There are 149 users in the forums

Week 17 NFL Draft Scenarios (and who to root for)

Rules for determining draft order
The draft order is determined by first generating the order for the first round. That order is based generally on each team's regular season record, with the exception of the two Super Bowl contestants, who are placed at the end of the draft order. Tiebreakers and specifics are as follows:

Any expansion team automatically gets the first pick; if there are two expansion teams, a coin toss determines who picks first; the other team will pick first in the expansion draft.
The winners of the Super Bowl are given the last selection, and the losers the penultimate selection.
Teams that made the playoffs are then ordered by how they performed in the playoffs. The conference championship losers receive the third and fourth to last selections. Next are the four teams who lost in the divisional round, followed by the four teams who lost in the wild card round. Each team is ordered within this primary order by their regular-season record.
Teams that did not make the playoffs are ordered by their regular-season record.

Remaining ties are broken by strength of schedule. For draft order, a lower strength of schedule results in an earlier pick. If strength of schedule does not resolve a tie, division and/or conference tiebreakers may be used. If the tie still cannot be broken, a coin toss at the NFL Combine is used to determine draft order. (Note: Strength of schedule is the combined records of a team's 16 opponents, including games played against the team in question, and counting divisional opponents twice. Because of this, each team's opponents' combined wins and losses—counting a tie as a half-win, half-loss—will add up to 256, so a team whose opponents had more combined wins has a better strength of schedule.)

Think about it it's only common sense that if the playoff teams draft on how they fare in the playoffs they will all draft after non-playoff teams
Originally posted by epdavis:
Rules for determining draft order
The draft order is determined by first generating the order for the first round. That order is based generally on each team's regular season record, with the exception of the two Super Bowl contestants, who are placed at the end of the draft order. Tiebreakers and specifics are as follows:

Any expansion team automatically gets the first pick; if there are two expansion teams, a coin toss determines who picks first; the other team will pick first in the expansion draft.
The winners of the Super Bowl are given the last selection, and the losers the penultimate selection.
Teams that made the playoffs are then ordered by how they performed in the playoffs. The conference championship losers receive the third and fourth to last selections. Next are the four teams who lost in the divisional round, followed by the four teams who lost in the wild card round. Each team is ordered within this primary order by their regular-season record.
Teams that did not make the playoffs are ordered by their regular-season record.

Remaining ties are broken by strength of schedule. For draft order, a lower strength of schedule results in an earlier pick. If strength of schedule does not resolve a tie, division and/or conference tiebreakers may be used. If the tie still cannot be broken, a coin toss at the NFL Combine is used to determine draft order. (Note: Strength of schedule is the combined records of a team's 16 opponents, including games played against the team in question, and counting divisional opponents twice. Because of this, each team's opponents' combined wins and losses—counting a tie as a half-win, half-loss—will add up to 256, so a team whose opponents had more combined wins has a better strength of schedule.)

Think about it it's only common sense that if the playoff teams draft on how they fare in the playoffs they will all draft after non-playoff teams

Thanks for finding the rule -- couldn't find it.

Its been common sense for a long time that non-playoff teams should pick ahead of playoff teams, but it hasn't been the case.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Whether we win or lose our own pick will be between 11-13.

Just root like HELL for the Saints . . . that's the only game that truly matters.

With Steve Smith out I like the chances.

Except, if we lose and the Bears win we jump in front of the Bears because of SOS and pick #10.
In all likelihood, we'll be picking between 12-18. I expect Carolina to beat the Saints. New Orleans isn't going to play its starters now that they've wrapped up home field. After seeing what the Panthers did to New York.. Carolina should beat them.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
In all likelihood, we'll be picking between 12-18. I expect Carolina to beat the Saints. New Orleans isn't going to play its starters now that they've wrapped up home field. After seeing what the Panthers did to New York.. Carolina should beat them.

Think positive, Clock. New Orleans is said to not want to go into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak and may want to get some things back on track. Let's hope they can get a lead and hang on before they pull their starters. I'll be praying to the football gods.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo63:

Think positive, Clock. New Orleans is said to not want to go into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak and may want to get some things back on track. Let's hope they can get a lead and hang on before they pull their starters. I'll be praying to the football gods.

They better not, after looking invincible for so long, the moral of that team is gonna be way down going into the playoffs losing 3 games, then a bye week to let that sink in even more. The Saints have to come out with a very strong performance against Carolina, if they want any momentum going forward
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

They better not, after looking invincible for so long, the moral of that team is gonna be way down going into the playoffs losing 3 games, then a bye week to let that sink in even more. The Saints have to come out with a very strong performance against Carolina, if they want any momentum going forward

I agree, I think they'll come out looking to get back on track and look to light up the offense before they go into their bye. I think there's a good chance they win this game. Please football gods, we need Carolina to lose.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:44 AM ]
I agree, and after the backlash in Indy I think the Saints won't want the same problems with their players/fans.

Plus Steve Smith is out and Matt Moore has dinged-up ribs. I'm hoping the Saints come out on fire with the 1st teamers to build some playoff momentum along with a nice three posession lead. With Carolina's limited passing game that should be enough.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Finally, today we find out where we're picking. Come on NO.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Quote:
Below is the draft order if the favorites win (and Car and ATL also win, since there is no line):

Order Team
10 // CHI 7-9 // 492
11 // CAR 7-9 // 550*
12 // MIA 7-9 // 554*
13 // SF 8-8 // 483
14 // JAX 8-8 // 492
15 // HOU 8-8 // 517
16 // NYJ 8-8 // 525
17 // NYG 8-8 // 542
18 // TEN 8-8 // 546
19 // PIT 9-7 // 479
20 // ATL 9-7 // 508
21 // BAL 9-7 // 521
22 // DEN 9-7 // 529

This doesn't make sense, nickbradley. If you got CAR winning they would go to 8-8 and picking #18.
[ Edited by mayo63 on Jan 3, 2010 at 6:08 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
So ultimately are we rooting for the teams the OP has suggested?
So ultimately are we rooting for the teams the OP has suggested?

I think he's on the money.
Well today is shaping up as almost the worst case scenario.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
We need the Jets, Baltimore and Seattle to win or we drop a spot with each loss.
Share 49ersWebzone