Originally posted by solidg2000:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by TX9R:
Originally posted by krizay:
I really like McCluster but 165 lbs? He's going to get killed at that weight in the NFL. He can add some weight, but then how fast would he be?

If he played for a DII school or in the WAC or something. You might have a point. But doing what he did at that size in the SEC leads me to believe he'll be ok.

doesnt he have a history of injuries in college?

Quote:
He missed six games in 2006 due to a shoulder injury involving nerve damage and another four games in 2007 due to re-injuring the same shoulder in the preseason.

Looks like 1 real injury. That got reinjured. Didn't miss any time the last 2 years.

Fair enough, but just curious, when is the last time a player that light played in the league?

This year
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3772

LOL he didnt play this year

Lol
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_lightest_football_player_in_the_NFL

i stand by my statement that he didnt play this year
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I watched the practice yesterday when I got home from work. Am I the only that noticed Iupati getting beat by Odrick on their first 1-on-1? The second time they matched up against each other, Odrick just bull rushed him. I'm sure Iupati will be fine and I still want us to draft him, but I hope he learns to extend his arms more and stay lower.

I also noticed Ducasse getting beat by Schoefield twice before O'Brien tore his ACL. It looked pretty bad

I wouldn't be mad to see Brandon Graham opposite Ahmad Brooks rushing the passer.

Oh man, I would be ecstatic!! Im still hoping for him to be around when we pick in the 2nd.
Well here are current players on a roster under 170
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11446
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
I really like McCluster but 165 lbs? He's going to get killed at that weight in the NFL. He can add some weight, but then how fast would he be?

If he played for a DII school or in the WAC or something. You might have a point. But doing what he did at that size in the SEC leads me to believe he'll be ok.

doesnt he have a history of injuries in college?

Quote:
He missed six games in 2006 due to a shoulder injury involving nerve damage and another four games in 2007 due to re-injuring the same shoulder in the preseason.

Looks like 1 real injury. That got reinjured. Didn't miss any time the last 2 years.

Fair enough, but just curious, when is the last time a player that light played in the league?

This year
http://espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3772

LOL he didnt play this year

Lol
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_is_the_lightest_football_player_in_the_NFL

i stand by my statement that he didnt play this year

First thought: Who? Second, he's a CB, not a RB, they can get away with being light moreso than any other position Again, I loved McC in college and wanted him, but man, I weigh more than he does, and I'm pretty thin.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I watched the practice yesterday when I got home from work. Am I the only that noticed Iupati getting beat by Odrick on their first 1-on-1? The second time they matched up against each other, Odrick just bull rushed him. I'm sure Iupati will be fine and I still want us to draft him, but I hope he learns to extend his arms more and stay lower.

I also noticed Ducasse getting beat by Schoefield twice before O'Brien tore his ACL. It looked pretty bad

I wouldn't be mad to see Brandon Graham opposite Ahmad Brooks rushing the passer.

Graham is definitely the most polished pass rusher on the North squad...he just made opposing lineman look like they were standing still during the drills. He showed a nice speed rush and hand placement to shed his guy, then came back on the next rep with a spin move to the inside...the OT didn't have a chance.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM ]
Just an observation...not saying Iupati can't play RT in the NFL, but I'm not entirely sure that putting him out there is the best idea. Maybe he just needs to work on his technique, but he definitely seemed to lose leverage quickly in space a few times and was tossed aside like a rag doll by Tyson Alualu on one rep as an OT. He also didn't show the quick feet necessary to hold up against edge rushers. On the other hand, he was a stone wall when lined up inside during the drills.

Again, not a conclusion by any stretch, just an observation.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Just an observation...not saying Iupati can't play RT in the NFL, but I'm not entirely sure that putting him out there is the best idea. Maybe he just needs to work on his technique, but he definitely seemed to lose leverage quickly in space a few times and was tossed aside like a rag doll by Tyson Alualu on one rep as an OT. He also didn't show the quick feet necessary to hold up against edge rushers. On the other hand, he was a stone wall when lined up inside during the drills.

I know he is the darling of the Zone but I would pass on him. I think its smarter to draft a pure OT ( Bulaga, Davis, or Williams) and Spiller in round 1. It looks like there could be a couple of solid OGs in round 2 available for us. It just seems like much better value.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

I know he is the darling of the Zone but I would pass on him. I think its smarter to draft a pure OT ( Bulaga, Davis, or Williams) and Spiller in round 1. It looks like there could be a couple of solid OGs in round 2 available for us. It just seems like much better value.

I concur. Although I wouldn't be upset if we drafted him and an OT in the 1st. Im not opposed to getting on OG in the 1st if he is a mauler.

I think we should wait to pass judgement until after the senior bowl. And who cares how well he plays at OT, we wouldn't use him at OT, we would put him at G. I actually hope he doesn't play well at OT, because that would raise his stock more.

I can see why people love this guy as a guard...he's got all the makings of a dominant OG at the next level. Just not sure yet if he's got the goods to eventually move to the outside (where the real value is) on a regular basis. There is something to be said for taking a guard like Iupati along with an OT in the 1st, so long as you can get someone like Dexter McCluster in the 2nd round.

Otherwise, I'm with you...Spiller and an OT in the 1st, OG in the 2nd.

If Jon Asamoah continues to be solid through the Senior Bowl and the Combine, we could see Iupati probably fall to the 2nd round, especially if he doesn't show the quick feet and technique to play RT. If that's the case, I'm with you on selecting Bulaga and Spiller. If Iupati does well in the game and the combine, then I would go Bulaga and Iupati.
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

I think we should wait to pass judgement until after the senior bowl. And who cares how well he plays at OT, we wouldn't use him at OT, we would put him at G. I actually hope he doesn't play well at OT, because that would raise his stock more.

How would playing bad at OT raise his stock?

If Jon Asamoah continues to be solid through the Senior Bowl and the Combine, we could see Iupati probably fall to the 2nd round, especially if he doesn't show the quick feet and technique to play RT. If that's the case, I'm with you on selecting Bulaga and Spiller. If Iupati does well in the game and the combine, then I would go Bulaga and Iupati.

I personally don't see Iupati falling to the 2nd round....he's too good of a guard for that to happen. Someone in the latter part of round 1 (Dallas, AZ, Philly, etc.) will happily scoop him up before he gets to the 2nd.

I said that playing WELL at OT would raise his stock. But it wouldn't raise his stock for us because we wouldn't play him at OT.
[ Edited by Superbowl09 on Jan 26, 2010 at 10:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Superbowl09:

clearly he meant playing well at OT would raise his stock, thats why he doesn't want him to.
Share 49ersWebzone