There are 240 users in the forums

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

Better NFL QB: McCoy or Bradford

• kw49
  • Veteran
What if we drafted Dan LeFevour. Then we'd have LeFevour, Crabs, and VD. Talk about a dangerous offense.
Originally posted by yoda76:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by dhp318:
I don't think McCoy will be a 1st rounder

He probably would've been the 1st QB taken this year....But who knows, If he repeats his numbers from last year....he could go #1 next draft.

I can't forsee how he would've even been the 2nd QB taken, especially when you consider that teams would not want to take a QB who plays in a spread offense with the #1 pick. Sorry, I think you're in the wrong.

Well, then we will agree to disagree.

But 3859 yards, 34 TD's and only 8 int's while completing 76.7 percent of his passes are absolutely insane numbers.

IMO this easily would have made him the top choice this year...and another year like this will get him the top pick next year as well.

They were great numbers for sure however there were no experts in the field that I can remember that ever considered him to be the top pick in this draft. It was always between Bradford and Stafford. Many actually consider him more of a 2nd round pick. Obviously time will tell but I think you exagerate where he would have been picked as well as where he will be picked.

Would you have taken Stafford and his 57% comp. percentage over Mccoy?

You are right though, Bradford is considered to be the easy #1 choice next year and he had a monster year and he probably would have been the top choice this year as well.

Both QB's will be highly scrutinized this year and Im sure their games will get picked apart but this coming season should be fun to watch...Unless you are an ASU fan like me

I would absolutely have taken Stafford over McCoy. Stafford had a terrible offensive line and still produced, especially in the pocket in a pro style offense. Completion percentage, especially in a spread offense, means nothing. Remember JaMarcus Russell?
Originally posted by krizay:

He probably would've been the 1st QB taken this year....But who knows, If he repeats his numbers from last year....he could go #1 next draft.

I can't forsee how he would've even been the 2nd QB taken, especially when you consider that teams would not want to take a QB who plays in a spread offense with the #1 pick. Sorry, I think you're in the wrong.

But 3859 yards, 34 TD's and only 8 int's while completing 76.7 percent of his passes are absolutely insane numbers.

IMO this easily would have made him the top choice this year...and another year like this will get him the top pick next year as well.

They were great numbers for sure however there were no experts in the field that I can remember that ever considered him to be the top pick in this draft. It was always between Bradford and Stafford. Many actually consider him more of a 2nd round pick. Obviously time will tell but I think you exagerate where he would have been picked as well as where he will be picked.

You are right though, Bradford is considered to be the easy #1 choice next year and he had a monster year and he probably would have been the top choice this year as well.

Both QB's will be highly scrutinized this year and Im sure their games will get picked apart but this coming season should be fun to watch...Unless you are an ASU fan like me

Try being an Aggie fan. facing both these guys. Plus, the Okla. St. dude. With an already suspect defense!

EDIT: atleast Harrell/Crabtree and Daniels/Maclin are gone!

Potts is coming ... 6'5" 235 lbs ... 4.8 40 ... will have the strongest arm in the big12 now that Freeman is gone
If he has half of Harrell's smarts and accuracy, he will be a stud.

on topic:

Bradford has the stronger arm, better NFL size, has Harrell-like accuracy underneath, but the power to put it over the top.
McCoy completed a higher percentage of passes, but he also threw many more dump-offs.
Plus McCoy is surrounded by superior athletes. He had more to work with, check out Texas' recruiting over the last few years, it isn't even close.
I am also biased because Leach tried to recruit Bradford and lost to OU while he didn't even want McCoy.

Yes. Stafford has the much better arm, played in a pro style offense, and has a bigger upside in my opinion. I am not too concerned about a QB that throws the ball down the field rather than a lot of dump offs that completes 57%. In any case, it really would have come down to what the professional evaluators think and I dont see how McCoy would have graded higher than Stafford.
  • r28884
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoFD74:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by Apples:
Originally posted by DANADA:
well ill take Bradford

but I want Tebow

Why? He's gonna be terrible.

Hey Apples...I'll bet you $100 Tebow wins a Super Bowl championship before either Bradford or McCoy.

Done!

Tebow is just another big-body, Vince Young type quarterback who wants to run first and pass second.

DEAL!

You clearly haven't seen Tebow play that often. I'm a Tennessee Vols fan and I can't stand the guy, but even I see the overall game he has. His big body and movement in the pocket remind me of BigBen, his arm strength is even better than Steve Young's during his heyday, and his leadership/inspirational skills are a cross between Dan Marino and Brett Favre.

Now, I'm not saying he is a lock to be as good as any of the guys I mentioned above, but I think he has a chance at being that type of NFL QB. The biggest reason for his success in the NFL will be his ability to make plays. When he needs to, and when things are on the line, he has an uncanny ability to make plays either with is legs or through the air. That SOB just gets it done every time...it's amazing to watch.

VOL fan here too...Tebow will be a force in the NFL when he comes out. May take him a year or two in the right system but he knows how to win.
  • r28884
  • Info N/A
I voted McCoy but history says neither will be any good.

Look at the Numbers

In the NFL, there are 109 quarterbacks that are on a roster. Of those 109, four of them are from the Big 12. Two of them (Vince Young, Chris Simms) are from Texas. The other two (Sage Rosenfels, Seneca Wallace) are from Iowa State. No other Big 12 school has a player currently employed in the NFL as a quarterback. Brad Smith played quarterback at Missouri, but he is now a receiver.

Four players out of 109, with zero starters is not a good number. Zero percent of the starting QBs in the NFL are from the Big 12. Just 3.7 percent of the quarterbacks employed in the NFL are from the Big 12.

Big 12 QBs suck in the NFL.

http://www.lukekohler.com/2009/01/09/why-cant-big-12-quarterbacks-succeed-in-the-nfl/
Originally posted by r28884:
I voted McCoy but history says neither will be any good.

Look at the Numbers

In the NFL, there are 109 quarterbacks that are on a roster. Of those 109, four of them are from the Big 12. Two of them (Vince Young, Chris Simms) are from Texas. The other two (Sage Rosenfels, Seneca Wallace) are from Iowa State. No other Big 12 school has a player currently employed in the NFL as a quarterback. Brad Smith played quarterback at Missouri, but he is now a receiver.

Four players out of 109, with zero starters is not a good number. Zero percent of the starting QBs in the NFL are from the Big 12. Just 3.7 percent of the quarterbacks employed in the NFL are from the Big 12.

Big 12 QBs suck in the NFL.

http://www.lukekohler.com/2009/01/09/why-cant-big-12-quarterbacks-succeed-in-the-nfl/

That's the worst argument I've ever heard.

Scout 1: "I love McCoy, he has everything we're looking for and would be perfect for our team."
Scout 2: "I agree, but look at these stats."
Scout 1: "My God...what do we do now?"
Scout 2: "I don't know...it's a shame too, I'd love to have him on our team. It's just too bad that previous quarterbacks from his conference didn't succeed in the NFL."
Scout 1: "F*ck!"
  • yoda76
  • Info N/A

Yes. Stafford has the much better arm, played in a pro style offense, and has a bigger upside in my opinion. I am not too concerned about a QB that throws the ball down the field rather than a lot of dump offs that completes 57%. In any case, it really would have come down to what the professional evaluators think and I dont see how McCoy would have graded higher than Stafford.

College QB's that are drafted that completed less than 60% of their passes don't pan out as often...atleast according to the Yahoo article a few weeks ago.

So based on your above comment, Mccoy would be better than Stafford for a west coast offense? He can move, 560 yards rushing and 11 TD last year and great accuracy for the short/intermediate passes.

So it comes down to the offensive system...which I totally agree with. That's why a lot of people said the Lions took Stafford instead of Sanchez...he fit their system better.
I don't care how fast, strong, or nimble McCoy is, he can't pull off any of the s**t he does in college. NFL linemen and linebackers will destroy him. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking he's Michael Vick
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by alwaysa49erfan:
I can't believe Tim Tebow is being mentioned as a NFL QB in this thread.

Tons of running QB's just make plays in college. His jump pass is cute and all but unless he gets drafted by Urban Meyer somehow he is going to fail. Average passer at best.

An average passer doesn't make these types of accurate passes, especially in a conference championship game against the top defense in the country with your big playmaker on the sideline...and this wasn't even one of Tebow's better games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVOGpC_JRHI&feature=related

You might need to reassess your ability to define "average passer."

"Average passers" can hit wide open targets. That video shows more about his receiver's ability to get seperation than Tebow's accuracy. It's not that hard to complete a pass when there is no pressure on you and your receiver has 3 or 4 yards of seperation.

Clearly not all of those WRs were "wide open targets," but it doesn't really matter. You've made up your mind on the guy, even though he was throwing darts to covered WRs in the end-zone and over the middle...that's cool if you choose to ignore that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

This is what I see from the youtube clip you posted.

0:34- 3 players by the receiver when he makes the catch; closest player makes the tackle and is about three yards away when the receiver makes the catch.

0:53- You can't see much from this highlight, he put the ball low and outside where only his receiver could catch it. This seems to be Tebow's best pass.

1:33- Play-action, wide receiver runs a stop and go and burns the corner back. The wide receiver has 2-3 yards of seperation.

1:47- Play-action, Tebow throws over the middle to a receiver who has an Alabama player right behind him. There was no player between the line of scrimmage and the receiver. The video is too blurry to see how close he was.

1:52- Slow motion throw to a wide open player for a touchdown. No one is near the receiver.

2:18- The patented Tebow play action, he steps forward a step as if he is running then he steps back and makes the throw to a receiver who has 2 yards between him and the closest defender.

3:03- Play action, throw is a little over-thrown, but still a pretty good pass against decent coverage.

3:11- Slow motion throw that nearly flew over the receivers head, the receiver made a good leaping grab to catch it.

3:15- Another slow motion throw that is actually very good. Tebow put the ball where only his receiver could get it.

Most of Tebow's throws are set up with play-action. This, and the talent around him really make him look better than he is. Tebow's ability to run will hurt his ability to pass in the pros because he can run over everyone in college. He will get killed by players like Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Justin Smith, etc. in the NFL. He will have to learn how to play quarterback in a pro system.

I think Tebow could eventually become a quarterback in the NFL, just like Pat White. He has that "it" factor which every successful quarterback has. He wont understand how to play in a pro system so he will need a year or two to learn before he starts. He should be successful if he lasts into the second round so he can actually sit and learn how to play quarterback in the NFL. Saying that, I hope he gets drafted number 1 overall next year to a team as bad as Detroit so he fails miserably due to the ridiculous expectations put on that draft spot.

Originally posted by dobophile:
I don't care how fast, strong, or nimble McCoy is, he can't pull off any of the s**t he does in college. NFL linemen and linebackers will destroy him. Let's not fool ourselves into thinking he's Michael Vick

I never said he was Michael Vick.

I guess I'm saying that being fast/nimble really means nothing in evaluating a QB in the NFL unless you're Vick.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dobophile:

I never said he was Michael Vick.

He never quoted you...
How about the QB from Ol Miss he is being mention as a good NFL prospect Sneed is his last name I believe?

Anyone have any info on the guy he did beat Florida last year>?
Just remember this...very few NFL minds ever thought Jeff Garcia would make it in the NFL...and his game resembles McCoy's quite a bit. Just food for thought...
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
How about the QB from Ol Miss he is being mention as a good NFL prospect Sneed is his last name I believe?

Anyone have any info on the guy he did beat Florida last year>?

He actually could be the sleeper in all this. He was at Texas for a year or two before realizing he was never going to wrestle the job away from Colt, so he transfered.

Living in Austin, I watched him (Jevan Sneed) since he was recruited. Once he got installed as the full time guy at Ole Miss, he really looked sharp. A good year this year, and he could be in the Heisman running a very possibly a first round consideration or a 2nd round steal.
Share 49ersWebzone