LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

Dez Bryant signs with Eugene Parker

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Overreaction.

Parker is one of the top agents in the game, and Michael Crabtree was only one in a sea of clients.

Once again, the issue with Crabtree was his inability to workout before the draft. This made his value a mystery, since all scouts, coaches, teams, GM's had was his game tape. Bryant will be working out for scouts, and he will have every opportunity to show his ability, speed, hands, and more.

Does anybody really think Crabtree would have been drafted 10th overall if he worked out? There is no way. So, Parker, as I argued all along, had a very strong argument, especially after his play in 2009, and how pathetic DHB looked on the field.

Bryant is not the player to watch in this draft. It is Bradford, who may not be able to work out before the draft. So, his agent may take the same approach: that his true value is based upon his dominance at the college level, and projection in the NFL. Especially if some QB off the radar jumps over him in the draft, just like DHB jumped Crabtree.

In other words, there is too much of a reaction on this thread.

The overreacton is because there are still ill feelings harbored toward Parker. He is to blame in the whole Crabtree debacle in the eyes of 9er fans. Seems most did not even choose to acknowledge that he is one of the most reputable and professional agents in the business.
Over reaction or not, I dont want anything to do with Parker. However, I think he understands that this time we mean business...

I hate to jinx it, but I can't imagine any of our top picks holding out next year.
Parker and his clients have a history of holdouts, not just Crabtree. That is just how Parker rolls. He uses holdouts as a negotiation tool.

Buyer beware.
He's one that may actually have to sit the whole season AGAIN.

[ Edited by WheresWaldo on Jan 13, 2010 at 14:02:02 ]
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Overreaction.

Parker is one of the top agents in the game, and Michael Crabtree was only one in a sea of clients.

Once again, the issue with Crabtree was his inability to workout before the draft. This made his value a mystery, since all scouts, coaches, teams, GM's had was his game tape. Bryant will be working out for scouts, and he will have every opportunity to show his ability, speed, hands, and more.

Does anybody really think Crabtree would have been drafted 10th overall if he worked out? There is no way. So, Parker, as I argued all along, had a very strong argument, especially after his play in 2009, and how pathetic DHB looked on the field.

Bryant is not the player to watch in this draft. It is Bradford, who may not be able to work out before the draft. So, his agent may take the same approach: that his true value is based upon his dominance at the college level, and projection in the NFL. Especially if some QB off the radar jumps over him in the draft, just like DHB jumped Crabtree.

In other words, there is too much of a reaction on this thread.

The overreacton is because there are still ill feelings harbored toward Parker. He is to blame in the whole Crabtree debacle in the eyes of 9er fans. Seems most did not even choose to acknowledge that he is one of the most reputable and professional agents in the business.

Yeah, having negotiations with another team and lying about it which is strictly forbidden by NFL policy really makes him "professional". Add to that he got schooled by the 49ers brass on that contract and I think Parkers days as a super agent are numbered. The Poston Bros. were the super agents at one time as well.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Dblj55:
These prospects have to quit listening to Deion Sanders. He does way more harm than good.

Why, Sanders recommends these kids to sign with one of the most reputable agents in the biz. Have you seen the recent contracts he's negotiated ? Larry Fitzgerald (not just his extension either but go back and look at his rookie deal where being drafted #3 he still managed to get paid as well as the #1 pick), Jason Peters or Steven Jackson ?

I'm just tired of Deion. He is partially responsible for Bryant missing this past college season. He is partially responsible for the Crabtree holdout. He has his "boys" that he incessantly singles out on NFL Network, reminding everyone that they need to pay another one of his sheep. Yet he always rags on Mooch for being a Favre guy. Just tired of him. I have nothing against Parker. He is a great agent.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Parker and his clients have a history of holdouts, not just Crabtree. That is just how Parker rolls. He uses holdouts as a negotiation tool.

Buyer beware.

You are correct. Though I agree that it's an overreaction. Players hold out all the time. Normally not as long as Crabtree. But that was a unique situation.

Anyway here is the recent history of Parker and his 1st round picks.

Quote:
At one point within the past few years, Carl and Kevin Poston were notorious for holding out their clients.

Eugene Parker currently is wearing that crown.

Per a league source, only one of Parker's last 18 first-round draft picks have reported to training camp on time.

The exception? Jets tight end Dustin Keller, a first-round pick in 2008.

The string of 17 out of 18 holdouts dates back to 2000, when cornerback Ahmed Plummer didn't hold out in San Francisco.

Coincidentally, the 49ers' latest first-round pick has created Parker's highest-profile holdout.

While there's a chance that receiver Michael Crabtree is the one forcing the issue by insisting on getting paid more money than Raiders receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the seventh overall pick in the draft, the bottom line is that Parker has shown that holding first-rounders out has become a standard business practice
Share 49ersWebzone