LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

So You're Saying There's a Chance - Jimmy Is Traded Mock

Trades:

49ers trade wide receiver Deebo Samuel and R6P187 to the New York Jets for R2P35, R2P38, R3P69 and a conditional 2023 pick (up to a 1st).

Why the 49ers do it:
I actually hope we find a way to keep Deebo, and if there is anyway to make amends, we need to do it. With that said, if for some reason he really must leave (like serious, what happened?!), and its a situation where even 150 mil fully guaranteed can't get Deebo to change his mind, then we should just bite the bullet and maximize our value. Deebo is not going to be replaced by any one player, and we get a nice haul to replace him by committee. Depending on how the Niners feel about Mike McGlinchey coming back, I may try to find a way to work Mekhi Becton into the deal as well. I previously suggested McG for Becton straight up.

Why the Jets do it:
They are loaded with draft picks, and with picks at #4 and #10 overall to add to a certified star in Deebo, they have the opportunity to turn their team around in a hurry. There is a lot of noise about the #10 pick right now, but I don't think the #10 pick by itself is worth it to the Niners in this draft class, and I am not sure that the Jets would be willing to throw too much more on top of it. With that said, the proposed deal is still SIGNIFICANTLY more than what was rumored to have been offered for Tyreek, but we all know that the longer a team waits, the less options they have, and the more they have to pay. This is the Jets last chance to add a guaranteed game changer for Wilson, and he will totally be worth next years first if he hits the incentives necessary for it to convey.

3 team trade
CAR receives R3P84 (PIT), 2023 R1 (PIT), 2023 conditional R3 (SF), Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo
PIT receives R1P6 (CAR)
SF receives R1P20 (PIT)

Why CAR does it:
They need a QB badly and the current regime does not have time to defer 'til next year, rely on Sam Darnold, or hope one of these draftable QBs shock the world in year one of their rookie deals. Without another pick in this draft until the fourth round, would they rather gamble on a QB in what is by all accounts a poor draft class, or add a 3rd round this year, valuable picks next year, AND get the best QB available in Jimmy G?

Why PIT does it:
Coach Tomlin is on record saying the next QB of the Steelers will need to be a more "modern" mobile QB, and Pitt is rumored to love Malik Willis. They have Trubisky in place to allow Willis to redshirt like most expect he will need. QBs always go earlier than expected in the draft, and so they will need to move up to secure their target.

Why SF does it:
I can't see any other landing place for a Jimmy G trade, and certainly not for first round value. We have 3 third round picks next year, and we can sacrifice one to sweeten the deal for CAR.

DRAFT:

R1P20: Zion Johnson, IOL | Boston College
Ht: 6025 Wt: 314 RAS: 9.55 Shuttle: 4.46

Why SF wants him:
Our OL has been serviceable, but consistently the weakest link of the team. Add to the equation losing your starting left guard, your starting center likely to retire, still no answers at right guard which has been a question mark for years, and your starting right tackle coming off of what was considered a potentially season ending injury, and it is obvious how badly this team needs OL help. Zion Johnson is the best interior lineman in this class, and probably the most pro-ready of any lineman, which is what we need: someone ready to step in and start from day 1. Athletic, long, and technically refined, Zion Johnson silenced any concerns about level of competition at the senior bowl.

Why hes there:
Interior offensive line typically goes a little later on draft day, and I think early 20s is an appropriate spot for him.

R2P35: Tyler Linderbaum, OC | Iowa
Ht: 6022 Wt: 302 RAS: 9.57 Shuttle: 4.38

Why SF wants him:
Not sure anything needs to be said here. Day 1 starter at a major position of need.

Why hes there:
I firmly believe Linderbaum is a first round prospect, and a high one at that, but with 31" arms on a 300 lb maxed out frame limiting him to strictly playing an undervalued position, it is no surprise there there is a ton of noise lately about him potentially dropping to day two, and maybe we should start listening to them.

R2P38: Christian Watson, WR | North Dakota State
Ht: 6040 Wt: 208 RAS: 9.88 40yd: 4.36

Why SF wants him:
I actually think this is too high for Watson (and higher than we would need to select him), and I would take Burks here if his testing causes him to fall, but players with this HWS profile don't last too long. This is our first player recruited to help form the committee to replace Deebo's production. With his speed, YAC ability and familiarity with Trey Lance, I think we will be able to integrate him into the offense rather quickly on deep vertical routes, end arounds and screens. He is also a willing and feisty blocker with ST upside.

Why hes there:
Watson is simply not a 3-level threat right now. While he excels as a deep threat or on manufactured touches, that is all he should realistically be expected to reliably deliver at this time. He showed ability and promise at the senior bowl, but it is still projection at this point. He comes from a lower level of competition, was never ultra productive albeit coming from a run first scheme, has a lot of weight to put on, and has a worrying number of brick-handed drops - he is not the polished receiver many think he is.

R2P61: Troy Andersen, LB | Montana State
Ht: 6034 Wt: 243 RAS: 9.98

Why SF wants him:
Azeez and Greenlaw are both due for new contracts after this year, and we won't be able to afford both of them next to Fred Warner. In college, Troy Andersen was always the best athlete on the field, and it's not just because of his level of competition - he is a freak. He is new to the position, but displays all of the traits to project him to a stud coverage linebacker - size, athleticism, and FBIQ. Sounds right up the 49ers alley. Currently, he just flies around the field, sideline to sideline, and gets downhill in a hurry in run defense or when blitzing the QB. He has immediate ST value.

Why hes there:
New to the position at a low level of competition - he is going to need some time to really know what he's seeing out there. He has the frame and athleticism to hold up at the next level, but currently he struggles to get off blocks and needs to be kept clean to maximize his ability.

R3P69: James Cook, RB | Georgia
Ht: 5110 Wt: 199 RAS: 8.7

Why SF wants him:
Part 2 of the committee to replace Deebo Samuel. It must be said, he is NOT Deebo Samuel. Not close. He lacks the tackle breaking ability and the explosion that make Deebo truly special. What he does have, though, is the speed, vision, cutting ability, and catching ability to be used in similar situations; expect big plays, just not the individually game winning plays.

Why hes there:
Hes a RB. In a class full of them. He lacks tackle breaking ability.

R3P93: George Pickens, WR | Georgia
Ht:6032 Wt: 195 RAS: 9.33

Why SF wants him:
And here's part 3. He's like Juan Jennings if Juan Jennings was actually athletic. He has the burst and release package to cleanly get off the LOS in soft press and off coverage. He has the deep speed to get open on vertical routes. He has the athletic ability to uncover and create separation on drive, stop and comeback routes. He has the size and body control to catch balls well outside of his frame. He has the hands and alpha mentality to snatch balls off of people's heads in contested catch situations. He has the strength and aggressiveness to knock defenders on their butts in run blocking.

Why hes there:
He looked like a surefire first rounder after his freshman season, but most of his projection is still riding off of that freshman year, and most of his displays of athleticism are from prior to an ACL tear. He also had character and maturity concerns that may or may not have have lessened since that time. His route running and footwork can use a lot of work, particularly on in and out breaking routes. Should not be expected to come in and dominate at the X right away. Needs refinement and time to shape his body.

R3P105: Marcus Jones, NCB | Houston
Ht: 5'8" Wt: 175

Why SF wants him:
This is the rare prospect that I think literally has a shot to carve out a role in all three phases of the game. Starting NCB on defense, returner on ST, and the Richie James role on offense. Small but really feisty. Tough SOB, not afraid of contact. Undersized, but very very sticky in man coverage. Twitchy in zone. Great ball skills and production.

Why hes there:
Ht: 5'8" Wt: 175 Arm: 28

Trade: Dre Greenlaw to LV Raiders for R4P126

R4P126: Zyon McColum, CB | Sam Houston State
Ht: 6021 Wt: 199 RAS: 9.99

R4P134: Alex Wright, DE | UAB
Ht: 6'5" Wt: 271

R5P172: Kalia Davis, IDL | UCF

R6P220: Jordan Stout, P | Penn State

R6P221: Markquese Bell, S | Florida A&M

R7P262: Derrick Deese Jr, TE | SJSU

Roster:

QB (2): Trey Lance, Nate Sudfeld
RB (4): Elijah Mitchell, Trey Sermon, James Cook, JaMycal Hasty
FB (1): Kyle Juszczyk
OL (9): Trent Williams, Zion Johnson, Tyler Linderbaum, Aaron Banks, Mike McGlinchey, Jalen Moore, Daniel Brunskill, Colton McKivitz, Justin Skule
WR (5): Brandon Aiyuk, Jauan Jennings, Christian Watson, George Pickens, Ray Ray McCloud
TE (3): George Kittle, Charlie Woerner, Derrick Deese Jr

DL (11): Nick Bosa, Arik Armstead, Javon Kinlaw, Samson Ebukam, Jordan Willis, Maurice Hurst, Kalia Davis, Kemoko Turray, Alex Wright, Charles Omenihu, Kerry Hyder Jr.
LB (4): Fred Warner, Azeez Al-Shaair, Oren Burks, Troy Andersen
CB (6): Charvarius Ward, Ambry Thomas, Emmanuel Moseley, Deommodore Lenoir, Zyon McCollum, Marcus Jones
S (5): Tarvarius Moore, Jimmie Ward, Talanoa Hufanga, George Odum, Markquese Bell

P (1): Jordan Stout
LS (1): Taybor Pepper
PK (1): Robbie Gould
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Tyler linderbaum will be gone at around the 20th pick in the draft. I don't know how you picked a guard over center.
Originally posted by fan49:
Tyler linderbaum will be gone at around the 20th pick in the draft. I don't know how you picked a guard over center.

You might be, and are probably right about Linderbaum, but again I'm just going off of what I'm reading which is that a lot of people think there's a good shot that he falls out of the first round. As for guard over center, , I think there are more options available to find an immediate starter at center then there are guard, and we might need two of them.
Seems like the steelers came out way on top in that 3 team trade
Im not a big fan of Troy Anderson and doubling down on interior lineman that high in the draft. Would rather get a RT with one of those top two picks. Anderson is someone I feel will be a gimmicky player and we dont need a LB. Should be looking to spend that pick instead on a Safety like Bryan Cook or Kerby
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Im not a big fan of Troy Anderson and doubling down on interior lineman that high in the draft. Would rather get a RT with one of those top two picks. Anderson is someone I feel will be a gimmicky player and we dont need a LB. Should be looking to spend that pick instead on a Safety like Bryan Cook or Kerby

My reasoning is that it is highly unlikely that Cook or Kerby start over Moore or Ward this year. Next year both LB and Safety will be a need. Good safeties are available every single year. Andersen has the upside to be a star linebacker.

As for IOL, we have a presumed starter at RT. Whether he's great or not, can you say for sure who our starters along the interior are going to be? If McGlinch is healthy, no one outside of the top 3 tackles are likely to start over him.
Jets have 3 starting guards. Why not ask for#35 #38 and Vera Tucker. Sign JC Trotter with money saved from Mack retirement and JG trade or release. It's hard to think that KS would start 2 rookies in front of a rookie QB ( per say). #20 is great pick but #35, would rather have Bernhard Raimann or safety. Coby Bryant with #69 and maybe Sam Williams with#93.
Hoping today for

4 Zyon McCollum, CB
5 Lecitus Smith, IOL
6 Jordan Stout, P
6 Markquese Bell, S
7 Cade York, PK
7 Derrick Deese Jr., TE

Other targets:
Daniel Bellinger, TE
Zach Tom, OL

Love the Drake Jackson and Danny Gray picks, hate the RB
Share 49ersWebzone