LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 277 users in the forums

OTC's Winter Wonderland Mock 2009.

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
like it OTC, except i doubt we cut Jones, so soon.

He got a 5yr/$15M deal with alot guaranteed, so i dont see us taking a hit and losing any cap room, and he really isnt hurting us cap wise, so no reason to cut him.

How much is guaranteed? Because I would have no problem cutting him.
It's a nice mock OTC. I really want us to land Iupati. How much of a dropoff is there between Iupati vs. Carter?
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Outstanding draft. I know you mentioned that we saw eye to eye on a few picks, but I think this mock is vastly superior to my mock.

The main criticism I have about it is the removal of Brandon Jones. I honestly don't see them parting ways with him quite yet.

I think it would be fair to say that Brandon Jones and Jason Hill are pretty much even in overall production and consistency. Neither of them seem to project as a #2 or #1 WR on any team.

With that being said, our main threats at WR lack true speed at their positions. Jason Hill, while posting a fast combine time, does not play fast on the field. He's very possession oriented.

Jones is much faster on the field (based on his 2008 production) and has better size. He needs another year and an injury free offseason to fully develop that chemistry with Alex Smith.

At this point, I wouldn't mind cutting ties with Jason Hill and snagging a guy like Eric Decker in the 3rd-4th round.

Most likely, with Bruce and Battle gone, we'll retain all of our WRs and draft one more.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
like it OTC, except i doubt we cut Jones, so soon.

He got a 5yr/$15M deal with alot guaranteed, so i dont see us taking a hit and losing any cap room, and he really isnt hurting us cap wise, so no reason to cut him.

How much is guaranteed? Because I would have no problem cutting him.

about $6.5M is guaranteed.
The draft sounds great and I'm 100% on board with hiring Greg Roman. I don't think cutting Jones is necessary.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Outstanding draft. I know you mentioned that we saw eye to eye on a few picks, but I think this mock is vastly superior to my mock.

The main criticism I have about it is the removal of Brandon Jones. I honestly don't see them parting ways with him quite yet.

I think it would be fair to say that Brandon Jones and Jason Hill are pretty much even in overall production and consistency. Neither of them seem to project as a #2 or #1 WR on any team.

With that being said, our main threats at WR lack true speed at their positions. Jason Hill, while posting a fast combine time, does not play fast on the field. He's very possession oriented.

Jones is much faster on the field (based on his 2008 production) and has better size. He needs another year and an injury free offseason to fully develop that chemistry with Alex Smith.

At this point, I wouldn't mind cutting ties with Jason Hill and snagging a guy like Eric Decker in the 3rd-4th round.

Most likely, with Bruce and Battle gone, we'll retain all of our WRs and draft one more.

Appreciate it Geek, (and all the others as well -- AB, kronik, genus, etc.).

As I mentioned, guys, my introductory statements are of course not predictions, but merely generalized considerations for what may occur. Take these "considerations" lightly, as they may not happen, but for my mock's purposes I included them so that my selections would make more sense.

Think of it this way: "If we cut Jones, this is how the draft might go." And then comes the draft. And like I said a little bit earlier, for a 5th wide-out, I'd expect just a minimal signing. But that's only if we cut Brandon.

I'm a bit neutral on whether we keep Jones or not. He does provide depth as an adequate #3, but I feel that Hill can do just as much and with a pick like Easley, we'll have a vertical threat with a little more upside. Either way, keeping him doesn't bother me, as long as he never touches the ball on a return again. The reasons I listed that the 49ers might consider may not be enough to let him go yet, but anything's possible.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Dec 8, 2009 at 19:35:25 ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

As I mentioned, guys, my introductory statements are of course not predictions, but merely generalized considerations for what may occur. Take these "considerations" lightly, as they may not happen, but for my mock's purposes I included them so that my selections would make more sense.

Think of it this way: "If we cut Jones, this is how the draft might go." And then comes the draft. And like I said a little bit earlier, for a 5th wide-out, I'd expect just a minimal signing. But that's only if we cut Brandon.

I'm a bit neutral on whether we keep Jones or not. He does provide depth as an adequate #3, but I feel that Hill can do just as much and with a pick like Easley, we'll have a vertical threat with a little more upside. Either way, keeping him doesn't bother me, as long as he never touches the ball on a return again. The reasons I listed that the 49ers might consider may not be enough to let him go yet, but anything's possible.

Oh I totally get what you are saying. I was merely countering your generalized considerations with generalized considerations.
I like the mock. Covers all the major needs and has a few nuggets in the later rounds. I think that the offensive line woes would definitely be a thing of the past if two of those three players work out (.....Carter is a risky pick, but I could live with taking him in the 4th round).
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I agree with the first couple of picks (Bulaga starts from Day One and Graham is a guy who will be a stud in the NFL), but would like to continue the trend throughout the draft of picking up OL who are mobile, agile. I think the power rushing, smash mouth days are over. Give me some guys who can zone block, and this team could have some fun.

I'm thinking Carolina will be picking 7-11. probably 9. Are you guys really that high on Bulaga? I'm thinking he'd be there with our second pick.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Not bad OTC. Quick question though, do you think TJ Ward is better than Nate Allen?

OTC may disagree, I'm not sure, but I grade Allen higher. To me, he's a second rounder we have to take a serious look at. And, I like Ward.

I was thinking the same thing. I like Ward too, but I just feel that Allen may make a more immediate impact.

But I guess I'll take either one.

Oh, certainly. Easy explanation there. Why Ward over Allen? Because I don't think Allen would make it to us. I think he'll be gone within the top 8 picks of the 2nd round. Allen will time much faster than Ward at the combine.

Originally posted by FL9er:
Wouldn't it make sense to keep Bly instead of Harris? He's younger and isn't coming off a major injury.

Jones, which offers no value other than playing the slot is the team's most experienced WR going into next year assuming Battle and Bruce are not brought back. 4 WRs, what if there's an injury?

Other than that, I love you

I explained why Harris over Bly in my introduction, saying I don't think Bly will desire to come back, especially not for the same low price, like Harris will. That's why.

As for the WR's. I expect the 5th guy to be a guy like Spurlock or some other minimal signing. If we keep Jones, Hill's playing time will go down more, and he won't be happy. Either Hill or Brandon will wind up #4 on the depth chart.

I agree with the first couple of picks (Bulaga starts from Day One and Graham is a guy who will be a stud in the NFL), but would like to continue the trend throughout the draft of picking up OL who are mobile, agile. I think the power rushing, smash mouth days are over. Give me some guys who can zone block, and this team could have some fun.

Well, MD, you know I have reasons for everything. Just as Carl Nicks is doing a great job in New Orleans' pass-heavy attack, but also playing well in the run game, I feel both Scott and Carter can fit the kind of in-between offense it seems we're looking to move towards.

If we want quick guys, I'd expect a push for guys like Mitch Petrus, Thomas Austin, Eric Olson (C/G) and John Estes (C/G). I like all of those players.

Really like your pickups & your reasoning for them. Great job as always OTC!

Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
I like the mock. Covers all the major needs and has a few nuggets in the later rounds. I think that the offensive line woes would definitely be a thing of the past if two of those three players work out (.....Carter is a risky pick, but I could live with taking him in the 4th round).

I think Carter just needs a positive mentor. Apparently he's really seemed to have turned things around, so if he interviews well and the scouts talks with coaches and they vouch for him, he could go as high as the late 3rd.

There are a lot of linemen I think could be good -- I think we should, and will, take a long look at Chris Marinelli from Stanford.
  • tap11
  • Veteran
First off, nice effort - well thought out mock.

However, do you really think that Graham needs to go that high? I have been slowly putting together a mock since Sunday evening and think he might be available in the 2nd round. I would prefer him over any of the other rush linebacking prospects due to his performances against top quality competition.

gotcha OTC, its definately something they will have to think about, he hasnt panned out yet, but hasnt had much PT, so who knows. lol
Originally posted by tap11:
First off, nice effort - well thought out mock.

However, do you really think that Graham needs to go that high? I have been slowly putting together a mock since Sunday evening and think he might be available in the 2nd round. I would prefer him over any of the other rush linebacking prospects due to his performances against top quality competition.

Picking anywhere from 14-18 with that second 1st, yes. Graham is that good. He's among the top 3 pass-rushing OLB's, easily. Even if you compare him to former Michigan star, LaMarr Woodley, you can see why Graham is a top 20 pick. Check this out.

Woodley was selected early in the 2nd round. Here are his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.
04: 16 TFL, 4 sacks
05: 12 TFL, 5 sacks, 3 FF
06: 16.5 TFL, 12 sacks, 4 FF

Totals from those years: 44.5 TFL, 21 sacks, 7 FF

Graham is projected to go in the top 20. Here are his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years.
07: 9.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 3 FF
08: 20 TFL, 10 sacks, 2 FF
09: 26 TFL, 10.5 sacks, 2 FF

Totals from those years: 55.5 TFL, 29 sacks, 7 FF

Graham doubled Woodley's sack totals twice. Scouts also specifically noted Woodley was neutralized by double-teams. Not the case for Graham.
EASLEY!!!!! UCONN!!

yes i love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome mock
Share 49ersWebzone