LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

OTC's Talent Tier Board

Originally posted by 23zack80:
How do you see Colt McCoy as a first round talent?

It's more his clutch plays and game-winning drives that have him breaking through to hang on the fringe. As I stated previously, McCoy is barely hanging on the thread as a first rounder in my eyes.

His year has not resembled a Top-20 pick at all, so if he gets demolished in the National Championship as expected, my grade for him will immediately drop.
Hey OTC, what do you think about Myron Lewis CB-Vanderbilt? Is he more of apress type corner that our defense could use if we had two good safeties with range? I do like his height for our division foes. Thanks ahead of time.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Hey OTC, what do you think about Myron Lewis CB-Vanderbilt? Is he more of apress type corner that our defense could use if we had two good safeties with range? I do like his height for our division foes. Thanks ahead of time.

Lewis can certainly hit, and generally wraps up very well, but he might have to move to safety because he's not very smooth in his back-pedal and doesn't have the quick turning hips that teams look for in cornerbacks. His size and speed might still have him go in the middle rounds, but his lateral agility as well as a bit of an injury history, coupled with the other things I mentioned are all things that could hinder his ability to be selected before the 4th round.

If we drafted him, I hope we don't make the same mistake trying him at Corner like we did with Reggie. Just convert him to Safety to begin with and groom him. However, I'd rather not draft a project. Go after Robert Johnson, Nate Allen, Darrell Stuckey or Kam Chancellor (Probably best suited for SS) -- all true safeties.
what about estes from hawaii at center?
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by footballxpaul:

I'd have to say 6th or 7th round pick. Not real big, 6'2" 295 lbs, good pass blocker, but below average run blocker. Actually, every time Hawaii ran the ball big gains come from off tackle. Never really seen Estes open up big lanes down the middle or man handle D-lineman.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by tohara3:

Lewis can certainly hit, and generally wraps up very well, but he might have to move to safety because he's not very smooth in his back-pedal and doesn't have the quick turning hips that teams look for in cornerbacks. His size and speed might still have him go in the middle rounds, but his lateral agility as well as a bit of an injury history, coupled with the other things I mentioned are all things that could hinder his ability to be selected before the 4th round.

If we drafted him, I hope we don't make the same mistake trying him at Corner like we did with Reggie. Just convert him to Safety to begin with and groom him. However, I'd rather not draft a project. Go after Robert Johnson, Nate Allen, Darrell Stuckey or Kam Chancellor (Probably best suited for SS) -- all true safeties.

Thanks OTC! I think I would rather just pickup Robert Johnson at safety.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I'd have to say 6th or 7th round pick. Not real big, 6'2" 295 lbs, good pass blocker, but below average run blocker. Actually, every time Hawaii ran the ball big gains come from off tackle. Never really seen Estes open up big lanes down the middle or man handle D-lineman.

Yep, Kolohe's got this one right. Not much more to add really. Smart player, but not a guy I think the 49ers would need here, really.

He's no Cody Wallace, but if we draft another center, I'm going to hurt somebody really, really bad.
Originally posted by strickac:

He's no Cody Wallace, but if we draft another center, I'm going to hurt somebody really, really bad.

Haha I hear you there.

he was rated the best center in the country before the college season started and didnt do anything bad to change that imo, i dont think he will go first day but really you think he will fall to 6th or 7th.

Yep, Kolohe's got this one right. Not much more to add really. Smart player, but not a guy I think the 49ers would need here, really.

agreed
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

he was rated the best center in the country before the college season started and didnt do anything bad to change that imo, i dont think he will go first day but really you think he will fall to 6th or 7th.

Trust me, Brett Romberg was rated the same before the 2003 season, the U went to a National Championship and had one of the most dominant running games and Romberg wasn't even drafted. Estes is not as strong of a blocker the way Samson Satele was on Hawaii's O-line.
Everson Griffen officially declares: http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=4773500
Brian Price has declared: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/12/ucla-football-brian-price-nfl-draft.html

List has been edited to add DT Price.
Brian Price has declared: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2009/12/ucla-football-brian-price-nfl-draft.html

List has been edited to add DT Price.

Love the way Price plays the game....to bad we won't be interested given he's more of a 4-3 DT.
Share 49ersWebzone