LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 171 users in the forums

Draft a QB in the 1st

So what would be wrong with drafting a QB with our first pick? Just because we draft a QB in the first round doesnt mean Smith won't start. Smith has to understand that this is the NFL and no ones job is safe. He must know he is under the gun. The way I see it it makes more sense to draft a 1 rounder now than a year from now if Smith flops out. Look at the positives.

1. We dont have to start the first rounder right away. So he has time to develop and learn the playbook.

2. We have two middle to high first round draft picks this year.

3. Puts pressure on Smith to put up or shut up.

4. If Smith plays lights out and proves to be the guy we can probably trade the rookie to a diffrent team for value.

I just dont see the logic in drafting a rookie in 2011 if Smith doesn't work out. Our team needs insurance and this path makes the most sense for all the reasons listed.

Will Alex ever be a franchise QB? I dont think so, but who knows. But why is it so wrong to draft a QB with a top pick?
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Dec 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM ]
there isnt a qb really worth taking with our #1...
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Do you always have to ruin my threads with logic....
wait a season see how smith does with the entire offseason and spring under his belt. Unless Clausen falls to one of our two picks forgetaboutit. No one else is worth it imo.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

This is why not
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Unlike the majority of the Zone, I liked the progress that I saw from Smith this year.

If Bradford were to slip to us due to concerns about his shoulder, I would snatch him up quickly and let him rehab/develop under Smith for a year. Unfortunately, Locker not declaring for the draft makes this scenario next to impossible.

Otherwise, I'd go Pioli and draft a prospect early second day and see how he pans out in camp. We have a prospect in Davis and a backup in Hill, but competition is a good thing and we can afford a flyer in the second day.
I'm not talking about a flyer. We need to target a top talent with one of our top three picks. Alex is by no means a sure shot as 99 percent of fans (including his supporters) would say. If Alex turns out to be a flop and we draft a rookie in 2011 we are probably looking at two more crap seasons and possibly damaging the rookies confidence. To draft a "possible" replacement now makes the most sense.

No perennial good teams sit around and wait to fill their needs when they come up. Good teams are proactive. They always have a plan B.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I'm not talking about a flyer. We need to target a top talent with one of our top three picks. Alex is by no means a sure shot as 99 percent of fans (including his supporters) would say. If Alex turns out to be a flop and we draft a rookie in 2011 we are probably looking at two more crap seasons and possibly damaging the rookies confidence. To draft a "possible" replacement now makes the most sense.

No perennial good teams sit around and wait to fill their needs when they come up. Good teams are proactive. They always have a plan B.

Which QB that is considered a "top talent" will likely be available with our first 3 picks? Claussen and Bradford are off the board on every mock I've seen. Who's left that is not "taking a flyer"? Mccoy and Tebow both look to be risky early round raft picks. Locker not declaring killed our chances at a top QB prospect.
Originally posted by Nuns:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Which QB that is considered a "top talent" will likely be available with our first 3 picks? Claussen and Bradford are off the board on every mock I've seen. Who's left that is not "taking a flyer"? Mccoy and Tebow both look to be risky early round raft picks. Locker not declaring killed our chances at a top QB prospect.

I'm not sure. If it is as you say then we are screwed once again. I thought this was suppose to be the year for good QBs.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
WE NEED a QB. THERE IS QB's worthy of our 1st pick. That is assuming they are there when we pick.

The qbs in this draft are slowly starting to suck.

I thought Bradford would be a stud going into this season but his shoulder injury really scares me now. What made him great before wasn't his decent arm it was his great accuracy. With a shoulder injury that puts that into question - as well as his durability going forward. We saw what a bum shoulder did to Alex's accuracy.

The only other guy I liked in this draft was Jake Locker and he won't even be coming out now. Clausen is just ok imo and will go before our pick anyways.

....so who else is left for a first rounder?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

I thought Bradford would be a stud going into this season but his shoulder injury really scares me now. What made him great before wasn't his decent arm it was his great accuracy. With a shoulder injury that puts that into question - as well as his durability going forward. We saw what a bum shoulder did to Alex's accuracy.

The only other guy I liked in this draft was Jake Locker and he won't even be coming out now. Clausen is just ok imo and will go before our pick anyways.

What? Alex never had accuracy. You're blaming Alex inaccuracies on a shoulder injury?

Don't want Bradford because of a shoulder injury? Roethlisberger had the same injury last year in September and they won the Superbowl. Ben looks good this year again as well.

If he's medically cleared he'll be fine.
I am not convinced Alex is the guy, but there is nobody in the draft I like personally. Doesn't mean there isn't a franchise guy, as I am not nearly qualified to make the assessment, just none that I like
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by genus49:

What? Alex never had accuracy. You're blaming Alex inaccuracies on a shoulder injury?

Don't want Bradford because of a shoulder injury? Roethlisberger had the same injury last year in September and they won the Superbowl. Ben looks good this year again as well.

If he's medically cleared he'll be fine.

Take a look at Alex in Utah. He had very good accuracy so I don't know where you're getting your facts from. I'll be curious how Bradford is cleared.

I don't recall Ben having a separated shoulder
[ Edited by genus49 on Dec 28, 2009 at 8:58 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Only QB I'd take in the 1st would be Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen, and I really doubt any one of those two fall to us. Rams, Redskins and Seahawks all look like good suitors for both of these QB's, shoot Buffalo could also pull the trigger too. But if none of these QB's fall to us, then I hope either Dan LeFevour or Tim Hiller are drafted by us.
Share 49ersWebzone