There are 269 users in the forums

Yay Area's Mock Offseason #1

My thoughts surrounding the 49ers offseason have been pretty similar to most contributors on the board. Cutting Ford and Richburg is a necessity at this point. As is resigning Trent Williams. In terms of free agents, the two main targets I would go after are two the Geek mentioned, Alex Mack and Jarrad Davis. Additionally, I would target Ryan Kerrigan to provide depth along the defensive line. The main difference between how I see the offseason going is that while I would love to draft Wilson or Fields or Lawrence, or trade for Watson, I just don't think the price is worth it, especially after seeing the price it took for the Rams to get Stafford. So at this point, I am content going into next season with Garoppolo. Beyond that, my draft is below.

1 – Trade down to grab a lower 1st round pick and a second; Azeez Ojulari, DE, Georgia. The heir apparent to Dee Ford. He has the speed, athleticism, and production. Hopefully, he can be the anti-Dee Ford and stay healthy.
2 – Paulson Adebo, CB, Stanford. Good size and production. Good scheme fit. And CB is definitely a need.
2 - Jevon Holland, S, Oregon; Second piece of our rebuilt secondary. Top end speed, athleticism, and instincts.
3 (Comp Pick for Saleh) – Keith Taylor, CB, Washington; Great performance at the Senior Bowl. Like Adebo, he has great size and athletic traits, to go along with solid production.
4 - Alec Lindstrom, OC, Boston College; A little undersized, but like his brother Chris Lindstrom, he is a violent run blocker and in pass protection he plays with good leverage and good football intelligence and awareness.
4 (*Trade Up*) - Demetric Felton, WR/RB, UCLA. Another offensive weapon for Shanahan to play with. His versatility fits right in with Aiyuk and Samuel.
5 – Combine with second 5th rounder for another 4th.
5 (Projected Comp pick for Sanders) - Combined with first 5th to trade up for a second 4th.
5 (Kwon Alexander trade) – Elerson Smith, DE/OLB, Northern Iowa; Double dipping on edge rushers. Smith has elite natural tools, and is very agile and athletic. But at 6'7'', 245 lbs, he needs to bulk up a little bit and add some strength and weight.
6 – Ryan Neuzil, G, Appalachian State; One of the Sun Belt conferences best lineman, a PFF favorite, more than solid in both run and pass blocking; App State is a wide zone team, and per PFF Neuzil "generated more positively graded run blocks on outside zone runs than any guard in college football by a massive amount."
7 – Troy Warner, S, BYU; Fred's brother; He has suffered some injury setbacks and has bounced around from corner to safety; But he has settled in at the safety position this season and performed very well for BYU.
7 – (Jordan Willis trade) - John Bates, TE, Boise State; Underutilized TE, but has a track background and is a great athlete. He is a willing blocker. Somewhat similar to Kittle when we was coming out of Iowa.
[ Edited by YayArea on Feb 3, 2021 at 8:37 PM ]
II like it but we need more higher level of talent on this o line than just Mack.
Originally posted by lamontb:
II like it but we need more higher level of talent on this o line than just Mack.

I agree that offensive line is definitely a need. And I am definitely a proponent of drafting lineman every year. So that criticism is fair. I could have used a higher draft pick on an offensive lineman. But I think the prospect of Mack, Lindstrom, and Neuzil is pretty good. I think Neuzil is really good and is a perfect fit for the outside zone.
i like the draft. I love Azeez on a trade down a bit and hope he's there. I like that the secondary and OL has an infusion of some talent there along with depth on other units. I like Felton but I think we have enough playmakers to go around and I would rather get a QB to develop and long term backup like Stanford's Davis Mills. He has the tools and the scheme fit..maybe a future starter? Other than that.. nice draft!
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Feb 4, 2021 at 10:55 AM ]
Nice offseason mock there
Originally posted by frankieuc68:
i like the draft. I love Azeez on a trade down a bit and hope he's there. I like that the secondary and OL has an infusion of some talent there along with depth on other units. I like Felton but I think we have enough playmakers to go around and I would rather get a QB to develop and long term backup like Stanford's Davis Mills. He has the tools and the scheme fit..maybe a future starter? Other than that.. nice draft!

No QB is certainly a fair criticism. But I am not sure about Davis Mills. You read through his draft profiles and his strengths and weaknesses and it seems like he will be the next Jimmy G. Not a terrible thing, but that's not that great either. So I don't think that is who I would target. What would think if we swapped out Felton for Jamie Newman, the QB from Wake Forest?
[ Edited by YayArea on Feb 4, 2021 at 7:27 PM ]
Originally posted by YayArea:
Originally posted by frankieuc68:

No QB is certainly a fair criticism. But I am not sure about Davis Mills. You read through his draft profiles and his strengths and weaknesses and it seems like he will be the next Jimmy G. Not a terrible thing, but that's not that great either. So I don't think that is who I would target. What would think if we swapped out Felton for Jamie Newman, the QB from Wake Forest?

Not unless we bring back Mullens or Beathard with Rosen, I'm sure Shany will take a flier on another QB. But I like the draft alot because it addressed pretty much all our needs there. And if Jimmy crap again, and by all means we trade the farm for a QB IMO. This year fill all the leaks and Jimmy his last if he can stay healthy.
Share 49ersWebzone