LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 215 users in the forums

Bowl Week: Prospect Watch #3, the Last of 2009: 12/30 - 12/31

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
A wrap-up on the Idaho-Bowling Green game. I was unable to watch the second half of the game, so I'll have to catch it later:

I only counted one play in the entire first half where Iupati did not execute correctly, and that was on a pull in a pile of bodies where he didn't locate the incoming LB.

He pulled on nearly every run play, was able to square up on DL, LB, and even DB's, and drive them backward. Excellent use of hands to power through players, as his legged chugged forward.

Many plays where he literally threw the defender to the ground. He has to be very careful at the next level, because sometimes grabbing and throwing guys to the ground can be called holding. I saw only one time where it was questionable, but he borders on the area where ticky-tack calls can be made.

Great footwork. Exceptional footwork. He is a leg-bender, so he has a good base and doesn't lose his feet, whether going in reverse or forward. Superb balance and strength.

I thought he was exceptional, which doesn't surprise me. This is the fourth time I've seen him play in 2009, and he is consistently solid every performance. The broadcasters had a blast isolating him on replays.

As for Barnes, he is just a very productive receiver from week-to-week, and this game was no different. He reminds me of Hines Ward (minus the nasty blocking ability). Ward is surely not a burner, but is so smart on the field that he finds ways to make plays.

That being said, there are not many Hines Ward's in the game, and sometimes highly skilled college players struggle at the next level because the game is so much faster. This may be the case with Barnes, who is going to run a slow 40 (I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.60 time). Because of these straightline speed limitations, I think Barnes will have a difficult time being drafted any earlier than the top 80 picks.

Because you have been so high on the kid I did single him out last night (which wasn't to hard) and I was impressed. Very quick and has a very solid frame, I would like to know his body fat percentage...I'm guessing he's a lot of muscle.

The one thing that I did notice to nit pick was push after pop. When he was pulling he was locating defenders like you said very quickly and was engaging with a full head of steam. You could hear the pop so you know he is a real thumper, but matched against the bigger guys he wasn't overly dominating them. Once he made initial contact both would stay fighting but it reminded me of 2 rams butting heads....once they hit they both are stopped in their tracks. It seemed that if the defender anticipated him coming and buckled down a bit he could take the shot without being forced back or pancaked. Granted this wasn't all the time but a guy his size I was expecting him to be bulldozing people once he was able to pick up a little speed.

Overall I was very impressed with him and hope we get to see him at the Senior Bowl.

I have no doubt that he will be at the Senior Bowl. I just hope the coaches let him play OT as well as guard.

Why do you think he isn't/hasn't been playing OT to begin with...?

Not sure. I'm sure he could play anywhere on that line.
A big note on Oklahoma playing today:
Fans eager to watch top prospect, and potential 49ers draftee, OT Trent Williams, might be disappointed. As stated a couple of days ago, due to injuries on the Sooners OL, Williams will be starting at CENTER today. So, we will not be able to see him in action on the edge.

While Williams is possibly the most versatile OL in this draft, along with Mike Iupati, I think people really want to watch him in game action at OT one more time this season. Williams has held up well as the Sooners LT in 2009 after playing RT in 2008 (Phil Loadholt played LT for Oklahoma last year). Williams is also considered the best blocking OT in the draft, and a near certain top 12 pick. Which means, we probably are not going to see him the board when we pick, although the draft is always odd.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Dec 31, 2009 at 6:14 AM ]
Some quick blogging on the Oklahoma-Stanford game:

Trent Williams did indeed start at center, and in the first series was in the shotgun for most of the snaps. Very clean snaps and shut down all DT's in the passing lanes.

First snap was a run play. He released at the snap to the second level, and completely de-cleated the middle linebacker, number 11. It was....devastating, and beautiful.
So what do you guys think so far of the Mizzou/Navy game and the Stanford/OK game? Danario Alexander is sick.
A terrible game to end Eric Berry's college career...

Any of our experts have any info on Jason Worilds?!?
[ Edited by KezarLivin on Dec 31, 2009 at 7:42 PM ]
Some quick blogging on the Oklahoma-Stanford game:

Trent Williams did indeed start at center, and in the first series was in the shotgun for most of the snaps. Very clean snaps and shut down all DT's in the passing lanes.

First snap was a run play. He released at the snap to the second level, and completely de-cleated the middle linebacker, number 11. It was....devastating, and beautiful.

Very nice
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
A terrible game to end Eric Berry's college career...

Any of our experts have any info on Jason Worilds?!?

I saw his bowl game, he looked pretty good pressuring the QB, I am no expert but here are the recaps I have plagiarized from around the interweb:

Jason Worilds DE Virginia Tech 6'2" 245 4.75 Junior

"pass rushing OLB/DE, coils and fires off ball with good technique and footwork, quickness to reach edge, added power vs run but effective when he reads it off snap, explosive first step, NFL pass rush moves"
This LSU-Penn State is old school muddy and sloppy. They are really slugging it out, good game to see the LBers.
Holy crap . . . Patrick Robinson has some wheels !!!
Share 49ersWebzone