LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

Post-Combine / Pre-Free Agency Mock Plan

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Personnel Moves:

Trades -
(a) Jimmy G and 3rd for the Colts 2nd (via WAS) and 3rd (via WAS) picks
(b) 5th and 7th (comp) round picks for Giants James Bradberry; gets extended and reduces his 2022 salary by 50%

Resign - ERFA, RFA, Willis, Brendel, Sudfeld, Tartt

Release - Ford (June 1st designation)

Restructure - Ebukam (2 year extension, saving $5M in '22)

Free Agency Targets:

Primary Signings - Alex Cappa (G, Bucs), Haason Reddick (LB/DE, CAR)
*Cappa upgrades the RG position. Reddick gets a front loaded contract to balance Bosa's extension

Cap Cuts - Kyle Rudolph (TE, NYG)
*Solid #2 TE to help with Lance's first year as the starting QB.

Depth Signings - Ryan Neal (CB/S, SEA), Jakeem Grant (WR/ST, CHI), Sean Mannion (QB, MIN)
*Both are primary contributors on special teams. Neal replaces Johnson, Grant replaces Cannon/James, and Mannion projects as a PS QB.

NFL Draft:

R2: Jaquan Brisker - S - Penn St. (via IND thru WAS)
*Gets the starting nod over Huf at SS, eventually replacing Ward at FS in '23. Top tier 2 talent at the safety position.

R2: Christian Watson - WR - NDSU
*Boom goes the dynamite. We get a tall, vertical threat to utilize Lance's arm in the passing game. This allows Samuel to flex to the slot.

R3: Max Mitchell - T - Louisiana (via IND thru WAS)
*Starting RT position that will replace McGlinchey in '23

R3: Marcus Jones - NB - Houston (comp)
*Physical dime corner that competes with Moseley and Lenior for the slot position

R4: Cam Jurgens - C - Nebraska
*If Joe Staley vouches for a guy, you take em. Successor to Mack in '23.

R6: Micah McFadden - LB - Indiana (via DEN)
*Team captain that bolsters the depth at the MIKE position.

R7: Tyler Goodson - RB - Iowa (comp)
*Developmental back behind Mitchell and Sermon.

R7: Connor Heyward - TE - Michigan St. (comp)
*RB turned TE, Heyward could be an eventual successor to Juice at FB.

Depth Chart:

QB: Lance/Sudfeld (PS: Mannion*)
RB: Mitchell/Sermon/Goodson*/Hasty
FB: Juice
TE: Kittle/Rudolph*/Woerner/Heyward*

WR: Samuel/Jennings
WR: Aiyuk/Grant*
WR: Watson*

LT: Williams/McKivitz
LG: Banks/Moore
C: Mack/Jurgens* (PS: Brendel)
RG: Cappa*
RT: Mitchell*/Brunskill (PUP: McGlinchey)

DE: Reddick*/Omenihu/Willis
DT: Armstead/Street (PS: Hurst)
DT: Kinlaw/Givens
DE: Bosa/Ebukam (PS: Barrett)

LB: Warner/McFadden*
LB: Greenlaw/Al-Shaair/Flanningan-Fowles

CB: Bradberry*/Ryan*
CB: Thomas/Moseley
NB: Jones*/Lenior
FS: Ward/Tartt
SS: Brisker*/Hufanga/Moore

ST: Gould, Wishnowsky, Pepper
[ Edited by GEEK on Mar 11, 2022 at 7:59 AM ]
I think this is your best one by far, tho I'm personally a bit lower on Max Mitchell. I thought he looked good during the season, but his poor size and athleticism has me seriously concerned and doubtful of his translation to an increase in level of competition - he's McGlinchey without the upside.

I wish the niners had listened to Joe Staley last year when he vouched for Spencer Brown
[ Edited by adrianlesnar on Mar 10, 2022 at 8:22 PM ]
What McFadden do you have starting at nickel? Do you mean Jones who you drafted in the 3rd?
Great plan. I would be ecstatic if the offseason unfolded this way. Have a question how Niners can afford this plan since you acquire vets in free agency and trades versus draft picks, but like the players you are targeting. Nice work!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WeTheNorth:
What McFadden do you have starting at nickel? Do you mean Jones who you drafted in the 3rd?

Edited. Thanks!
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Great plan. I would be ecstatic if the offseason unfolded this way. Have a question how Niners can afford this plan since you acquire vets in free agency and trades versus draft picks, but like the players you are targeting. Nice work!

Let's say the 49ers start out even with the salary cap after my resignings, letting Laken et al walk.

Jimmy G trade opens up $25M. Ebukam opens up $4-5M. Ford will eventually give us $2M. Bradbury slated to make $10M, but we extend and reduce his '22 salary by half via converting some of his base salary to a signing bonus.

For Cappa, we can get creative and give him a more backloaded deal. So let's say he counts as $5M for base salary. That means we have about $20M to spend. Reddick will likely be in the $12M-$14M range.

So we can do it. We may need to play around with Armstead or Kittles contract. But in '23, McGlinchey, Ward, Moseley, and Mack will likely be off our books. That's $30M right there + another $20M in cap growth.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

Let's say the 49ers start out even with the salary cap after my resignings, letting Laken et al walk.

Jimmy G trade opens up $25M. Ebukam opens up $4-5M. Ford will eventually give us $2M. Bradbury slated to make $10M, but we extend and reduce his '22 salary by half via converting some of his base salary to a signing bonus.

For Cappa, we can get creative and give him a more backloaded deal. So let's say he counts as $5M for base salary. That means we have about $20M to spend. Reddick will likely be in the $12M-$14M range.

So we can do it. We may need to play around with Armstead or Kittles contract. But in '23, McGlinchey, Ward, Moseley, and Mack will likely be off our books. That's $30M right there + another $20M in cap growth.

Sounds doable. Now all the Niners need to do is make it happen.
Another really good draft. Like on your February offseason, you always seem to draft players that I am intrigued by also. Love the Brisker pick. He is so versatile. I like Watson the pick a lot, but I do wonder if taking a receiver that high is a good value, when we already three pretty solid wide receivers. The only other thing that I would be hesitant about is the free agency moves. While Cappa and Hassan Reddick are solid players, my preference is to add an edge rusher in the draft, and maybe get a cheaper alternative at guard like Glowinski. Then we could resign some more of our own free agents like Key and Jones.
Good off season, unfortunately Reddick and Cappa have signed with Philly and Cincy respectively.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Good off season, unfortunately Reddick and Cappa have signed with Philly and Cincy respectively.

Pfft yeah swap Cappa for Daniels and Reddick for…Fowler. Saved $15M right there lol

Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by Rathof44:

Pfft yeah swap Cappa for Daniels and Reddick for…Fowler. Saved $15M right there lol

Good work.

Screw Daniels and Fowler, just sign Chandler Jones.
Share 49ersWebzone