LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 227 users in the forums

Andrew Luck

I know he's only a redshirt freshman, but I've been watching the Stanford v. UCLA game and this kid looks like he's got LOADS of potential. Great accuracy, better pocket presence, and has done check-downs, runs well. Overall he looks like a prospect the 9rs should keep an eye on if we don't end up drafting a high profile QB in this upcoming draft. If anyone gets a chance, it's about to be the 4th qtr in this game on ABC check him out.
he missed so many easy throws
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

He's a freshman... which is why it might be a little early to evaluate him either way.
You must be a middle aged man. It's called premature evaluation and it happens when you get older.
I was telling a fellow zoner yesterday on our way to the 49er game (he's a stanford fan) that I think Luck will be playing on Sundays.

For being a freshman, he's played extremely well, understanding he doesn't have to make it rain to help his team win with their stud running game, while at the same time stepping up when it's been needed of him.

Don't be fooled by him "managing the game" in this his freshman season, IMO he's gonna be special and a much better prospect than Edwards coming out of there.

Time will tell ...
I agree on this kid... after watching him the past couple weeks, I see alot of talent that should definately translate well to the next level.

He certainly possesses the arm strength - able to put deep balls on line with a very clean and quick release. Possesses excellent pocket presence along with above average mobility - the kid has enough speed to do more than just ran for first downs. Although he has been a bit inconsistent with this during the first few games of his college career, I believe that its more attributable to nerves than anything else - As i said before, Luck possesses very clean mechanics and his deep balls are extremely accurate probably due to the fact that he doesnt have time to think on those types of plays. And being this productive as a freshman at stanford shows that he must possess some intangibles along with smarts.

If I had my choice, Id have us drafting Matt Barkley in three years. However, seeing as he will most likely be the #1 overall pick, Luck would be an excellent consolation prize... and one that could possibly be had in the 2nd round.
lets talk about him in a couple of years. Give him time to get into things.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
He is nothing special. Trent Edwards was twice as talented as Luck and Edwards has flopped in the NFL.
I saw him play a few times in high school in Houston. I didn't think much about him as a junior in high school, but he was a lot better as a senior. His dad was a back up QB for the Oilers back in the day; best of luck to Andrew.
Originally posted by crzy:
He is nothing special. Trent Edwards was twice as talented as Luck and Edwards has flopped in the NFL.

child please

• crzy
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Conejo:

child please

Edwards was the #1 high school QB in the country the year he chose Stanford and he was held back in college by injuries and receivers who were always hurt. Mark Bradford and Evan Moore were hurt every other game. Not to mention, Edwards had to deal with Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris, while Luck is being groomed by Jim Harbaugh, who is on a path to becoming the next great NFL coach.

Edwards was the superior prospect in every way to Luck.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

nooooooool

child please

Edwards was the #1 high school QB in the country the year he chose Stanford and he was held back in college by injuries and receivers who were always hurt. Mark Bradford and Evan Moore were hurt every other game. Not to mention, Edwards had to deal with Buddy Teevens and Walt Harris, while Luck is being groomed by Jim Harbaugh, who is on a path to becoming the next great NFL coach.

Edwards was the superior prospect in every way to Luck.

you speak as if Luck was some scrub who just so happens to be better than older scrubs qb's at stanford. Dude was a top-5 qb prospect coming in and and probably the most accurate of them all. Stop busting out names like Bradford's and Moore's like they were such huge playmakers because they weren't all of that. They were good yes but let's not get carried away.

And again, I know you love making statements because they make you sound like you speak the truth, but saying Harbaugh is on a path to the becoming "the next great NFL coach" might just be more ridiculous than saying Edwards was "twice as talented as Luck"

How's about we wait and see what Harbaugh can even do at Stanford before we start anointing him with any "greatness" labels and don't get me wrong, I like him alot but

FWIW, I think Edwards will be a fine QB in this league and Luck will be a top-5 QB when he chooses to declare. He may not stick around for his senior season if he stays healthy throughout his career and continues to improve his game, which as of right now is much superior than most freshmen qb's in the nation (not ahead of Barkley IMO but I'd put him ahead of Forcier just to name a couple of names)
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
And again, I know you love making statements because they make you sound like you speak the truth

Look, first of all, they're called opinions and the purpose of this online message forum is to state opinions.

Jim Harbaugh is going to be a tremendous NFL head coach. And I thought this back in 2006 before anybody even knew he had a brother and Harbaugh was overachieving at the University of San Diego. Seeing his brother's success with the Ravens merely reinforces my belief in Jim Harbaugh. Just the mere fact that Stanford is even competitive the past few years when they've have mediocre talent every position except running back (Gerhart) is a testament to his coaching ability. And NFL general managers believe in him as well. Al Davis already knocked on his door last off-season to try and woo him into coaching the Raiders, but Harbaugh wisely turned that crap offer down.

Also, Bradford and Moore were far more talented as wide receivers than Whalen or Richard Sherman. I like Chris Owusu a bit, but he has a long ways to go.

And I was one of the biggest Trent Edwards fans around. I declared on the webzone that Edwards would be the best QB in the 07 Draft. He grew up in my hometown of Los Gatos. I watched him in high school and I really thought he would be an elite quarterback, but I've been extremely disappointed in him this season. I thought Terrell Owens would help take Edwards to the next level after his progress last season.

Anyways, I still contend that Edwards is a far superior prospect to Luck. But Luck has that prototypical size and athleticism that NFL draft experts drool over, so they'll probably overrate him in a couple years.
He's back at it again this week vs. Oregan! Just threw a bomb on the numbers to the 2 yard line and Geirhart just punched it in -- now Standford is up 31-14.

This kid looks good. Putting the ball right on the money of every throw, stands tall in the pocket, can take hits, pocket awareness, drives off his back leg to throw with quite a rope of a throw -- even can run somewhat!
Share 49ersWebzone