LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2009.

Originally posted by genus49:
Not bad...I personally prefer Jerry Hughes but would have no problems with Graham.

Love Bulaga.

And any mock offseason that has us changing OL coaches is A+ for me :D

Pretty much agree with this statement all round.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
great, thought out mock. i like all of the picks and would feel confident that we are at least starting to put together an NFC West winner.

OTC, honestly do you believe that Scot will go after a top FA this year? I'm not sure about the CBA agreements and whatnot, but I'm just afraid that we aren't going to break the bank on any FA O-Linemen. I have been waiting for this signing for a couple of years now (since Larry Allen) and have just seen us going for kind of over-the-hill players.

Also, if CJ Spiller were available in the early 2nd round, would you say that we could try and target him?

Yes, I think Scotty will go after FAs this year. What will be available remains to be seen. We could use FS, CB, OG, OT

We have a number of our people to sign - Franklin, Willis, Davis, Pashos perhaps a reworked contract for A. Smith.

Then we need help in the draft, which will be effected by our FA signings. Spiller will not be available in the second round. We need OG, OT, Punt Returner, OLB-pass rushing, Speed, CB, FS, ILB, C. So we have lots of people to draft, and get starters in training. Lots of stuff needs to happen this offseason.

That's correct. Spiller is a 1st round lock.

As for my preference on OG's. I'd say..

1. Stephen Neal
2. Logan Mankins
3. Charlie Johnson
4. Colledge
5. Jean-Gilles

Seubert is a FA? I already know I want Stephen Neal on this team. I don't think Mankins or some of the other guys will be FAs though when we got to no cap.

Whoops. Take him off. I was looking at the wrong list. He was extended through 2012. But the others will give you my top 5. I would especially love to land the Colts' Charlie Johnson. He had been a little banged up last year, but he's a really solid guy who we could sign to play either Guard or Tackle and he'd upgrade both easily.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 10, 2009 at 14:57:20 ]
I am a huge hawkeyes fan andhaving watched every game Baluga played in his career, he took a step back this season. He missed a few games with a medical condition(thyroid), and was nowhere near as dominant as the season before. He had problems with speedrushers and his runblocking was average at best this season. Way overhyped/
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
I am a huge hawkeyes fan andhaving watched every game Baluga played in his career, he took a step back this season. He missed a few games with a medical condition(thyroid), and was nowhere near as dominant as the season before. He had problems with speedrushers and his runblocking was average at best this season. Way overhyped/

It's still early and I believe he can recover, especially by the combine, and re-earn the respect of fans like yourself with a terrific performance in Iowa's bowl game. He does well there, he goes in the top 15. Especially with a strong combine.

Bulaga is much better in space than Anthony Davis, and could obviously play on both sides, as opposed to Trent Williams. The only player I see who could give Bulaga a run for being the 2nd tackle selected is perhaps Jason Fox if he can somehow make a meteoric rise, but I expect Fox to be a late 1st-Early 2nd rounder right now.

It's still early and I believe he can recover, especially by the combine, and re-earn the respect of fans like yourself with a terrific performance in Iowa's bowl game. He does well there, he goes in the top 15. Especially with a strong combine.

Bulaga is much better in space than Anthony Davis, and could obviously play on both sides, as opposed to Trent Williams. The only player I see who could give Bulaga a run for being the 2nd tackle selected is perhaps Jason Fox if he can somehow make a meteoric rise, but I expect Fox to be a late 1st-Early 2nd rounder right now.

He obviously has the talent and Ferentz knows how to prepare his O-line players for the NFL.

I think the time off from the medical condition really effected his play early on. He did show flashes of dominance later in the season.
Carolina most likely will lose the rest of there games, with such a tough schedule. I expect there pick to be a top 10 pick. With that type of pick you want a player that's going to be an instant impact not just good enough to be a solid starter.
Originally posted by tmg808:
Carolina most likely will lose the rest of there games, with such a tough schedule. I expect there pick to be a top 10 pick. With that type of pick you want a player that's going to be an instant impact not just good enough to be a solid starter.

Which is why the projected pick there is Bulaga, who would start from day one.
What are we going to do about our NT issue.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:

resign franklin...

resign franklin...

Exactly. Draft a NT too in the 4th or 5th. There are at least 10 of them in this draft.

Originally posted by Spoonerism:

resign franklin...

Exactly. Draft a NT too in the 4th or 5th. There are at least 10 of them in this draft.

10? Not exactly. There are far less 3-4 capable NT's.

The only viable NT candidates are the following players:

Dan Williams-Tennessee, likely a first or second round pick now.
Terrance Cody-Alabama, late first to late second round pick.
Terrell Troup-Central Florida, middle rounder.

And that's about it. There are a few others that are 7th-UDFA guys not really worth using a pick on.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

resign franklin...

10? Not exactly. There are far less 3-4 capable NT's.

The only viable NT candidates are the following players:

Dan Williams-Tennessee, likely a first or second round pick now.
Terrance Cody-Alabama, late first to late second round pick.
Terrell Troup-Central Florida, middle rounder.

And that's about it. There are a few others that are 7th-UDFA guys not really worth using a pick on.

I like Williams and Cody a lot. Everyone knew about Cody but I liked Williams since the beginning of the season. Everyone slept on him BAD.

Are you serious? I thought he was pretty accurately graded as a 2nd rounder for sure...with my hopes of getting him if we passed on OT in the first and missed out in FA. Say it aint so OTC!
Originally posted by jreff22:

Are you serious? I thought he was pretty accurately graded as a 2nd rounder for sure...with my hopes of getting him if we passed on OT in the first and missed out in FA. Say it aint so OTC!

I wouldn't say anyone is a "lock" anywhere right now, just yet. Fox has serious potential to rise. He could just as well fall but I don't really see that happening. Chances are, he's not going to rise all that much, but I'm just saying I think if there's anyone who could.. he'd be the guy.
I only see Cleveland and Kansas City as potential suitors for Eric Berry. Kansas City has pressing needs on their OLine and Cleveland is picking way too high to grab Berry. I don't see Carolina winning another game and I think we'll be picking at the 6 spots with our first pick.

So why not Berry?
Share 49ersWebzone