There are 331 users in the forums

NEW MOCK 2.0 based on MD's Big Board

Based on MadDog's latest Big Board of the top 100 players. The first is with a trade in the first round and the second option has no trades. Let me know what you think! I just want the niners to be back on top where they belong!

FA: G Stephen Neal or best G available AND a new O-line coach.

2010 NFL DRAFT

1. A. C.J. Spiller RB/KR Clemson

- At #12, Berry, is gone, so we must go BPA on this pick and I believe it is Spiller. On the surface this looks like a luxury pick, which it is, but it also fills many needs. Spiller will return kicks from day one and will be a change-of-pace back for Gore. He is excellent in pass-protection as well and a perfect fit for our new spread offense. He can extend Gore's career and provides excellent insurance should Gore go down with an injury. Coffee won't cut it. If we pass on this guy we will regret it. The best KR in the draft.

- TRADE DOWN from pick #15 with New England for pick #25 and pick up one of their 3 second round picks at #57. (The deal works perfectly according to the draft value chart --> pick 15 is worth 1050 points and pick #25 and pick #57 total 1050 points). With three second round picks, New England can afford to trade up to get a playmaker to help retool their offense and get an additional weapon for Brady (Dez Bryant maybe or some help for their defense - maybe the NT from Tennessee to eventually replace Wilfork?). If we have to sweeten the pot and throw in a 3rd or 4th next year then we do it.

1. B. Bruce Campbell RT Maryland / Charles Brown RT USC

- Ok, here is where we need to address our biggest need at RT. After Campbell and Charles Brown, the talent at RT drops considerably, so we act now to get our new starter on the right side of the line. Along with the G in FA, our line now looks pretty decent. If Campbell is gone we select Brown. Problem hopefully solved.

2. A. Jerry Hughes OLB TCU / Austen Lane OLB Murray State

- Brooks has had a couple solid games, but we still need to accumulate pass-rushing talent to rotate in with Brooks, Lawson, and Haralson. Hughes or Lane right now are probably better than Lawson and Haralson at getting after the QB, and are definite upgrades and future starters at OLB. Lane, in particular, is in the mold of a Demarcus Ware at 6'6. We can't be fooled into passing up one of these two talents just because Brooks had a couple decent games. Here we take whichever one drops to us.

2. B. Nate Allen FS South Florida

- The next best FS after Berry and Thomas, and excels in pass coverage, giving us that ballhawking safety we need. This guy is really good. Goldson is good and can hit and make plays, but often takes bad angles on deep pass plays, a liability we can't have at the back end of our defense. While Allen gets up to speed, Goldson stays at FS, and if Lewis goes down from another concussion, we move Goldson to SS and move Allen into the starting lineup at FS. Drafting Allen allows us to cut Roman, which will not be a bad thing. If Nate Allen is not available, we take Parrish Cox CB/PR Oklahoma State here and Robert Johnson FS Utah in the third round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wz5IUfyZjQ

3. Javier Arenas CB/PR Alabama

- With Spiller we got the best KR in the draft, and with Arenas we now acquire the best PR in the draft, as well as some needed depth in the secondary in case one of our top corners goes down again to injury. I never want to see Keith Smith on the field ever again and have a repeat of the Seattle game. So our PR issues are solved with this pick, as well as CB depth. Not sure if he ever projects to a starting CB in the NFL, but we NEED his punt-returning ability on special teams. If we can get another punt-returner in FA, then McCourty from Rutgers might be the better option, as he is faster and may be able to develop into a #1 or #2 corner in the future.

4. A. Marcus Easley, WR Connecticut

- He is 6'2 (a poster here said he was friends with Easley and that he is 6'4 not 6'2) 216 pounds and runs a sub 4.5 40. + OTC likes him and that is good enough for me this late in the draft. I really wanted Gilyard but Easley is a nice consolation, and we need more weapons to make our offense even more explosive. Add Easley and Spiller to this offense with Davis and Crabtree and this offense could become scary (pending Alex Smith's continued improvement). Will fill out our WR corp with Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, and Easley.

4. B. John Jerry G Mississippi

-trade a 6th with our 5th to move into the end of the fourth round and snag Jerry. Not sure how well he fits into our new spread offense, and if not just substitute the best G available for depth.

7. Chris Marinelli OT Stanford

- competes with Boone for backup RT spot on the roster.

Depth Chart

QB - Smith, Davis, Hill
RB - Gore, Spiller, Coffee, Robinson, Norris
WR - Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, Hill, Easley
TE - Davis, Walker, Finley
OL - Staley, Neal, Heitmann, Rachal, Campbell or Brown
Sims, Baas, Wallace, Jerry, Marinelli/Boone, Wragge

DL - Soap, Franklin, Smith, McDonald, Balmer, Evans
LB - Hughes or Lane, Willis, Spikes, Lawson, Haralson, McKillop, Brooks
CB- Clements, Spencer, Brown, Arenas, Goldson, Allen, Lewis, Smith, Hudson

LS - Jennings
K - Nedney
P - Lee

With OT Anthony Davis gone before our first pick, we must hope CJ Spiller is available or we will end up reaching for a RT.

This draft gives us the best KR and PR in the nation as well, hopefully solving our special teams woes and giving us some explosive playmakers in this area.

WITH NO TRADE IN THE FIRST ROUND

1. CJ Spiller RB
1. Bruce Campbell OT / Brian Bulaga OT
2. Jerry Hughes OLB / Austen Lane OLB
3. Robert Johnson FS
4. Marcus Easley WR
4. John Jerry G
7. Chris Martinelli RT

Thoughts on either of these two options?
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM ]
I like it man. I'd be very pleased with this draft. Javier Arenas loses value for me personally if we get Spiller. I think we need to go for a more lockdown corner earlier in the draft. But hell, I wouldn't complain at all if this was our draft.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I like it man. I'd be very pleased with this draft. Javier Arenas loses value for me personally if we get Spiller. I think we need to go for a more lockdown corner earlier in the draft. But hell, I wouldn't complain at all if this was our draft.

If this we're to happen It would be a great draft. I'd definately take Spiller he is a good kid with great talent. He answers all the questions in terms of kr/rb that can break the big one. Whatever we do I say we take a chance with that extra first round pick. Spiller/Best/Dez one of those three guys.
OTs have a tendancy to rise on draft day, which means the top ones (Russell Okung, Anthony Davis and Trent Williams) might all be gone by the time our 1st pick comes along. I'd bet good money that our 1st pick will either be Brian Bulaga (if he declares) or Bruce Campbell, and both will go quickly so I'm not sure we'd be able to trade back and still get someone good.

Charles Brown might be available if we traded back, but I'm not sold on him. Since we're likely to go OT early, we'd be better off selecting the best one available with that first pick (just my opinion).
I'm all in on this mock draft! The only thhing I would change is maybe look at that Norwood kid from South Carolina (I believe?). He has good pass rush skills.
[ Edited by PTulini on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM ]
Originally posted by GoFD74:
OTs have a tendancy to rise on draft day, which means the top ones (Russell Okung, Anthony Davis and Trent Williams) might all be gone by the time our 1st pick comes along. I'd bet good money that our 1st pick will either be Brian Bulaga (if he declares) or Bruce Campbell, and both will go quickly so I'm not sure we'd be able to trade back and still get someone good.

Charles Brown might be available if we traded back, but I'm not sold on him. Since we're likely to go OT early, we'd be better off selecting the best one available with that first pick (just my opinion).

True but maybe Sing will roll the dice on Marcus mcniel.
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:

True but maybe Sing will roll the dice on Marcus mcniel.

The draft will definitely change dramatically if we sign a vet...Pashos might even be a consideration as someone to re-sign. But I think Scoty is wanting to draft a young guy to plug in for the long run opposite Staley...just my hunch.

Ghost, how about no trade then and Spiller with our first pick and then just grab Bulaga or Campbell with the second pick at around 15? There is much more risk that Spiller is taken between our first and second pick than Bulaga and Campbell both being gone by our second pick in the first round. What do you think? I think Spiller is too valuable to pass on when we can get one of the two tackles at around 15. Wouldn't that be better value?
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Dec 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM ]
Originally posted by ezekiel40:

Ghost, how about no trade then and Spiller with our first pick and then just grab Bulaga or Campbell with the second pick at around 15? There is much more risk that Spiller is taken between our first and second pick than Bulaga and Campbell both being gone by our second pick in the first round. What do you think? I think Spiller is too valuable to pass on when we can get one of the two tackles at around 15. Better value.

Me personally, I would definitely do that. I just have a feeling that McSingletary will want to lock up their RT first, so I see them going Campbell or Bulaga with their first 1st rounder, then BPA.
awesome mock man. i usually don't like mocks with trades because 100% of the time it never happens, but this is nice

Originally posted by PTulini:
I'm all in on this mock draft! The only thhing I would change is maybe look at that Norwood kid from South Carolina (I believe?). He has good pass rush skills.

This is the kid I'm talking about... Eric Norwood

• ninerfan1987
  • Info N/A
CJ Spiller will add the dynamic we need to take us to the next level on offense..

CJ Spiller
CJ Spiller
CJ Spiller
CJ Spiller
CJ Spiller
CJ Spiller!

Looks pretty good to me.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
McClueless would never draft Spiller.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Your dreaming if you think they'd take Spiller. But, your not alone as I want them to take Dez Bryant.
Share 49ersWebzone