There are 170 users in the forums

Jimmy & Sammy Co-Existing Mock

Free Agents Signed/Resigned: Alex Mack, C; Trent Williams, OT, Kyle Juszczyk, FB, Jason Verrett, CB
Trade: 49ers get Sam Darnold, #23, #34; Jets get #12, #43

23 Teven Jenkins, OT - Clearing 2021 cap space makes 2022 cap tight, so McGlinchey likely departs in free agency.
34 Greg Newsome, CB - With only Verrett and Moseley resigned, 49ers choose someone who can play in sub packages quickly.
102 Tommy Tremble, TE - More of a pass catching TE to fill in for Jordan Reed's departure
117 Drake Jackson, C - If 49ers sign Mack for 2 years, Jackson is the future starter when Mack retires.
155 Benjamin St. Juste, CB - Needed depth at CB
172 Daelin Hayes, Edge - 49ers will probably bring back Jordan Willis and Dion Jordan on cheap contracts. Daelin competes for a rotational role. 49ers hope Dee Ford can get healthy and play a role.
180 Kary Vincent, CB - More depth at CB
228 Cornell Powell, WR - Depth at WR (edit-replaced Shi Smith)
238 Conor Wedington, WR - Slot & return role

Misc Notes
Why would the Jets make this trade? They'll pick Zach Wilson and they desperately need day 1 starters. Farley/Surtain/Slater/Vera-Tucker would be the targets or maybe one of the three WRs Waddle/Chase/Smith will also be there at 12. It's possible that Jets would give up a future pick to make this happen.
QB: JimmyG, Darnold, Rosen - one year to decide the future at QB
OL: Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-Brunskill-McGlinchey becomes Williams-Tomlinson-Mack-Brunskill-Jenkins in 2022, assuming they find a way to resign Tomlinson.
DB: A lot of new faces to plug in holes. I see Verrett-Ward-Moore-Moseley as starters, with Newsome first one in at nickel.
[ Edited by hummbabybear on Mar 14, 2021 at 9:07 AM ]
If we were to make that trade with the Jets, I would do it here in a week+ but I would be shopping Jimmy G to any team willing to give us a 2nd for him. I would have said the Pats were a lock, but with the Cam resigning, the Redskins might make the most sense. Getting Darnold in as the new #1 is fine by me, with Rosen as the #2. Now we go into FA with more $$$ to spend, and we can actually improve our roster before the draft. T. WIlliams is a must, after that, I would try to get Verrett+Hyder on 1-2 year deals, they might want 1 year deals so they can try to prove 2020 wasn't a fluke, while also opening them selves up to be FA after this season, when teams caps will go up.

So bringing back T. WIlliams+Verrett+Hyder, along with bringing A. Mack in through FA is a good start prior to the draft. I like Juice, but he might be pretty expensive, and I am down with saving money on him and using it towards a F. Warner extension, while we let Dwelley be the new FB, and look to draft another versatile TE who can also play some FB.
I kinda think that Shanahan's arrogance will make him think he can turn Darnold into a top 10 QB. Lynch will be more skeptical and want to hold on to JimmyG just in case. If a contending team needs a QB midseason due to injury, then that would be a spot to trade JimmyG. If 49ers are 5-0 and JimmyG stays healthy, then Darnold is insurance. Maybe JimmyG will be like the 2010-2012-2014 Giants, staying healthy every other year and 49ers make the SB 2019-2021-2023.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
If we were to make that trade with the Jets, I would do it here in a week+ but I would be shopping Jimmy G to any team willing to give us a 2nd for him. I would have said the Pats were a lock, but with the Cam resigning, the Redskins might make the most sense. Getting Darnold in as the new #1 is fine by me, with Rosen as the #2. Now we go into FA with more $$$ to spend, and we can actually improve our roster before the draft. T. WIlliams is a must, after that, I would try to get Verrett+Hyder on 1-2 year deals, they might want 1 year deals so they can try to prove 2020 wasn't a fluke, while also opening them selves up to be FA after this season, when teams caps will go up.

So bringing back T. WIlliams+Verrett+Hyder, along with bringing A. Mack in through FA is a good start prior to the draft. I like Juice, but he might be pretty expensive, and I am down with saving money on him and using it towards a F. Warner extension, while we let Dwelley be the new FB, and look to draft another versatile TE who can also play some FB.

I think Pats are very much in play for Garappolo still. That Newton contract is all incentives. They could release him tomorrow and hardly lose any cap space. But overall, I think they hope Newton is a backup but if they cant find anyone, he will be the starter.
Just saw the Newton $$$'s, you are right that worse case he can be their backup, and still be pretty cheap at that. If we could get their 2nd for Jimmy RIGHT NOW, I would do it. We would open up a ton of $$$, and easily be able to bring back key guys like T. WIlliams+Verrett+Hyder+K. Williams, along with extending Warner, and bringing in a new C like Mack.

Darnold would be QB1, but Shanahan can ease him along, by using a strong run game, and simplify the O early on, and add to his plate as the season progresses. Darnold has never had the weapons he will have here, nor the play caller we have here, so his results should only go up. I would look to draft someone like Mond in the 3rd to battle Rosen for the number 2 spot, can never have too much talent in the QB room.
Did the Jets take us to a nice restaurant before they f**ked us?
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/jets-sam-darnold-trade-2021-nfl-draft-plans-pick-2

Lynch may be able to get better trade value to bring on Darnold with his value plummeting....after all, last year I predicted the 49ers giving WFT a 2nd rounder for Trent Williams. Lynch negotiated a better deal.
Share 49ersWebzone