There are 330 users in the forums

OFFICIAL Senior Bowl 2010

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Some notes:

* Mike Iupati- A fair number of sites with draft guys on the ground are mentioning that Iupati is the best OL at the Senior Bowl. He is dominant at guard, but his size, arm length and quickness is something teams are looking at in a transition to either LT or RT. Now, he was destroyed in one of the LT drills, but this is a guy who has not been coached up at the position, and I believe some team will find he simply needs to work on his technique. He's not a waist bender, so that is something teams are very interested to observe. Many teams, including the Cowboys, are taking a long, long look.

To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him anywhere, and move onto the 16th/17th selection.

* Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox are stealing the show at CB. Both appear to be late first, early second rounders, which is a shame. I do not think either will be on the board when the Niners make their pick in the second round.

* Jon Asamoah of Illinois is such a terrific athlete. This guy is money, and he should be there when the Niners pick in the second round. Imagine how much more athletic we would be replacing Baas and Snyder with Iupati and Asamoah.

* This is the time of the year where the men are separated from the boys. I have loved Brandon Graham for a long time, and he is a STUD football player. He can run around, through, underneath OT's all day long.

The good thing about Asamoah is that since he has short arms quite a few people are discounting him.

Brandon Graham really made a few people look bad today.

Kyle Wilson appears to have great technique and speed.
Originally posted by smileyman:

* Jon Asamoah of Illinois is such a terrific athlete. This guy is money, and he should be there when the Niners pick in the second round. Imagine how much more athletic we would be replacing Baas and Snyder with Iupati and Asamoah.

That's my wet dream. A line of Staley, Asamaoh, Heitmann, Rachal, Iupati. We'd be dominant.

What did you think of McCluster's performance today in the WR drills? To me he looked like a man playing with boys--he was so quick and crisp in his routes.

i just get this feeling that mcloughan would be reluctant to draft a guy like mccluster, given mcloughan's professed fondness for bigger players..
Some notes:

* Mike Iupati- A fair number of sites with draft guys on the ground are mentioning that Iupati is the best OL at the Senior Bowl. He is dominant at guard, but his size, arm length and quickness is something teams are looking at in a transition to either LT or RT. Now, he was destroyed in one of the LT drills, but this is a guy who has not been coached up at the position, and I believe some team will find he simply needs to work on his technique. He's not a waist bender, so that is something teams are very interested to observe. Many teams, including the Cowboys, are taking a long, long look.

To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him anywhere, and move onto the 16th/17th selection.

* Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox are stealing the show at CB. Both appear to be late first, early second rounders, which is a shame. I do not think either will be on the board when the Niners make their pick in the second round.

* This is the time of the year where the men are separated from the boys. I have loved Brandon Graham for a long time, and he is a STUD football player. He can run around, through, underneath OT's all day long.

If the Niners knew for sure that Asamoah was going to be there in round 2 I just dont see any reason for drafting Iupati.

Staley Asamoah Heitman Racheal Bulgaga with Spiller running wild along with Frank. Now THAT I would like.
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Jan 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM ]
I reject the notion that a guard isn't worth taking with our 1st pick #13.. I agree that historically not many gaurds are chosen that highly, but if we can get a real stud, that will anchor our OL for years. I say take him.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I would take the best RT at #13, and Lupati at #17. I wouldn't feel safe having Lupati being our starting RT for this season, and would rather he play his college position. But having a guard that can move to tackle when needed would be a great asset.
Originally posted by fryet:
I would take the best RT at #13, and Lupati at #17. I wouldn't feel safe having Lupati being our starting RT for this season, and would rather he play his college position. But having a guard that can move to tackle when needed would be a great asset.

+1
Originally posted by mayo63:
Quote:
To me, this has been the choice for some time now, whether he plays RT, RG, LG. I can really care less. When did this team have a dominant, superstar OL? Make the pick at 13, play him .

Now more than ever I think he is safely there for us at #17. I think we can concentrate on BPA or RT at #13 and get our man Iupati with the next pick at #17.

would love that. bpa at 13 me personally would want spiller then take iupati with 16 or 17 depending on the toss. i want to take him not only because he has the ability to be an all pro guard but also before the cowboys take him only to make the cowboys upset then take a rt with our 2nd rd pick unless perrish cox or the best available cb is there
Originally posted by fryet:

Yeah I wouldn't feel safe starting Lupati either. Iupati on the other hand would be a great addition to the o-line.
Some notes:

Good deal. You're seeing the same thing. I was wondering if you were going to post more notes (I'm exhausted from writing all the other stuff I've been working on in regards to the draft. Spreadsheets, etc.) so I'll let you take care of the detailed Senior Bowl blogging.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
I have watched both days of the north practice, and thought Jacoby Ford didn't shine at all. For someone with that much track speed it certainly doesn't translate
to the field, and we already have Jason Hill.

I'll admit I haven't actually watched the practices, but after watching Ford for 4 years at Clemson, I don't see how you could arrive at that conclusion. Watch these game clips and tell me he isn't running at a faster clip than everyone else on the field (with the possible exception of Spiller). In fact, many people have commented on the fact that Ford often accompanied Spiller on his TD returns and looked to be faster or easily running interference while keeping up with Spiller.

Some notes:

Thanks for the analysis.

Iupati is great but I think we need to understand that he is a guard and not a tackle, center etc.

I don't think one should automatically assume that he can play anywhere on the line simply because he is such a great athlete.

I think it is better to understand that he is a guard and if we draft him he will play guard. I would much rather draft Trent Williams as our RT, then hope that Iupati can play better then Trent Williams at RT.

With that understanding in mind, I think our most glaring need is RT, not guard. Therefore, it should be our primary concern at the draft. Therefore, we should only draft Iupati if we have already drafted our RT before.

Williams at 13 and Iupati at 16/17 could work. And then we can get our return man in the second.

If we draft Iupati at 13, Trent Williams and all the top OT prospects could easily be gone by pick 16/17. I don't think a Pro-Bowl guard is worth the risk.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Some notes:

Thanks for the analysis.

Iupati is great but I think we need to understand that he is a guard and not a tackle, center etc.

I don't think one should automatically assume that he can play anywhere on the line simply because he is such a great athlete.

I think it is better to understand that he is a guard and if we draft him he will play guard. I would much rather draft Trent Williams as our RT, then hope that Iupati can play better then Trent Williams at RT.

With that understanding in mind, I think our most glaring need is RT, not guard. Therefore, it should be our primary concern at the draft. Therefore, we should only draft Iupati if we have already drafted our RT before.

Williams at 13 and Iupati at 16/17 could work. And then we can get our return man in the second.

If we draft Iupati at 13, Trent Williams and all the top OT prospects could easily be gone by pick 16/17. I don't think a Pro-Bowl guard is worth the risk.

MadDog, thanks for the analysis, too. I appreciate it as always and agree wholeheartedly on your position on Iupati.

And B, you would pigeon-toe Iupati just as an OG therefore not deserving of a mid-first round grade?

I am just as excited as MadDog about Iupati...again like so many others, he has that "IT" factor. If, and a big if, he was need to play OT on the RT, I am sure Mr. Solari can help him out. For now, stick him at LOG from day one and have Baas and Rachal battle for the next spot. Then, stick a nice ROT prospect in like Calloway, for example, who impressed me at the Shrine game. Great value, IMO.

To dovetail into the thread's essence, I just saw the North practice. I came away impressed with Iupati even more because he had never played LOT and was willing to try. For the first time in practice, give the guy a break. He can be coached, you could see the eagerness to do what it takes...man, I can see Solari lickin' his chops...I know I would...sorry for the digression, but he just is "IT" in OL. Would you spend #13 for Larry Allen? You know you would.

Heck, he may be taken by Carroll at #14, but I really think they would take a solid LOT prospect at that spot instead.

Because of that wonderful extra first round pick, we have the ability to do some great things for this team.

OL, IMO, must be two of the top four picks in this draft, two. One of the other two picks will be a RS with value at either WR/RB, both or a CB, IMO. The other will be either secondary or pass rusher.

At least, that is what I hope for now a days.

So every analyst loves him but grade him out as a late first round pick

this zone loves him and grade him as a top 15 pick

Originally posted by solidg2000:

Don't hate man!

Originally posted by solidg2000:

If by the end of the week it's obvious that he's capable of playing OT in the NFL top 20 is where he's headed.
Share 49ersWebzone