LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Prospect Watch Thread Two: Bowl Week of 12/26-12/29

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by PTulini:
OTC, just curious... What are your thoughts on Clemson's Ricky Sapp? I just heard ESPN's Todd McShay say Sapp will be a rush LB in the NFL and he projects Sapp to go in the late 1st-early 2nd Round. Will he draw any interest from the 49ers? In my opinion, you can never have too many pass rushers!

Sapp is a speedy freak, and his bowl game will have a big impact on his value to scouts. He should clock in the 4.5's at around 6-3 245. He doesn't have great bulk so he's not really going to bull-rush tackles in the NFL, they'll just wash him out, which is why I might be weary of trying to use Sapp as a WILL. He'd probably backup Manny at SAM.

If he's there in the 2nd, sure, nab him. But I wouldn't trade up for Sapp. There are a lot of great pass rushers, including small school prospect Austen Lane, that I would be happy to have fall in our laps in the second. We need to focus on BPA. If Michigan's Donovan Warren is there, he could be the pick too.

There are so many good players this year that should be available at crucial positions of need for the 49ers. Like last year, I'll have my chart ready for draft day, looking at all the possible options for us, as well as keeping track of who the BPA's are.

Can I watch it with you?
I saw a few minutes of the Clemson game and saw a screen to Spiller. He goes from 0 to 60 in about 1 sec. Crazy burst and speed.
The reason I'm not a big fan of Ricky Sapp is because of exactly what's happening tonight. Simply unable to fight off blocks. I don't think he's been anywhere near the QB today.

Crickets. He's just way too raw right now. I hope for him that he decides to return to school.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The reason I'm not a big fan of Ricky Sapp is because of exactly what's happening tonight. Simply unable to fight off blocks. I don't think he's been anywhere near the QB today.

Crickets. He's just way too raw right now. I hope for him that he decides to return to school.

Sapp is a senior. For whatever reason, he's like Gaines Adams in that he's never added anything other than a speed rush. It's very frustrating. We've got another manchild at DE in Daquan Bowers who isn't hitting his full potential either.

It sure would be nice if our suckass OL would open some holes for Spiller.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I need Clemson to win

Why is that?
Spiller is ridiculously fast.
Again, a big play by Conner, who looks much bigger than his listed size, and then Spiller caps off the drive with a TD.

Biggest loser tonight: DE Ricky Sapp.

Biggest winner(s): OLB Kavell Conner, RB Spiller (who is playing with turf toe, too).

Jacoby Ford has been a little better than Trevard Lindley tonight. Thomas Austin has been up and down against Corey Peters.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 27, 2009 at 8:21 PM ]
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Spiller is ridiculously fast.

Lightning fast!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I need Clemson to win

Why is that?

picked them to win and ranked it 33rd in confidence points! bwaaaaa
Game over. Clemson wins.

Key stats:

Spiller - 68 rushing yards with 1 TD, 57 receiving yards, 2 kick returns for 47 yards.
Kavell Conner - 1 sack, 1 FF on the night.

Again, a big play by Conner, who looks much bigger than his listed size, and then Spiller caps off the drive with a TD.

Biggest loser tonight: DE Ricky Sapp.

Biggest winner(s): OLB Kavell Conner, RB Spiller (who is playing with turf toe, too).

Jacoby Ford has been a little better than Trevard Lindley tonight. Thomas Austin has been up and down against Corey Peters.

I expect Spiller to shine during the combine. And someone is going to be enamored with his speed and play-making abilities to nab him before our mid-round picks.
I would say Deandre McDaniel also helped his stock tremendously tonight. In terms of talent, he's light years ahead of Conner. I'm glad Conner had a great game, but he's not a NFL backer. DMac is a first round safety if he stays for his senior season, and I'd snatch him up with our second round pick if he comes out this year. Kid is a ballhawk (2nd in NCAA in INTs) who loves to come up and hit.

Sapp did have one of the plays of the night by running down the QB and stopping him short of the first down marker on fourth down in the fourth quarter.
Game over. Clemson wins.

Key stats:

Spiller - 68 rushing yards with 1 TD, 57 receiving yards, 2 kick returns for 47 yards.
Kavell Conner - 1 sack, 1 FF on the night.

I've watched Spiller play at least 4 times this season and can't believe his play. Too bad we need a tackle and cornerback because I sure would like a shot at him. I wanted Maclin last year as our kick returner/backup receiver and Spiller has crazy ability at his size that reminds me of Maclin.
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:
I would say Deandre McDaniel also helped his stock tremendously tonight. In terms of talent, he's light years ahead of Conner. I'm glad Conner had a great game, but he's not a NFL backer. DMac is a first round safety if he stays for his senior season, and I'd snatch him up with our second round pick if he comes out this year. Kid is a ballhawk (2nd in NCAA in INTs) who loves to come up and hit.

Sapp did have one of the plays of the night by running down the QB and stopping him short of the first down marker on fourth down in the fourth quarter.

Oh believe Conner has a future in the NFL. Conner will be drafted, perhaps in the middle rounds, and if it is by a 3-4 team, it'll likely be for an inside linebacker/ST's role like the Ravens use Dannell Ellerbe for. Ellerbe is listed at 6-1 228, (he measured in at 6-1 236 at the combine, just about exactly the same as Conner is.)
Originally posted by TheBlueHell:

Oh believe Conner has a future in the NFL. Conner will be drafted, perhaps in the middle rounds, and if it is by a 3-4 team, it'll likely be for an inside linebacker/ST's role like the Ravens use Dannell Ellerbe for. Ellerbe is listed at 6-1 228, (he measured in at 6-1 236 at the combine, just about exactly the same as Conner is.)

Well, I'll honestly be shocked if he's drafted there or sticks in the league. He's solid, but not flashy in any regard. I've followed the kid since he broke the Virginia high school rushing record, and I'd love to see him do well, but I don't think he's a NFL backer. He had a hell of a game tonight, though. He's always been solid. He just rarely makes plays like he did tonight.
Share 49ersWebzone