiDez:
Graham Odrick Neal Carrington all had great weeks and it's showing today

North defense is dominating. Looks good for Graham as our second 1st round pick.

I would be ecstatic to land a top OL and Graham.

So, OT with the 13th pick and Graham with the 16/17th? That would be sweet.

Check out Ninerjohn's No Iupati draft done before the game today. I think you will like it!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
The biggest fallers after today were:

DE Selvie (not agile, not strong)
OTs Wang, Young, Capers, and Ciron Black.
CB Lindley

I disagree OTC about Young.

How can he a faller and he's already rock bottom on draft boards?

Brandon Graham is a very solid player but I view him as a slightly better prospect than Parys Haralson. Maybe in the right scheme he can be a double digit sack guy but then again Haralson nearly was a double digit sack guy in 08 but no one will ever confuse him with an elite pass rusher.

I hope people finally wake up now and realize Tim Tebow is a 3rd rd prospect AT BEST.

Iupati will go where he belongs, in the 20-32 range.

I hope we get Gilyard, McCluster or Arenas (or Spiller).

I still like Bulaga and Earl Thomas with our 2 1st rd picks.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Brandon Graham is a very solid player but I view him as a slightly better prospect than Parys Haralson. Maybe in the right scheme he can be a double digit sack guy but then again Haralson nearly was a double digit sack guy in 08 but no one will ever confuse him with an elite pass rusher.

I hope people finally wake up now and realize Tim Tebow is a 3rd rd prospect AT BEST.

Haralson was nowhere near the prospect that Graham is. Haralson was drafted exactly where he should've been -- in the 5th round.

Haralson has not once been in the double digits his entire career. He had 8 in 2008. He never even had double-digit sacks in college, with the most he ever had being 8.5 his senior year.

Graham led the nation in TFL and has had back to back double-digit sack years. He's a monster and a man playing amongst boys. He and Haralson are completely uncomparable.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

Haralson was nowhere near the prospect that Graham is. Haralson was drafted exactly where he should've been -- in the 5th round.

Haralson has not once been in the double digits his entire career. He had 8 in 2008. He never even had double-digit sacks in college, with the most he ever had being 8.5 his senior year.

Graham led the nation in TFL and has had back to back double-digit sack years. He's a monster and a man playing amongst boys. He and Haralson are completely uncomparable.

Yep. OTC, where do you expect him to go?

Agreed, and I watched just about every game Parys played at Tennessee...love the guy and was extremely happy we drafted him, but he's not in the same conversation in terms of pass rush skills, size, physical abilities and ranking as a prospect as Graham is.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Agreed, and I watched just about every game Parys played at Tennessee...love the guy and was extremely happy we drafted him, but he's not in the same conversation in terms of pass rush skills, size, physical abilities and ranking as a prospect as Graham is.

You know what really pisses me off? The fact that we could get a franchise caliber NT and OLB in the first round to set this defense straight for the next decade.

Instead, we still have OL issues. WTF!
Share 49ersWebzone