LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Greatest Need For 2010 Draft Right Now

Greatest Need For 2010 Draft Right Now

NT - All starts with the nose, and so far, we have failed to make NT the high priority it should be. Nolan put very little value in the 3-4 DL, and it showed. Bringing in Franklin has been a failure. He is poor at anchoring the LOS, and rarely gets any push or penetration up the gut on pass or rush plays. We are taking a look at Isaac Sopoaga and even Kentwan Balmer. Sopoaga looked very impressive in TC, and only okay in preseason. It's hard to say that either will be terribly effective, yet they would have to be an upgrade to Franklin. I think this will be a very high priority in the next offseason, and I'm a fan of Cody or Robinson so far for the early rounds of the draft. Wilfork in FA... please?

RT - Adam Snyder stepped it up now that he is left alone to focus at RT. Too early to say he's a long term solution. Pashos is a wild card right now, but glad to have him for depth. I like Boone's potential, but his slow feet may keep him from being a good starter. I see RT being a likely draft priority in the first 4 picks as well.

OLB - Not seeing SPECIAL from our OLBs, and can easily see this as a high priority in the draft. I'm very high on Selvie if he can bulk up and keep the weight. Not fully giving up on our bunch though.

QB - This could end up our greatest need or not a need at all. I don't think much of Hill, but won't yet completely dismiss him as evolving into a decent/good starter. I suspect that at some point, sooner or later, Alex Smith will take over the reins and never look back. Not always a popular opinion, but it's how I see it. I see Nate Davis having great potential as our #2 and possibly more later down the line.
No BPA option?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
QB.

We don't have one. Everything else will fail until we get one. How can you even look at the other categories until you have a franchise QB? A team in the NFL is going nowhere without the right QB.

CONCUR
1st pick= Taylor mays S
2nd pick = ???? NT/DT

address QB throught trade/F.A.
I would say NT. Suh might be off the board by the time we pick, but he could be our Jay Ratliff. If not, Sergio Kindle would be a great pick as our premier pass rusher. Eric Berry is still the #1 player on my 2010 draft board so far.
Since we have two 1st rounders next year we should go after the best players on the board in the 1st round imo though we should have out eyes set on grabbing NT Terrence Cody even if we have to trade up to get him.
nose tackle

pass rush

right tackle

quarterback
NT imo. The niners D gives up big chunks of yards in the ground game and can't generate a pass rush b/c the NT generates no push and can frequently be taken out of a play by a single blocker. Without a premier NT the 3-4 does not work imo. Even premier OLBs would struggle to make plays with how weak the 49ers interior Dline is.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
I would say NT. Suh might be off the board by the time we pick, but he could be our Jay Ratliff. If not, Sergio Kindle would be a great pick as our premier pass rusher. Eric Berry is still the #1 player on my 2010 draft board so far.

I just think that Sergio is gonna be too small to really be that effective coming of the edge - just dont see him being that much of an improvement over Lawson... Come to think of it - Sergio hasnt ever even put up major Sack numbers in college.

I see Jerry Hughes as this years version of Larry English - Lacks eye popping physical measurements, but is very stout with excellent burst off the edge along with a wide range of pass rush moves.
Field general
Pass rusher
Playmaker in the secondary
Big fatty

• A-R-S
  • Veteran
1.QB
2.QB
3.QB
4.QB
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Since we have two 1st rounders next year we should go after the best players on the board in the 1st round imo though we should have out eyes set on grabbing NT Terrence Cody even if we have to trade up to get him.

I am willing to bet that Cody doesnt even go in the first round... He just isnt as dominant as people make him out to be.
I think Suh will be gone before we pick and there really isn't much after him. Cody needs a lot of work and needs to lose weight and after that nobody worth more than a 3rd rounder right now.

I'd be shocked if Pats let Wilfork go but they have like 2 or 3 guys waiting in the wing. I'd pay Wilfork whatever he wants. That's one less position to address in the draft leaving say QB, OLB and possibly RT. The draft is much deeper for OLBs, RTs and probably QB than NT.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
In practical terms QB 1st, OLB (pass rusher in the 49ers scheme) 2nd. However, with the way the 49ers are going to play QB may not be as big of a need as having a dominant front 7 and a punishing offensive line.
Originally posted by abowers1984:
Originally posted by SF69ers:

I just think that Sergio is gonna be too small to really be that effective coming of the edge - just dont see him being that much of an improvement over Lawson... Come to think of it - Sergio hasnt ever even put up major Sack numbers in college.

I see Jerry Hughes as this years version of Larry English - Lacks eye popping physical measurements, but is very stout with excellent burst off the edge along with a wide range of pass rush moves.

Sergio is 6'4", 255 lbs and has experience at DE and OLB. When he started last year, he had 10.5 sacks which isn't too bad since he was basically placed all over the field.

I wouldn't mind Hughes though. He's actually one of the players I'm keeping a very close eye on.
Share 49ersWebzone