LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 257 users in the forums

NYniner85 pre-free agency mock 2021

I've used AB's 49ercap page for info on contracts and such....I tweaked a couple little things and I'm not resigning all the guys he is. Here is the link for the full breakdown, as always AB rocks!

https://49erscap.com/index.php/2021-offseason-plan/

I used TDN's big board and draft simulator to get a realistic idea of who's going where and trade scenarios.

Okay here we go...

I think the cap will be right around $185M all said an done...That would leave SF with $23.8M according to AB.
-cut Richburg saves $3.7M
-restructure/pay cut Ford, he's not passing that physical and will be due $11.6M turn that into a signing bonus and save $14M this yr (throw him on IR).
-Extend Tomlinson which saves $4M
-Restructure Ward saves $4.9M
-Cut Nze save $1.5M

going into FA with $51.9M in cap space

resigns

Juice cap hit 2021 $3.5M 5yrs $23M
Trent Williams cap hit 2021 $7.5M 5yrs $90M
Verrett cap hit 2021 $2.5M 5yrs $30M
Mosely 2nd rd tender $2.9M
Brunskill 3rd yr min $850K
Dwelley 2nd rd tender $2.9M
Jordan Wills 1yr $1M
Garland 1yr $850K

total=$22M for resigning's

Free agents

Alex Mack $3.3M 2021 2yrs $8M
Kerrigan $6M 2021 2yrs $16M
Desmond King $3.3M 5yrs $30

total=$12.6M free agents

Rookie contracts are $9M

so left over cap $8.3M

Draft

I used TDN draft simulator and have been getting very similar draft results overall...so don't get mad at me if a player went higher/lower lol.

1st RD TRADE***

SF moves up to 7th overall giving up this yrs 12th, 103rd, 173 and next yrs 2nd (so 1st/3rd/5th and a 2nd in 2022)

7th overall Trey Lance QB, North Dakota State- Live arm, smart, super athletic, only 20 yrs old and played out of a pro-style offense. His potential is a top 5 QB in the NFL. He will sit behind Jimmy for a yr and be unleashed (hopefully in 2022).

2nd RD TRADE ***

move down with Pitt (they get Trask) we go from 43rd to 55th giving up a 7th as well and getting the 87th overall pick.

55th- Dillon Radunz OT/OG, North Dakota State-Let's go 2 for 2 on NDST prospects. Trey get's a familiar face and SF get's a pretty damn good OL prospect. He has the ability to be a starting OT in this league BUT I think he could be a even better OG. He's smooth and gets to the second level with ease. He will create competition at RG day 1 & could be a future replacement for McG if that is needed.

pick 87 (Pitt trade) Quincy Roche EDGE, Miami- We need a speed rusher and he fits the bill. Love his bend and quick twitch. IMO he's not a 3 down guy and the length will drop him to around here. Pair him up with Kerrigan/Bosa and we're cooking with fire!

4th rd- Benjamin St-Juste CB, Minnesota-Ideal body for our scheme. Had 10 PBUs in 2019 no INTs though. He's a willing tackler. I can see him improving with turning those PBU's into INTs (we have met with him).

5th (156)- Dazz Newsome WR, UNC- Tough kid with great hands. He isn't scared to catch balls in the middle of the field (punt returner as well). He can separate and has good speed. He has a little Landry to his game, he's a slot only guy but IMO fits right in with the WR room. Doesn't shy away from blocking. Our new starting slot/punt returner guy.

5th (182)-Deommodore Lenoir CB, Oregon- Another zone heavy CB to throw into the mix. I have yet to watch a ton of his tape but he's someone SF has met with.

6th (196)-Wyatt Hubert EDGE, Kansas State- adding another EDGE to the group never hurts, he's got some bend and he's full of energy. Hero has a page on him showing some technique based pas rushes. He's got T-REX arms which will drop him. At the very worst he's a good ST guy.

7th-Jaelon Darden WR, North Texas- I don't think there's a chance he drops this far, but every single mock I have done he's a late day 3 pick. He's a jitterbug that's fast and eclectic with the ball in his hands. He's tinny and from a small school...I'll keep drafting him here if he keeping being available lol.

Welp there ya go....have at it
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Mar 1, 2021 at 6:01 AM ]
Losing Williams and Hyder, that kinda sucks....but it is what it is. I think if they lose Williams they will have to go Slater or Darrisaw in R1. I wish I could get more excited about Lance. You're right, no way Darden lasts till 7 though. Outside of Lance i like it overall, everything in need is addressed. I don't hate Lance, just scares me with lack of PT and soft schedule, I get that the upside is there.
Originally posted by Rathof44:
Losing Williams and Hyder, that kinda sucks....but it is what it is. I think if they lose Williams they will have to go Slater or Darrisaw in R1. I wish I could get more excited about Lance. You're right, no way Darden lasts till 7 though. Outside of Lance i like it overall, everything in need is addressed. I don't hate Lance, just scares me with lack of PT and soft schedule, I get that the upside is there.

I have SF resigning Trent...You must have missed the biggest off season signing on the team in my mock?

There's two type of fans in here. Ones they want to upgrade QB and ones that don't. Lance can run Kyle's offense imo. His ceiling is insane. Evaluate the traits.

yeah Darden isn't lasting until the end of the draft...I think he goes in the 5th though. There are sooo many good WRs in this draft.
Overall really like it.

-restructures and cap room created would be nice, don't think Williams will give a discount or break due to what I have read about him doing that already at WFT, he is ready to be paid I think
-does not sound like they want to get a QB in the draft (smokescreen) however Shanny seems to favor veteran QBs, mid level from FA.
-Lenoir I have seen and he is fine, just so many mid round DBs to choose from like Kary Vincent Jr., Israel Mukuamu, Keith Taylor Jr., Shaun Wade might be there later. Just a really good class for us
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Overall really like it.

-restructures and cap room created would be nice, don't think Williams will give a discount or break due to what I have read about him doing that already at WFT, he is ready to be paid I think
-does not sound like they want to get a QB in the draft (smokescreen) however Shanny seems to favor veteran QBs, mid level from FA.
-Lenoir I have seen and he is fine, just so many mid round DBs to choose from like , Keith Taylor Jr., Shaun Wade might be there later. Just a really good class for us

Honestly, Trent has already been paid (like $100M in the bank paid). He's not gonna go to a scrub team to finish out his career for a couple million more. We've hired his OL coach (whom he calls his second father) He has a great relationship with Kyle and likes being here. SF just needs to be in the ballpark with the cash. I don't see them letting him walk at all. I also don't think the contract I put out there is a discount at all. End of the day it's about the GTD cash not the APY (peeps got to realize this).

I don't see anything saying they don't want to get a QB in the draft? I mean we have nothing to really go off of with Kyle and QBs as a HC. He had plans to go get Kirk (who at the time was the top QB FA) and then Jimmy fell into their laps. CJ was never meant to be anything more then some developmental backup. I think it's kinda silly for anyone to assume what he wants at QB only a couple yrs as a HC....As far as a vet backup that cost money, something they don't have a ton of.

Yup a lot of good DBs in this draft. I'm not a Israel Mukuamu fan at all to be honest. Don't really see Kary Vincent Jr as a scheme fit. Big fan of Taylor, he was gone by this pick.

Thanks for the feedback.
He may not last that late, but Darden has a better chance of going undrafted than he does of going before round 5 imo. I like the moves.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like a lot of this NY. The only thing I would change is maybe not going for Kerrigan and bringing in a vet WR. Should anything happen to either Deebo or Aiyuk we will have nothing at WR.

Love the work put in to the mock and we should be set up nicely for the future here
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Overall really like it.

-Lenoir I have seen and he is fine, just so many mid round DBs to choose from like , Keith Taylor Jr., Shaun Wade might be there later. Just a really good class for us

Honestly, Trent has already been paid (like $100M in the bank paid). He's not gonna go to a scrub team to finish out his career for a couple million more. We've hired his OL coach (whom he calls his second father) He has a great relationship with Kyle and likes being here. SF just needs to be in the ballpark with the cash. I don't see them letting him walk at all. I also don't think the contract I put out there is a discount at all. End of the day it's about the GTD cash not the APY (peeps got to realize this).

I don't see anything saying they don't want to get a QB in the draft? I mean we have nothing to really go off of with Kyle and QBs as a HC. He had plans to go get Kirk (who at the time was the top QB FA) and then Jimmy fell into their laps. CJ was never meant to be anything more then some developmental backup. I think it's kinda silly for anyone to assume what he wants at QB only a couple yrs as a HC....As far as a vet backup that cost money, something they don't have a ton of.

Yup a lot of good DBs in this draft. I'm not a Israel Mukuamu fan at all to be honest. Don't really see Kary Vincent Jr as a scheme fit. Big fan of Taylor, he was gone by this pick.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yup, great response. thanks!
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Thanks for the feedback.

I think vincent could be a terrific kwaun replacement. Same build, both great athletes with a nose for the football. Mukuamu also has a ton of zone and cover 3 experience, although he plays a bit too rigidly so I'm with you on having mixed feelings for him. St. Juste is a great pick!
I do not think Trent Williams cap hit 2021 $7.5M 5yrs $90M is going to take 7.5 next year and I don't think he is going to average 18 mil a year. If they can get him for this, that's great for the 49ers. I'm not opposed to up grading the QB but I think they should really spend some time and draft capitol on the OL before they draft a QB. KC has a great QB , he running for his life and was hit a bunch because his OL was banged up. I would not want to do that to a rookie QB. For Trey Lance I don't think he has played enough to really know if he is good or not?? I understand that it is all a guess when picking in the draft but why chance the 7th pick on a guy that has played I think 17 and around 300 passing attempts ? If they like Tray Lance I ok with it. I do not think I would chance it at 7, or maybe not even 12.

Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I like a lot of this NY. The only thing I would change is maybe not going for Kerrigan and bringing in a vet WR. Should anything happen to either Deebo or Aiyuk we will have nothing at WR.

Love the work put in to the mock and we should be set up nicely for the future here

I mean they have nothing at EDGE. Bosa is coming off a big injury as well. They need a vet guy like Kerrigan.

I have them drafting two WRs.

Thanks for the feedback
Originally posted by Dman11:
I think vincent could be a terrific kwaun replacement. Same build, both great athletes with a nose for the football. Mukuamu also has a ton of zone and cover 3 experience, although he plays a bit too rigidly so I'm with you on having mixed feelings for him. St. Juste is a great pick!

Originally posted by dlance:
I do not think Trent Williams cap hit 2021 $7.5M 5yrs $90M is going to take 7.5 next year and I don't think he is going to average 18 mil a year. If they can get him for this, that's great for the 49ers. I'm not opposed to up grading the QB but I think they should really spend some time and draft capitol on the OL before they draft a QB. KC has a great QB , he running for his life and was hit a bunch because his OL was banged up. I would not want to do that to a rookie QB. For Trey Lance I don't think he has played enough to really know if he is good or not?? I understand that it is all a guess when picking in the draft but why chance the 7th pick on a guy that has played I think 17 and around 300 passing attempts ? If they like Tray Lance I ok with it. I do not think I would chance it at 7, or maybe not even 12.

Hey go talk to AB regarding the contracts, I just went off what he said and applied it....people need to realize it's not about APY it's about GTD money. More GTD money doesn't mean a higher APY.

I had them upgrading Center, resigning Trent and drafting Radnuz at 55? I mean that's good lol. Plus they have Colton who they loved and Brunskill/Garland as backups.

There isn't a team in the NFL that has top end talent at all the backup positions with OL. Half the league doesn't even have 5 starting NFL OL...you can't expect any position that loses 3 starters to be good, so the KC examples doesn't really hold water imo.

Lance isn't playing next yr, he's playing in 2022. Jimmy is still the starter....yes he's only got 17 starts so does someone like Jones. One thing I like is that they were snaps out of a pro-style offense. He calls all his own protections. He runs a very similar offense that we do.

Thanks for the feedback
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Feb 26, 2021 at 5:00 PM ]
Not completely sold on Lance but won't hate the luck, Radunz is a nice prospect, a lot of good OL will be available in the 2nd so you can go a lot of ways, Love Roche ! So many great slot WR choices, I like Newsome but have a couple I like more but again wouldn't be mad at the pick, Have to watch more on the Minnesota CB, Lenoir would be a steal at that point, he was the best CB on Oregon, now my biggest sleeper is Hubert, I just love his motor and relentless, great pick lol only thing is no S ? But nice mock, thanks NY.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
Not completely sold on Lance but won't hate the luck, Radunz is a nice prospect, a lot of good OL will be available in the 2nd so you can go a lot of ways, Love Roche ! So many great slot WR choices, I like Newsome but have a couple I like more but again wouldn't be mad at the pick, Have to watch more on the Minnesota CB, Lenoir would be a steal at that point, he was the best CB on Oregon, now my biggest sleeper is Hubert, I just love his motor and relentless, great pick lol only thing is no S ? But nice mock, thanks NY.

Thanks dude.

im sold on Lance in this offense, with Kyle. Same with Fields

I forgot to add Harris as another S. Divine Deablo is an option later as well
Share 49ersWebzone