LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2009.

I saw Graham play a couple times and he'a a flat out beast. I'd love to have him on this team. Not sure about a few other things though. Jones isn't going to get cut IMO, he got injured and they signed him to a 5 year deal, it's not his fault. Then with Hill he couldn't be used to get the ball down the field. Everyone wants to axe him based on what he did as a punt returner but he wasn't signed to play punt returner he was signed to play WR and I think we'll start to see him play better as he gets a bit more time on the field. He was Smith's best target in TC. It's an overreaction to say he should get cut because of an injury and Hill's inability to throw deep and that we don't have a punt returner so we play him out of position.

Not sure I like Bulaga in the first. He's probably worth the pick but to take a RT with a mid 1st kind of bothers me. I mean there's going to be a bunch of good skill players since there might be a rookie salary cap in the next few years and all the juniors are going to be entering. I just feel like we should be able to get a RT in FA, or the 2nd or 3rd round. Plus your other picks are "mobile maulers" I guess you might call them, but I'm more of a fan of the lighter olineman. Those are the OL I would like to see us draft. Draft a few of those and develop them. Our only 2 decent olineman are Heitman and Staley and I think both of them are under 320.

I'm a big fan of Brian Jackson in the third though. He's a big corner who has made some plays this year and is a decent athlete. Tough player.

[ Edited by WillistheWall on Dec 8, 2009 at 23:50:48 ]
OTC, where do you have Earl Thomas going FS from TEXAS.
Originally posted by thuglife619:

Thomas is returning for next season. He would get a 1st-round grade by me, but he's not entering this year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Thomas is returning for next season. He would get a 1st-round grade by me, but he's not entering this year.

He's not???? He's on Kiper's big board. Man that's really dissapointing for me, he was in my mock draft and I think he's the ball hawk we need.

seriously? i hadnt heard anything, did he announce it?
Really like what i'm hearing about Brandon Graham. Would be nice if we could get him & Spiller in the first & get a RT in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

Announced last week.

Quote:
Texas safety Earl Thomas will return for his junior season next year and not leave early for the NFL, he said Tuesday night. Thomas, who is a third-year sophomore and therefore eligible for the NFL draft, said he hadn’t given the idea any thought because he and his teammates are focused on the Big 12 football championship game against Nebraska on Saturday. He was voted to the All-Big 12 first team by the league coaches on Tuesday. Asked he was planning on coming back next year, Thomas said, “Yes, sir.” Asked if he thought another collegiate season would help him prepare for the next level, he said, “Yes, sir.” Thomas said he has not discussed any NFL plans with either his position coach, Duane Akina, or Mack Brown, but the head coach said the Texas staff files the paperwork to determine the draft value of all the Longhorn players who are eligible for the draft. - Kirk Bohls, The Austin American-Statesman

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 9, 2009 at 17:14:44 ]

Announced last week.

Quote:
Texas safety Earl Thomas will return for his junior season next year and not leave early for the NFL, he said Tuesday night. Thomas, who is a third-year sophomore and therefore eligible for the NFL draft, said he hadn’t given the idea any thought because he and his teammates are focused on the Big 12 football championship game against Nebraska on Saturday. He was voted to the All-Big 12 first team by the league coaches on Tuesday. Asked he was planning on coming back next year, Thomas said, “Yes, sir.” Asked if he thought another collegiate season would help him prepare for the next level, he said, “Yes, sir.” Thomas said he has not discussed any NFL plans with either his position coach, Duane Akina, or Mack Brown, but the head coach said the Texas staff files the paperwork to determine the draft value of all the Longhorn players who are eligible for the draft. - Kirk Bohls, The Austin American-Statesman

THat's hardly slamming the door on anything here. Of course he's going to say that, he's focused on their next 2 games.
great, thought out mock. i like all of the picks and would feel confident that we are at least starting to put together an NFC West winner.

OTC, honestly do you believe that Scot will go after a top FA this year? I'm not sure about the CBA agreements and whatnot, but I'm just afraid that we aren't going to break the bank on any FA O-Linemen. I have been waiting for this signing for a couple of years now (since Larry Allen) and have just seen us going for kind of over-the-hill players.

Also, if CJ Spiller were available in the early 2nd round, would you say that we could try and target him?

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Announced last week.

Quote:

THat's hardly slamming the door on anything here. Of course he's going to say that, he's focused on their next 2 games.

He would be wise to go back for one more year like Berry did. Scouts are worried that coming out too soon could shorten his career. He needs to get a little stronger, and prove he can be durable. He would likely be the first DB selected next year if he returns. I doubt CBA speculations will cause him to declare.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
great, thought out mock. i like all of the picks and would feel confident that we are at least starting to put together an NFC West winner.

OTC, honestly do you believe that Scot will go after a top FA this year? I'm not sure about the CBA agreements and whatnot, but I'm just afraid that we aren't going to break the bank on any FA O-Linemen. I have been waiting for this signing for a couple of years now (since Larry Allen) and have just seen us going for kind of over-the-hill players.

Also, if CJ Spiller were available in the early 2nd round, would you say that we could try and target him?

Yes, I think Scotty will go after FAs this year. What will be available remains to be seen. We could use FS, CB, OG, OT

We have a number of our people to sign - Franklin, Willis, Davis, Pashos perhaps a reworked contract for A. Smith.

Then we need help in the draft, which will be effected by our FA signings. Spiller will not be available in the second round. We need OG, OT, Punt Returner, OLB-pass rushing, Speed, CB, FS, ILB, C. So we have lots of people to draft, and get starters in training. Lots of stuff needs to happen this offseason.
  • cools
  • Veteran
Nice Job OTC

and a question regarding OG free agents
Mankins will prob get signed or tagged, so im not getting my hopes up for him
Other guys i like who may become FA's
R.Sims, sea, D.Latui, ariz, D.Colledge, gb

Is there a chance the three will be avail, and which one would you want to replace Baas at LG?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Yes, I think Scotty will go after FAs this year. What will be available remains to be seen. We could use FS, CB, OG, OT

We have a number of our people to sign - Franklin, Willis, Davis, Pashos perhaps a reworked contract for A. Smith.

Then we need help in the draft, which will be effected by our FA signings. Spiller will not be available in the second round. We need OG, OT, Punt Returner, OLB-pass rushing, Speed, CB, FS, ILB, C. So we have lots of people to draft, and get starters in training. Lots of stuff needs to happen this offseason.

That's correct. Spiller is a 1st round lock.

As for my preference on OG's. I'd say..

1. Stephen Neal
2. Logan Mankins
3. Charlie Johnson
4. Colledge
5. Jean-Gilles
6. Seubert (NYG)
Originally posted by Ninefan56:

That's correct. Spiller is a 1st round lock.

As for my preference on OG's. I'd say..

1. Stephen Neal
2. Logan Mankins
3. Charlie Johnson
4. Colledge
5. Jean-Gilles
6. Seubert (NYG)

Seubert is a FA? I already know I want Stephen Neal on this team. I don't think Mankins or some of the other guys will be FAs though when we got to no cap.
Share 49ersWebzone